HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Just have to say the last little bit has given me some new perspective on the traffic on the Perimeter and the volumes seems crazy on all fronts. The west side, especially between Portage and McGillivray is nuts. The north between Pipeline and Lag had be taking reroutes through the city and the south around St Mary's is bad but pales to the other two. I haven't been over on the east recently to see what it is like near Gunn Rd but last time I was it was just scary.

Pretty much the Perimeter as a whole is nearing a point where something needs to be done and not just on the south from Kennaston to Lag.
No shocker there. It's a 1966 road operating in a 2018 world. Nothing has changed with the Perimeter in the last 50+ years except for completing the NE segment and building 5 interchanges. Meanwhile population and traffic counts have soared. It would be interesting to get a traffic engineer's perspective on the deficiencies with the Perimeter relative to current standards. I bet there would be many.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 9:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Has there been, or is anyone going to start, a petition to get these highway programs going (Morris Bypass, St Nobert Bypass, Headingley Bypass, removal of traffic lights on TCH)? If it’s got enough momentum, it sure will become an election issue in 2021. I hope that whichever party gets elected will keep the promise and perform these upgrades then.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Has there been, or is anyone going to start, a petition to get these highway programs going (Morris Bypass, St Nobert Bypass, Headingley Bypass, removal of traffic lights on TCH)? If it’s got enough momentum, it sure will become an election issue in 2021. I hope that whichever party gets elected will keep the promise and perform these upgrades then.
Not a bad idea, although a concerted effort for specific improvements might be challenging. We even see it on this forum where everyone has an opinion on what should be done next, rather than go off traffic counts and collisions. Sure, our arguments are likely more informed than a regular Joe, but support for a given improvement is typically on what would best benefit an individual.

People in portage would be more likely to support an interchange at 1 and 16 than a Morris Bypass, and vice versa. St norbert residents more supportive of a bypass from Kenaston to 75 than an interchange at pipeline and perimeter etc...

Given that Manitoba Infrastructure and the current government has put forward the functional design study for south perimeter, that could be a start for a targeted petition. In the documents for that study, MI requested shovel ready designs for Mcgillivray and St Mary's rd interchanges with perimeter.

Even with the government tightening budgets, they might feel compelled to start these 2 projects to appeal to Winnipeg area voters where they tend to be more flip/flopping between NDP and PC, rather than the PCs strong rural support

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:34 PM

To be honest, in my travels lately McGillvary and the Perimeter isn't quite the hot spot that needs attention. Definitely no hotter than Kennaston/Waverly where the St Nobert by pass would hook in. The challenge with the St Nobert by pass is it is a little hard to pitch building another expensive interchange when the connection road isn't included. At this point I am thinking the CentrePort interchange is the new 59/101 interchange.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
To be honest, in my travels lately McGillvary and the Perimeter isn't quite the hot spot that needs attention. Definitely no hotter than Kennaston/Waverly where the St Nobert by pass would hook in. The challenge with the St Nobert by pass is it is a little hard to pitch building another expensive interchange when the connection road isn't included. At this point I am thinking the CentrePort interchange is the new 59/101 interchange.
The 'saving grace' for the trainwreck at kenaston, waverley, and 330 (la salle) is that these lights are in close proximity. I don't have data to back this up but I feel the more isolated lights are, the more dangerous. We saw high collision and death rates at pipeline/101 and hwy 1/16 the last 2 summers. I can't recall of any major incident in the last few years at Kenaston, Waverley or 330 (recall bias, I know). Even Brandon's 2 lights have not had deadly collision (quick google news search).

I think the reason McGillivray and St Mary's at Perimeter are on-deck for the next upgrades is due to higher volumes on the non-perimeter roads relative to other intersections, which forces the province to lengthen the light cycle causing backups on perimeter. Kenaston, Waverley, 330, St annes, Dugald, 1/16, pipeline rarely have traffic that waits more than 1 light cycle, whereas McGillivray and St Marys regularly have backed up traffic that leads to impatient driver decisions.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:50 AM

1 and 16 isn't going to be an election issue. The chance of a non-Conservative winning in the area is nil. Probably the bigger issue with 1 and 16 are semi-drivers who shouldn't even have a license being on the road. Left turn signals would alleviate much of the risk too.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
1 and 16 isn't going to be an election issue. The chance of a non-Conservative winning in the area is nil. Probably the bigger issue with 1 and 16 are semi-drivers who shouldn't even have a license being on the road. Left turn signals would alleviate much of the risk too.
You do know the accidents there were caused by people in cars not watching for the semis and turning on the red. THe semis have nothing to do with that clusterfuck it’s stupid drivers and a stupid design.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
You do know the accidents there were caused by people in cars not watching for the semis and turning on the red. THe semis have nothing to do with that clusterfuck it’s stupid drivers and a stupid design.
There have been many accidents over many years. The last rash of big crashes have been caused by semis travelling east-west on 1 running reds and hitting vehicles or other semis with the right of way either going south or turning from 16 onto 1 East.

It isn't a great design but if people don't follow the pretty basic rules (red=stop), what does it matter? Do you think they'll be better at merging? The huge lobby for change there is really truckers who don't want to stop, which is the primary cause of the problem to begin with.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Here's my take though: Since Highway 1 is the main arterial highway throughout the province, it makes sense that cars don't wanna slow down (110 -> 100 -> 80 or really, 140 -> 120 -> 100), much less stop.
For Elie, Brandon and Virden, at least the traffic lights make a bit more sense because there are towns surrounding the highway (although they should still be taken out and it needs to be done quick before the province pulls a St-Nobert again). The intersection(s) of 1 & 16 (and 1 & 207 east of Winnipeg, too), on the other hand, make(s) little sense.

But yes, I do agree that no design is good enough if people aren't gonna drive according to the rules.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:46 PM

Looking for input. Does anyone know:

1. Why there is parking during rush hour on north Main, permitting only 2 through lanes? Compare to Henderson where there are 3 lanes and arguably less traffic.

2. Any plans for capital improvements on Henderson north of Gilmour to 101? This stretch has become increasingly dangerous with the new condos & apartment buildings. Bonner very bad with people taking chances.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post

1. Why there is parking during rush hour on north Main, permitting only 2 through lanes? Compare to Henderson where there are 3 lanes and arguably less traffic.

2. Any plans for capital improvements on Henderson north of Gilmour to 101? This stretch has become increasingly dangerous with the new condos & apartment buildings. Bonner very bad with people taking chances.
Henderson north of Gilmour is a joke, three lanes down to two lanes each direction, undivided roadway with no less traffic than any other stretch of Henderson. The COW mantra, why change and improve roadways that we're perfectly fine in 1969!

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:

Design work is proposed to start in 2019 for upgrading Gilmore to city limits (Glenway) according to the 2018 Capital budget

Class Estimate: 3
Funding in 2019 is for a preliminary design and class 3 construction estimate.
The preliminary design will consider urbanization of the roadway, provision of pedestrian and cycling accommodation, introduction of a
median and associated access management. The preliminary design will also consider replacement of the existing box culvert at the
Bunn's Creek crossing complete with a water control gate chamber.

Anything past Gilmore is the RM of East St. Paul / MB Infrastructure and Transportation responsibility for improvements.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:50 PM

MIT has already divided 204 south almost to Foxgrove. I’m sure MIT and COW would not leave 200 m undivided north of Glenway, but you never know!

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
MIT has already divided 204 south almost to Foxgrove. I’m sure MIT and COW would not leave 200 m undivided north of Glenway, but you never know!
I wonder if was MIT or the developer that paid for PR 204's renovations as part of the Countryside Crossing civil works?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

Anything past Gilmore is the RM of East St. Paul / MB Infrastructure and Transportation responsibility for improvements.
The COW continues north past Gilmore for almost 2 km...up to Glenway.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The COW continues north past Gilmore for almost 2 km...up to Glenway.
Yeah, I think he just misspoke. Earlier he said to the city limits at Glenway.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Yeah, I think he just misspoke. Earlier he said to the city limits at Glenway.
your right I was on my coffee break at work and put in Gilmore for some reason instead of Glenway.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:10 PM

This hole blocking the sidewalk on Fort is still there. Looks untouched, it's just a pile of crap with no way to get around.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:36 PM

Peguis and concodia is closed again, i see they are adding a sidewalk, but did they just re-do the road work what was done last year?

Is it ever going to get twinned to concordia?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 7:31 PM

I think the reason for the closure is to do warranty work on the roadway. The road sunk on the north side.

Peguis won't be twinned until a larger project is done with Concordia, or the developer actually get's the additional lanes in for peguis south of the tracks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan