HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's not a bike lane - it's a shared street. Basically means that cyclists can use that section of road and cars have to sit behind them until an opportunity arises to pass, IE don't honk at the cyclists or try to run them over like what happened here in Ottawa.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...vers-1.4750928

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ists-1.4748470
With all due respect, that's the dumbest design I've ever seen. It literally sets up confrontation between cyclists and motorists - the exact opposite, I'm sure, of what they were trying to accomplish.

I can understand how both cyclists and motorists would feel in that circumstance, but I'll tell you there's no way that I as a cyclist would ride out in the middle of traffic like that - it's just not good sense.

As an aside, unless they are using some kind of 'special' paint, I suspect those green blocks would become quite slippery in the rain and could possibly cause a cyclist to fall in front of a moving vehicle in the right combination of circumstances, such as hitting the front brake a little too aggressively for example.

Honestly, is that the best they could come up with?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
With all due respect, that's the dumbest design I've ever seen. It literally sets up confrontation between cyclists and motorists - the exact opposite, I'm sure, of what they were trying to accomplish.

I can understand how both cyclists and motorists would feel in that circumstance, but I'll tell you there's no way that I as a cyclist would ride out in the middle of traffic like that - it's just not good sense.

As an aside, unless they are using some kind of 'special' paint, I suspect those green blocks would become quite slippery in the rain and could possibly cause a cyclist to fall in front of a moving vehicle in the right combination of circumstances, such as hitting the front brake a little too aggressively for example.

Honestly, is that the best they could come up with?
It may snow later today because it is only on a subzero day in June that I have ever agreed so wholeheartedly with every single word in your post.

This idea is simply sheer lunacy. Hit the brakes before someone gets hurt.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I'm curious what the Vernon-Seymour transition now looks like. That was always the trickiest part.
That intersection work is on hold until Capitol Suites is done with their sidewalk closures.

The plan is for a half-signalized intersection with traffic lights on Coburg and stop signs on Vernon/Seymour. New crosswalk on the west side of the intersection and bicycle detection for the signals which will assist crossings at peak hours. General traffic will be limited to right-turn only from Vernon/Seymour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I'm wondering if they're going to put in any physical implement here to actually prevent through traffic from cars. I'm not sure what that would look like, though.
There was plans for a raised island with a cyclist gap on Jubilee at Vernon but it was dropped in the final design. Not sure of the reason but I'm guessing allowing for left turns was part of the logic. I bike this street frequently and so far people are ignoring the signs so if that doesn't change Halifax will either need to enforce the signage or create a physical barrier.

The ALLAN STREET LOCAL STREET BIKEWAY is also being constructed this summer. This project includes a pedestrian bump-out at Chebucto Lane, curb repairs, new pavement and speed humps.

Work will not be completed for the traffic diversion at Allan/Harvard due to the ongoing legal action. The treatment for the Allan/Oak/Oxford intersection is also still being determined. It may become a pedestrian half-signal.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

In exciting news construction will commence on the SOUTH PARK STREET PROTECTED BIKE LANES in a couple of weeks! This is Halifax's first major overhaul of a main street dedicated to AAA bicycle and pedestrian improvements. It will feature the new designs for protected lanes, bus stop treatments, pedestrian bump-outs and intersection markings for cyclists.

- DJ

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
In exciting news construction will commence on the SOUTH PARK STREET PROTECTED BIKE LANES in a couple of weeks! This is Halifax's first major overhaul of a main street dedicated to AAA bicycle and pedestrian improvements. It will feature the new designs for protected lanes, bus stop treatments, pedestrian bump-outs and intersection markings for cyclists.
You neglected to mention the near-$1 million price tag.

Having said that, S. Park St made poor use of the street width so improvements were overdue. However these improvements will largely be the typical HRM strategy of removing parking and punishing drivers.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 1:19 PM

Mason was crowing on Twitter about the South Park St work and Sue Uteck in her role as head of the SGR Business Assoc. took him to task for the nearly $300K budget overrun. He immediately made a snide remark about the present Council actually doing things instead of studying them (Ha!) and then, rather incredibly, threatened to screencap her post and send it to the SGRBDA Board, as if he held some influence with them. Bullying at its finest. How does this guy keep from getting beat up, much less elected?

I also note with interest he has weighed in on the proposed Inverness airport project in an opinion piece in the Herald. If that massively overinflated ego balloon of his ever bursts, the damage could be catastrophic.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I also note with interest he has weighed in on the proposed Inverness airport project in an opinion piece in the Herald. If that massively overinflated ego balloon of his ever bursts, the damage could be catastrophic.
I do believe he is a member of USNM (FNSM??... whatever the group representing NS municipalities is called these days), and such commentary would be within his role there.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I do believe he is a member of USNM (FNSM??... whatever the group representing NS municipalities is called these days), and such commentary would be within his role there.
I suspect the members from Inverness county would not be on board with the view he expressed. That was pure Mason ego at work yet again.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 12:09 AM

All it means is that only bikes can go straight through jubilee when traveling on vernon. Cars must turn left or right. Its meant to prevent vernon as a short cut. Cars can still travel on vernon. There is a similar sign at vernon and Quinpool, where bikes can be straight through to quingate, but cars can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'm sure that's what it means but it's not really well marked. There should additionally be something that physically narrows the entrance to the street to make it obvious that this is the case.

It would be unfair to residents to tell them they could no longer park their cars at their houses, so that 2 or 3 cyclists per day could use their street, but the photo looks like there's more traffic than I would expect to see from residents going to/from their homes.

Seems to be kind of a Mickey Mouse way to do it but I haven't been to the site, so maybe it's easier to understand when you are there.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 10:52 AM

Early reports are that the ban on straight-through driving is being widely ignored, but that may just be false narratives from the cycling activists. I cannot see residents putting up with this for long though.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
All it means is that only bikes can go straight through jubilee when traveling on vernon. Cars must turn left or right. Its meant to prevent vernon as a short cut. Cars can still travel on vernon. There is a similar sign at vernon and Quinpool, where bikes can be straight through to quingate, but cars can't.

Thanks for the explanation. That clears up my confusion about it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure