HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:13 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousmcd View Post
Wasn't really a big fan of the orange and yellow buses, but I really like the ones from the late 90's with just the orange and white.
I always wished the city went with a blue and gold bus colour motif on everything. I've always felt those colours best represented the city. (you can substitute yellow for gold I guess)

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:02 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I always wished the city went with a blue and gold bus colour motif on everything. I've always felt those colours best represented the city. (you can substitute yellow for gold I guess)
Maybe we should do them up like in Bangladesh ...

Last edited by ILYR; May 14, 2007 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Maybe we should do them up like in Bangladesh ...

that would be cool

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:25 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

^Or better yet, Jeepneys from the Philippines...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:45 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
just don't lose the orange buses. they are great in a 70s-social-studies-textbook-cover way. i wish we still had our green-and-cream streetcars here.

I don't care how "Winnipeg" the colors are, just get rid of the orange and puke yellow. It's time for LONG OVERDUE change.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:34 PM

^ Nooo. Keep the orange, keep the black, keep the white. Get rid of the puke yellow. I like the bright orange fronts of the bus. You could see them a mile away.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 2:08 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Yeah me too .. blue and gold would look great on buses.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:24 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Yeah me too .. blue and gold would look great on buses.
Blue and gold in the Winnipeg context means the Blue Bombers colours, and I'm not a big fan of the CFL since it went with the mainly Carribean players.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:11 PM
Oppressive optimism

Sorry to swing this discussion from the colour of buses and what not, but does anybody else think that the Rapid Transit Task Force used nearly no imagination at all? From what I looked at, they only looked at LRT and BRT as realistic options with the occassional mention of the Yonge Street Subway or the Vancouver SkyTrain. I think we can all be realistic with our city government and assume that they didn't for one second consider either a SkyTrain or Subway for Winnipeg because of costs.

To search for myself, a mere citizen of Winnipeg mind you, I decided to take it to the web. I discovered, much as I figured would, that LRT and BRT are not the only realistic options for a city where project budgets are very critical to any new development. There are many options that the city could have investigated.

Although I admit that monorails are extremely expensive and probably out of Winnipeg's price range, there are still models that are perfectly affordable and effective. Side straddle monorails in particular.

"High Road Rapid Transit"
http://www.otg-inc.com/

"Flyda Elevated Transit System"
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/flyda.htm

"System 21 Side Straddle"
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/sys21.htm

There are many other side straddle monorail technologies that I have come across, but I feel that you get the point. I also came across various other technologies that I felt warranted investigation.

"Microrail Urban Transit"
http://www.megarail.com/MicroRail_Urban_Transit/

"SwedeTrack Flyway"
http://www.swedetrack.com/

"Aerobus"
http://www.aerobus.com/home.html

Hope you enjoyed looking at these.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousmcd View Post
Sorry to swing this discussion from the colour of buses and what not, but does anybody else think that the Rapid Transit Task Force used nearly no imagination at all? From what I looked at, they only looked at LRT and BRT as realistic options with the occassional mention of the Yonge Street Subway or the Vancouver SkyTrain. I think we can all be realistic with our city government and assume that they didn't for one second consider either a SkyTrain or Subway for Winnipeg because of costs.

To search for myself, a mere citizen of Winnipeg mind you, I decided to take it to the web. I discovered, much as I figured would, that LRT and BRT are not the only realistic options for a city where project budgets are very critical to any new development. There are many options that the city could have investigated.

Although I admit that monorails are extremely expensive and probably out of Winnipeg's price range, there are still models that are perfectly affordable and effective. Side straddle monorails in particular.

"High Road Rapid Transit"
http://www.otg-inc.com/

"Flyda Elevated Transit System"
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/flyda.htm

"System 21 Side Straddle"
http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/sys21.htm

There are many other side straddle monorail technologies that I have come across, but I feel that you get the point. I also came across various other technologies that I felt warranted investigation.

"Microrail Urban Transit"
http://www.megarail.com/MicroRail_Urban_Transit/

"SwedeTrack Flyway"
http://www.swedetrack.com/

"Aerobus"
http://www.aerobus.com/home.html

Hope you enjoyed looking at these.
I think the one thing that benefits us regardless is that our city is a lot smaller then say T.O, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary etc. So our costs to implenment what maybe (subway, LRT, skytrain, BRT etc.) wouldn't nearly be as much as what it costed the other cities. Now because our city is smaller compared too....... people may then say "why do we need RT here?" Fact is, we do need it here and the reasons are endless. If anything, all cities should be encouraged to implenment some form of RT especially if everyone is concerned about Global Warming, Gas Emissions and the enviornment........... it should become a standard in today's living. .

Go Green or Stay Home!

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alva360 View Post
Fact is, we do need it here and the reasons are endless. If anything, all cities should be encouraged to implenment some form of RT especially if everyone is concerned about Global Warming, Gas Emissions and the enviornment........... it should become a standard in today's living.
In true Winnipeg fashion, I have to complain about the sorry state of our city's poor transit system. And adding more diamond lanes or specially "branded" buses with "intelligent" bus stops won't attract new riders. The intent is to increase ridership and attract new users (switch from using car to using transit, etc).

As furiousmcd said, there are lots of options out there. Cost is a factor to be sure, but it can't be the only thing a government should base its final decision on. Sometimes you have to spend more to get more, you know? Build an elevated RT line along Portage Ave to Polo Park. Make Polo Park a transit node with RT transfers to the Airport, Red River College, etc. Heck build it out to Unicity too. Do the same along all our major arteries leaving DT, NIMBYs be damned. But just Do It! It's all been said before, but the longer our Gov't waits and "studies" this ad nauseum, the more expensive and inconvenient it will be to build it.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Surprise View Post
In true Winnipeg fashion, I have to complain about the sorry state of our city's poor transit system. And adding more diamond lanes or specially "branded" buses with "intelligent" bus stops won't attract new riders. The intent is to increase ridership and attract new users (switch from using car to using transit, etc).

As furiousmcd said, there are lots of options out there. Cost is a factor to be sure, but it can't be the only thing a government should base its final decision on. Sometimes you have to spend more to get more, you know? Build an elevated RT line along Portage Ave to Polo Park. Make Polo Park a transit node with RT transfers to the Airport, Red River College, etc. Heck build it out to Unicity too. Do the same along all our major arteries leaving DT, NIMBYs be damned. But just Do It! It's all been said before, but the longer our Gov't waits and "studies" this ad nauseum, the more expensive and inconvenient it will be to build it.

I don't disagree with you one bit.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 5:42 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:

I too 100% concur

But we all know the famous saying that brands this city like flies on shit and drags this city further and further back in time.
Everyone together now...............one....................two.....................three:

"But this is Winnipeg"

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Build an elevated RT line along Portage Ave to Polo Park.
And where would you put the stations? Winnipeg is one of the coldest cities on the planet. When you're standing in -35 C February weather you don't wanna wait outside, even if it's just for 5 to 10 minutes... underground along Portage Avenue and Main St. and through Osborne Village is the best method of keeping people warm while they wait for the train.

Quote:
Make Polo Park a transit node with RT transfers to the Airport, Red River College, etc. Heck build it out to Unicity too.
The area is not really called "Unicity" it's called Assiniboia, which includes the Crestview, Westwood, and St. Charles subdivisions. Assiniboia used to be a separate entity called the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia.

However, if it were to secede from Winnipeg it would be considered more urban, so... The City of Assiniboia.

Quote:
Do the same along all our major arteries leaving DT, NIMBYs be damned. But just Do It! It's all been said before, but the longer our Gov't waits and "studies" this ad nauseum, the more expensive and inconvenient it will be to build it.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 8:17 PM

Hey man, whatever works.......... as long as it gets done sooner rather then later. It just can't wait or be on hold for another 10, 15, 20yrs.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
And where would you put the stations? Winnipeg is one of the coldest cities on the planet. When you're standing in -35 C February weather you don't wanna wait outside, even if it's just for 5 to 10 minutes... underground along Portage Avenue and Main St. and through Osborne Village is the best method of keeping people warm while they wait for the train.
While I agree with your reasoning, an underground Subway (for some, ladies?) gives the perception of being a dirty, dangerous place - as if our downtown needed any help in that department! Can you imagine how many undesirables would hang out there?

I say, out of sight (subway) is out of mind. Instead, Winnipeg would be better to build a classy and modern system - at or above grade, advertising (visually) every day to residents and non-residents alike that we are a progressive city that is not ashamed to show off what it's got to offer. It will also add much needed visual density.

And yes on -40 days can you imagine how wonderful it would be to zoom above all those drivers on the crappy roads on a sunny Winnipeg winter day? Why be in a tunnel?

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 9:47 PM

Quote:
While I agree with your reasoning, an underground Subway (for some, ladies?) gives the perception of being a dirty, dangerous place - as if our downtown needed any help in that department! Can you imagine how many undesirables would hang out there?
Toronto's subway and Vancouver's SkyTrain and Montreal's Metro stations are all quite spiffy clean. I've been in all three since 2000.

As for the undesirables, you need to have good people security (ie Transit police), either riding along on the trains and/or walking the stations and platforms. Vancouver had some major problems with gangs hanging around the platforms and were intimidating the riders. In Toronto you have newsstands that help keep and eye on things. Vancouver is adding that element to the underground SkyTrain stations and it should help improve the safety issue quite considerably.

Quote:
I say, out of sight (subway) is out of mind. Instead, Winnipeg would be better to build a classy and modern system - at or above grade, advertising (visually) every day to residents and non-residents alike that we are a progressive city that is not ashamed to show off what it's got to offer. It will also add much needed visual density.
That's what an at-grade streetcar network would do, besides being functional way to move people around the central city.

Quote:
And yes on -40 days can you imagine how wonderful it would be to zoom above all those drivers on the crappy roads on a sunny Winnipeg winter day? Why be in a tunnel?
Why be in a tunnel? Because there is more loading capacity on a subway platform than there is above ground. Yes, there are exceptions to this rule... (ie. Chicago El, NY El.), but generally this is true.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 9:52 PM
Closed account

The environment under an El line is not that hospitable. Walking around Chicago under the El, or even Toronto under elevated expressways (Gardiner) is not a pleasant experience.

I'd much rather have it at grade.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:25 PM

Me too. Never met a street car I didn't like (enjoyed Portland and Stuttgart in particular) but I find subways more difficult to navigate. Why be below ground if you don't need to be? We don't really need the huge capacity a subway is built for.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:30 PM
the first stamp is free

At grade along the previous streetcar lines that existed throughout the city (and around which the city grew) would be my choice for the first and most important leg of a "rail"based transit system.
This would be by far the most bang for the buck in terms of visible impact and public perception of transit.

Have all the bus feeder lines stop around the downtown boundaries (Polo park, Osborne Village, etc.) such that during off peak times the only transit running through the core would be the streetcars. During peak times, it may be neccesary to run a couple of additional express buses, but even those could be done away with, with proper scheduling.

This would get rid of the ugly, noisy, smelly buses clogging the downtown. It would put a modern "in-your-face" transit system in the downtown, and start to build the transit ridership numbers required to start building true "rapid" feeders to the various outer suburbs of the city.

It's gotta start somewhere, and I really think it's gotta start with modern, at grade streetcars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan