HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo Blue View Post
That is the old Wells Fargo Bank logo.
Yes, you can see a Wells Fargo stagecoach in the center of the logo. 444 (formerly Wells Fargo) Building was used as the fictional location of "L.A. Law" in the old TV show. That was a pretty good show. Does anybody know where the fictional insurance company in the classic film noir "Double Indemnity" was filmed? Maybe it was just filmed on a movie set. In the film, they said it was on Olive Street. The office scenes looked like it was filmed in an actual office building, not a movie set.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 24, 2018 at 10:33 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:00 PM

I always thought Double Indemnity was filmed at the Title Guaranty Building....

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 8:03 PM

Spent some time downtown last weekend. Went to a friends birthday at Precicnt bar lol for those of you who know what that is. I noticed a few things while down there.

1. Broadway was reallllllly busy. Traffic wasnt horrible but the foot traffic put a smile on my face.

2. Broadway is still very grungy. Even the rehabbed buildings still feel like they have barely been touched. Maybe it was because it was night and everything looks a little dirtier/dark but i still felt more could have been done to some of those rehabbed facades.

3. The sidewalks on Broadway and adjacent need to be replaced asap and so does the street. A friend of mine wearing heels got her heel stuck in a crack near Clifftons.

4. Clifftons was realllllly busy. People were standing in the street. Im not sure if they were waiting to get in or if they were being pushed out, this was around midnight.

5. Braodway Palace. Monolithic inside and out. Even my 2 friends from out of town had to comment on how massive the complex is and how imposing it is when driving up Broadway from the south. A friend of mine lives in them. I was impressed with the retro gatsby-ish theme but the units are the size of shoe boxes. and for 2300 a month, even with all of the ammentities i dont feel its worth it.

Overall. I feel downtown is finally reaching that point where it will have a continuous flow of proposals and new things happening and being built. I look forward to the new proposals on smaller lots.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Spent some time downtown last weekend. Went to a friends birthday at Precicnt bar lol for those of you who know what that is. I noticed a few things while down there.

1. Broadway was reallllllly busy. Traffic wasnt horrible but the foot traffic put a smile on my face.

2. Broadway is still very grungy. Even the rehabbed buildings still feel like they have barely been touched. Maybe it was because it was night and everything looks a little dirtier/dark but i still felt more could have been done to some of those rehabbed facades.

3. The sidewalks on Broadway and adjacent need to be replaced asap and so does the street. A friend of mine wearing heels got her heel stuck in a crack near Clifftons.

4. Clifftons was realllllly busy. People were standing in the street. Im not sure if they were waiting to get in or if they were being pushed out, this was around midnight.

5. Braodway Palace. Monolithic inside and out. Even my 2 friends from out of town had to comment on how massive the complex is and how imposing it is when driving up Broadway from the south. A friend of mine lives in them. I was impressed with the retro gatsby-ish theme but the units are the size of shoe boxes. and for 2300 a month, even with all of the ammentities i dont feel its worth it.

Overall. I feel downtown is finally reaching that point where it will have a continuous flow of proposals and new things happening and being built. I look forward to the new proposals on smaller lots.
Did you get a chance to venture around Spring St.? Or pregame at Bar Mattachine? 😉

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:

I have similar sentiments about Broadway in particular. So many beautiful buildings that need cleaned up or restored. I hate those pieces of sidewalk that are colorful. Not only ugly, but they get really slippery in the rain! I love where DTLA is going, but it still needs so much more work..

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 10:57 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I have similar sentiments about Broadway in particular. So many beautiful buildings that need cleaned up or restored. I hate those pieces of sidewalk that are colorful. Not only ugly, but they get really slippery in the rain! I love where DTLA is going, but it still needs so much more work..
You mean the terrazzo? That's all historic stuff, and should be restored if anything.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 3:54 AM

City century tower news was that it was downsized to 10 floors from 37 per urbanized.la but curbed la is saying it got upped to 40 stories... so which is it? I hope curbed is right although urbanized is my favorite and most trusted development page.

https://la.curbed.com/2018/5/24/1738...-tower-century

Last edited by 112597jorge; May 25, 2018 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
You mean the terrazzo? That's all historic stuff, and should be restored if anything.
Indeed. Don't know about saving it. A lot of it is in pretty bad shape!

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 4:37 AM
life is good

Yeah I heard Clifton's is popping, esp on the weekends. I've never been but my friend goes regularly and said to get into the nicest club there the tables are hella expensive and even if you get in line at 11pm you probably aren't getting in

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 6:04 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Indeed. Don't know about saving it. A lot of it is in pretty bad shape!
Yes, saving terrazzo in bad shape is called... restoration

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 6:38 AM

I think the terrazzo floors should be restored. It’s unique to DTLA, or all of LA... maybe even California. To have so many on one street, just like the movie palaces.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 6:52 AM

I'm all for the Terrazzo floors, they actually stuck out to me because they caught me off guard, I was surprised to see them, I kept looking down, sadly most slabs are in bad shape. I think it would be cool if the entire stretch of Broadway Downtown had them. Another thing. I wouldn't be against Broadway being completely shut off from car traffic (think 3rd street promenade) with red cars running down its center to give it that retro feel and maybe an art like canopy installation over most of it. After spending a day down there, I truly now feel Broadway can be downtowns natural entertainment corridor. If that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Did you get a chance to venture around Spring St.? Or pregame at Bar Mattachine? ������
I sadly haven't spent a lot of time on Spring street, I honestly forget about it sometimes. We actually pregamed at the Broadway Palace. Ended up starting at Preux & Proper which I recommend everyone visit at least once during happy hour. We were on our way to Bar Mattachine but it seemed busy and we were already wasted so kept on to Precinct. Somehow ended up at the Eagle but that's a totally different story

I'm just happy that in my lifetime, I get to see downtown transform into a beast.

Last edited by caligrad; May 25, 2018 at 7:10 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
City century tower news was that it was downsized to 10 floors from 37 per urbanized.la but curbed la is saying it got upped to 40 stories... so which is it? I hope curbed is right although urbanized is my favorite and most trusted development page.

https://la.curbed.com/2018/5/24/1738...-tower-century
Well urbanize must have corrected their story. They are now also saying its been upped to 40 floors.

http://urbanize.la/post/40-story-apa...sed-12th-grand

I've been wondering what had happened to this project and their other smaller tower near by that is supposed to be 24 floors if I remember correctly.

I look forward to this kind of infill. Developers aren't pressured to develop entire city blocks like with Oceanwide, Metropolis and the Luxe site, so we'll be getting a better variety of development which I think is amazing and needed at this point in the game.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Spent some time downtown last weekend.
Among the best type of posts because they give a good sense of what's going on in dtla from an up close, first hand perspective!

Broadway is still a work in progress. I don't know why both the city & the area's bid district....I'm assuming broadway is part of one....can't deal better with the problems you noticed. The landlords of bldgs like the roxy should be publicly slapped on the head for allowing their bldgs to be so rundown & covered with graffiti for yrs & yrs.

As for the owners of bldgs who've at least cleaned them up, but not enough to satisfy everyone's standards? That's a harder call to make....don't know how it should be dealt with. but when it comes to public areas in dt, inc sidewalks along broadway, they need to be overseen by constant cleaning patrols.

Video Link

^ a lot of what's listed in her vid didn't exist, was in very poor shape or was shutdown not too many yrs ago.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:11 PM

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 8:26 PM

^Healthy dose of May gray in that video! I have to say, though, that the Oceanwide project looks particularly nice in that overcast lighting.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:49 AM

thought this should be inserted here mainly since it wouldn't have occurred too many yrs ago when LA was in fairly bad shape east of La brea, crenshaw, Vermont, or even as far west as fairfax.

The last time the entertainment crowd was more a part of dtla was over 60 yrs ago....such as when mary pickford built & opened the UA theater on broadway, now the ace hotel. Before & after WWII, LA's celebs & VIPs started moving farther & farther west from the 1940s onward. First to around the ambassador hotel area east of mid wilshire, then to the miracle mile area, then further west to around the former backlot of 20th century fox studios.

DT has taken over 60, 70 yrs to recover......a case of what goes around, comes around. Or even a first in the history of LA....there wasn't much or any nice housing in dtla during the first half of the 1900s.

Quote:
How Beyonce and Jay-Z Celebrated Their 10th Wedding Anniversary in L.A.

Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images

Prior to Beyonce's Coachella performances, THR has learned that Bey and Jay-Z celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary with a private rooftop dinner at a downtown L.A. hotspot. The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the couple celebrated their anniversary by reserving the entire rooftop at The NoMad Hotel Los Angeles, the city’s hot new downtown destination. Located at Giannini Place, a historic landmark built in 1922, the hotel is fast becoming known for its Italian and Mediterranean-inspired rooftop pool deck, which features an outdoor fireplace known as the Orcus Mouth, similar to the one found in the Gardens of Bomarzo in Italy. A well-placed source says the couple dined alfresco (not far from the fireplace) and took in the sweeping views of DTLA from 12 stories above.

Adding this since it surprised me....due mainly to certain major cities not being on the list. Builders of new housing in a city probably are fully aware of the info & track it on a regular basis:

Quote:
The 15 Cities With the Largest Numeric Increase Between July 1, 2016, and July 1, 2017 (Populations of 50,000 or more in 2016)

1 San Antonio city, Texas

2 Phoenix city, Arizona

3 Dallas city, Texas

4 Fort Worth city, Texas

5 Los Angeles city, California

6 Seattle city, Washington

7 Charlotte city, North Carolina

8 Columbus city, Ohio

9 Frisco city, Texas

10 Atlanta city, Georgia

11 San Diego city, California

12 Austin city, Texas

13 Jacksonville city, Florida

14 Irvine city, California

15 Henderson city, Nevada

Last edited by citywatch; May 26, 2018 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:38 AM

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 4:11 PM

now

Video Link

a little over a year ago

Video Link

about 2 years ago

Video Link

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 8:54 PM

1120 Grand Ave. & 820 Olive St.

Saturday 5/26

1120 Grand Ave.

820 Olive St. (Left) and The Level (Right)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations