HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
I would think a shaky home economy is EXACTLY why SH would want to park their money in a relatively safe place like Los Angeles. And the fact that they announced a deal with W Hotel not even a year ago (in the very middle of, mind you, the tumble of the Chinese stock market) seems even more promising.
Exactly. Sure things can change, but im very confident with the Luxe project.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 11:56 PM

Great to see the USC area and DTLA continue it's march toward full connection, 1 parcel at a time!
If anyone can get pics of the USC Village would be great. My understanding is it's progressed very quickly.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLA View Post
If anyone can get pics of the USC Village would be great. My understanding is it's progressed very quickly.
Here's an image of the USC Village from today provided by USC's live webcam of the project.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Is there any reason to believe Shenzen Hazens won't follow through with 1020 Fig? They've announced a 2017 start date -- still a year out. Seems like Chinese money tends to follow through with such mega-projects. I can understand throwing around smaller projects (Lizard In, etc.), but not a $1-2bn development.

I'm more curious about Lightstone's announcement to build two towers on the Hooter's lot adjacent to Circa. Seems their Moxy Hotel chain is expanding nicely, and DTLA is a very logical place to move into. If this comes through along with 1020 Fig (not even mentioning the Onni towers on Flower), the once-barren stretch across from Staples/ConvCen will be filled in quite nicely.
I think it will happen. I'm just being openly cautious. Only one person on here oddly and randomly said it was dead. Shenzen has always said 2017 was the start date so until we hear bad news from them directly, It should still be a go.

The ONLY thing that weighs on my mind is that the Chinese government a few months ago during the height of their downturn told developers/ investors to slow down on investing outside of their country, to help jump start their own economy, But who knows, Believing what the media says is like taking what people say on here seriously.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:41 AM

It looks like the WG crown has essentially topped out as of today (OK, technically yesterday since it's now past midnight). I say this because the last horizontal beam placed has a slight downward slope to it and is in the position of the highest point in the crown per the renders. Any more real vertical growth at this point will come only from the spire.

Nice!!!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:46 AM

Last edited by cesar90; Jul 14, 2016 at 7:58 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:19 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/warehouses-g...nts-south-park

Warehouses along the Blue/Expo Line tracks on Flower Street to be demolished for a seven-story development with 147 apartments on upper levels and either 1) 5 live-work units + 1,200 sq. ft of retail at ground level or 2) 6,700 square feet of retail space.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:45 PM

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/a...06c5d8a55.html

Quote:
A Bruising Building Battle

In March 2015, prominent landowner and developer Equity Residential announced plans to build a 33-story tower at the northeast corner of Fourth and Hill streets. Equity staff have spent more than a year pursuing permits and approvals, as well as reaching out to community groups such as the Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council. The goal is to break ground on the building known as The Beacon this year, with construction slated to last two years.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:18 PM

^^^
I'm actually on the "Nimbys" side on this one. 9 levels of parking with 433 parking spaces on top of a subway stop is insane. No where else but LA. That being said I like the tower design, I dont buy the clashing with the historic character argument.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:40 PM

^Yeah but 428 units with 433 spaces. It still should be less but that's probably the best space:unit ratio we've ever seen downtown. And the dude who says “It would be very easy for them to put it underground.” No it wouldn't because it's above a subway station.
I think the podium would turn out fine because they're hiding it with units around the parking.

Also the excuse NIMBYs always give. “It’s just too big and would have a negative impact on the businesses around it,” Moses said. “I’m pro-development. We want new projects and welcome new tenants, but not when it negatively impacts the neighborhood.”

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
“I’m pro-development. We want new projects and welcome new tenants, but not when it negatively impacts the neighborhood.”
Says every NIMBY ever...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:16 PM

Well looks like my friends were right about their first impression of "Lawsuit" with the Skyspace LA slide at the US Bank Tower.

Not even a full month of it being open and a woman is suing for a broken ankle and her lawsuit also makes a couple of issues with the slide known.

http://mynewsla.com/business/2016/07...-ankle-injury/

I'm willing to bet that the slide will be taken down before 2020 hits.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:38 PM

In regards to the 4th and Hill tower debate. The DUMBEST arguments I've heard from nimbys in a long time.

"It will be very easy for them to put the parking underground"

HOW????????? half of the building will be cantilevering over a subway station ! how on earth will it be easy for them to put all parking underground ?

"Its too tall for the area"

HOW??????? god forbid we build tall buildings DOWNTOWN and just a block away we have some of downtowns tallest, and the site across the street is entitled for something very tall as well!

"Its too big and dense"

Unbelievable. Shoot me.

"It would push up against an alley that services grand central market and make it narrower and squeeze traffic"

You hate the parking garage (house for cars) but a champion for car traffic in an alley? pick a side.

“It’s just too big and would have a negative impact on the businesses around it,”

HHHMMMM density is somehow bad for surrounding businesses? Someone on here said that before. I truly wish someone would explain that to me because other major cities in the world would love to argue against that.

The ONLY thing I agree with is, yeah, sitting right on top of a subway station, the current parking numbers could probably be cut in half. But at a ratio of about 1 parking space for each unit. That's not horrible. Its better than some of the 7 story buildings with 1.5 parking spaces for each unit and other buildings that provide parking for the retail component as well.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 14, 2016 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:02 PM

Happy about The Beacon going up, now let's build The Alexan and 920 Hill.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:04 PM

Eight-story building planned at 5th/Witmer/Hartfodr. 182 market rate apartments and 36 affordable units.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Quote:
Moses argued that the building does not fit with the style and size of the historic neighborhood, charging that it is too big and dense compared to its neighbors.

“It’s just too big and would have a negative impact on the businesses around it,” Moses said. “I’m pro-development. We want new projects and welcome new tenants, but not when it negatively impacts the neighborhood.”

Bar-Zemer echoed Moses, saying that design of The Beacon lacks setbacks, meaning that it stretches out to the ends of its lot, butting up against the much smaller La Cita and the sidewalk.

Chandler said the group is considering both a petition campaign and hiring an attorney to pursue a legal avenue to stop or alter the project.

Smith said that Equity Residential plans to start construction as soon as the tower gets final approval.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:41 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

There are two major holes in their arguments that I'm surprised no one has brought up:

1. There's a 10-story parking garage already on that same block (on 3rd and Hill), for the apartments and Grand Central Market. So there most certainly is precedence for an 8 or 9-story podium/garage.

2. David Gray and Harry Chandler, two of the four big names against this project, developed and own the recently opened Grayson, who stand to lose some money in rent as the western views of their apartments are blocked. Cedd Moses, another big name opposing the project, is looking to open up a bar in that building, and this could have implications for valet parking service for that bar. So while they claim their dissent is based on "concerns for the area," they are far more concerned with the impact to their specific project(s).
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
There are two major holes in their arguments that I'm surprised no one has brought up:

1. There's a 10-story parking garage already on that same block (on 3rd and Hill), for the apartments and Grand Central Market. So there most certainly is precedence for an 8 or 9-story podium/garage.

2. David Gray and Harry Chandler, two of the four big names against this project, developed and own the recently opened Grayson, who stand to lose some money in rent as the western views of their apartments are blocked. Cedd Moses, another big name opposing the project, is looking to open up a bar in that building, and this could have implications for valet parking service for that bar. So while they claim their dissent is based on "concerns for the area," they are far more concerned with the impact to their specific project(s).
exactly. Just like every other nimby group / opposition, they are full of hot air and are only concerned about their specific interests

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post

Eight-story building planned at 5th/Witmer/Hartfodr. 182 market rate apartments and 36 affordable units.

Just letting you know that you linked the original story you posted this morning for the South Park development.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Well looks like my friends were right about their first impression of "Lawsuit" with the Skyspace LA slide at the US Bank Tower.

Not even a full month of it being open and a woman is suing for a broken ankle and her lawsuit also makes a couple of issues with the slide known.

http://mynewsla.com/business/2016/07...-ankle-injury/

I'm willing to bet that the slide will be taken down before 2020 hits.

There seems to be a lot of video of people near face-planting off of the cushion dangerously close to the hard floor that leaves me questioning why they don't invest in inflatable barriers or at least get a bigger cushion. I'm not surprised there's a lawsuit this soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcCVFHMYnX0

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations