HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:33 PM

Calgary group aims to make city a global finance centre

By Gina Teel, Calgary HeraldOctober 30, 2009

Calgary - already a key hub in energy finance - wants to position itself as a global leader beyond oil and gas.Photograph by: Dean Bicknell, Calgary HeraldCalgary - already a key hub in energy finance - wants to position itself as a global leader beyond oil and gas.

Over the next five years a new advisory committee loaded with financial sector heavyweights will leverage Calgary’s cachet as an energy capital to bolster its status as a global financial centre among other industries.

The Financial Sector Advisory Committee will focus its efforts on diversifying Calgary’s capital market base to attract global firms to the city to do more than just energy transactions, officials said Thursday.

The goal of the nearly two-dozen member committee, a collaboration between Calgary Economic Development and industry leaders, is to educate and to help facilitate the growth of the financial service sector, said George Gosbee, executive director, Macquarie Capital and committee co-chair.

“The financial service sector right now is predominantly based off of the backbone of the energy sector and what we would like to do is grow it from just energy to other industries,” he said following an event in Calgary to introduce committee members.

Positioning Calgary as a global financial centre is one of several goals arising from the 10-year Calgary Economic Development strategy.

The formation of the committee is an important first step to achieving that goal, said Bruce Graham, president, Calgary Economic Development and committee co-chair.

“We believe there’s significant opportunities for Calgary to leverage the existing capital investment that is coming into this region and going out of this region,” he said.

Gosbee said the committee would also like to grow what’s called ‘assets under management’ in the city to the tune of $200 billion, excluding AIMco (Alberta Investment Management Corp. is represented on the committee.)

Having a strong buy side, or assets under management, in the city attracts a lot of companies to come looking for capital, and in turn awareness to the city, he said.

“To have $200 billion when there’s a company around the globe that needs to raise money, if it’s Boeing or McDonald’s, they’ll visit Calgary,” Gosbee said.

“You can’t buy better publicity for a city than having CEOs of companies around the world come to your city looking for capital or advice,” he said.

Among the committee’s goals are attracting a head office of a multinational bank, for instance.

However, the wealth of experience the financial service sector has in the transaction-dependent energy patch alone lends itself to plenty of other industries, Gosbee said.

In the near term, Graham said the most obvious opportunities would be taking small positions and getting a foothold in the investment banking side.

As to whether the committee envisions seeing a national bank headquartered in Toronto relocating to Calgary, Graham said a more likely scenario would be for a bank to expand its presence here because of the unique opportunities.

(All Canada’s major banks maintain western head offices here, he noted, making Calgary the banking centre of Western Canada.)“I’m not anticipating that this is about moving a head office or a bank out of Toronto. It may be having a stronger footprint of those institutions here in the west," he told reporters.

The financial service sector already has a big footprint in Calgary, he said, employing more than 22,000 people.

Over the past 10 years, 80 per cent of the financial service sector jobs created in the province were occurring in Calgary.

Mayor Dave Bronconnier said financial services is vital to any growing economy and a key step to harnessing future growth for the city.

“When you look at the expertise that exists in the Calgary marketplace, it’s something that we want to leverage and use that to strengthen the economy in southern Alberta,” Bronconnier said.

gteel@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Exciting! Let's hope it bears fruit.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 8:43 PM

Sweet, lets steal some banks from TO.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 10:52 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post

By Gina Teel, Calgary HeraldOctober 30, 2009

Calgary - already a key hub in energy finance - wants to position itself as a global leader beyond oil and gas...

Positioning Calgary as a global financial centre is one of several goals arising from the 10-year Calgary Economic Development strategy.

The formation of the committee is an important first step to achieving that goal, said Bruce Graham, president, Calgary Economic Development and committee co-chair.

I'm sure they all believe that another step is creating favourable tax conditions and an investment friendly environment, but a quality living environment is also crucial. Calgary is going to be competing with the Copenhagens, Zurichs, and Melbournes of the World who will all be giving those same tax breaks and financial incentives. As such, non-economic factors will play a vital role. Our city needs to be environmentally and socially attractive. Once multinational corporations are guaranteed their financial incentives, they start to look at what they can get for their employees. Look at Copenhagen, their high ranking by Monocle is something multinational companies look at.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I'm sure they all believe that another step is creating favourable tax conditions and an investment friendly environment, but a quality living environment is also crucial. Calgary is going to be competing with the Copenhagens, Zurichs, and Melbournes of the World who will all be giving those same tax breaks and financial incentives. As such, non-economic factors will play a vital role. Our city needs to be environmentally and socially attractive. Once multinational corporations are guaranteed their financial incentives, they start to look at what they can get for their employees. Look at Copenhagen, their high ranking by Monocle is something multinational companies look at.
If this were true, then Vancouver would be a major financial center in Canada, yet, year after year, it inches more and more towards just being a resort and real estate town. In the end, I don't think you can engineer something like this, either by cutting taxes or by dropping loads of dough on trying to lipstick or sell the city. You have to start with some sort of natural advantage, opportunity, or talent, and build from there.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 12:59 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Calgary might have a pretty decent chance these days of attracting an international bank - specifically I'm thinking from Europe.

While we all know how hard it has been, and continues to be, to convince people from Toronto to move out here (let's face it, many got dragged kicking and screaming in the 80s in the oil sector) - seemingly everyone I meet that visits from Europe just raves about how much they want to come back. And get a job here, if possible. Folks specifically from the centre of Europe just seem entranced by our wide open spaces, our untouched forests, our thousands of lakes and rivers worth of fishing, the mountains, etc.

I think Calgary must be maturing in an urban sense, because even just a few years ago I'd not heard that so often. I think the city's "small town" feel may have overshadowed it until recently. Right now we're finally large enough to feel like a "real" city, yet still small and remote enough that we're not a sprawling metropolis that could exist in any country.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 4:51 AM

Got anything against banks or financial institutions from Asia? Does'nt always have to be from Europe. Good article.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Calgary might have a pretty decent chance these days of attracting an international bank - specifically I'm thinking from Europe.

While we all know how hard it has been, and continues to be, to convince people from Toronto to move out here (let's face it, many got dragged kicking and screaming in the 80s in the oil sector) - seemingly everyone I meet that visits from Europe just raves about how much they want to come back. And get a job here, if possible. Folks specifically from the centre of Europe just seem entranced by our wide open spaces, our untouched forests, our thousands of lakes and rivers worth of fishing, the mountains, etc.

I think Calgary must be maturing in an urban sense, because even just a few years ago I'd not heard that so often. I think the city's "small town" feel may have overshadowed it until recently. Right now we're finally large enough to feel like a "real" city, yet still small and remote enough that we're not a sprawling metropolis that could exist in any country.
It can't be that tough, Torontonians are the largest 'immigrants' to Calgary in the past ten years. They just don't like to admit it!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 11:28 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
If this were true, then Vancouver would be a major financial center in Canada, yet, year after year, it inches more and more towards just being a resort and real estate town.
There is a reason why I left them off the small list I made. It is pretty much common knowledge that Vancouver does not lend itself to big business as well as Calgary does and I think this actually proves my point; you have to be both economically and socially attractive. How many times have you heard people say, Calgary and Vancouver would be the perfect cities to combine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
[S]eemingly everyone I meet that visits from Europe just raves about how much they want to come back. And get a job here, if possible.
True, but I bet people in Europe can say the same things about Canadians when they visit Europe. Many of my friends, most of whom are not even urbanists, were proper jealous when I made the move. Also, how many of the people who are not in Broken Britain would be so quick to leave? I'm talking about the people working in the City of London, the people actually working in the financial sector and the ones we would actually want. The ones living in Soho, driving the Porches, buying magnums of champagne at the club, and distorting the average income.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 5:48 PM
Editor

Calgary's got a ways to go before it starts luring banks for London and Zurich, but I do see some potential for Calgary being a Canadian head office for a foreign company or bank, or even a Western Canada regional head office for foreign or Canadian company.

Large amounts of contiguous blocks of office space in modern office buildings helps, another is Calgary's skilled labor pool. It's something that wouldn't happen overnight, but I can see the potential for it. It's nice that they are making these kinds of plans. This is where it all starts.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
It can't be that tough, Torontonians are the largest 'immigrants' to Calgary in the past ten years. They just don't like to admit it!
I work with a lot of GTA'ers. Most of the ones I know who come here, stay here. Typically they tend to be more "outdoors" type people who are attracted to the wide open spaces and easy access to mountains, fishing, camping, hiking etc., yet still maintaining the amenities of living in a fairly large city.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Calgary's got a ways to go before it starts luring banks for London and Zurich, but I do see some potential for Calgary being a Canadian head office for a foreign company or bank, or even a Western Canada regional head office for foreign or Canadian company.

Large amounts of contiguous blocks of office space in modern office buildings helps, another is Calgary's skilled labor pool. It's something that wouldn't happen overnight, but I can see the potential for it. It's nice that they are making these kinds of plans. This is where it all starts.
I think we already have the Western regional offices for most or all of the big Canadian banks...I really think that we need to lure a bank HQ to be truly competitive with the GTA in terms of luring head offices.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:49 AM

Haven't you guys heard, banks are obsolete!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 4:55 AM

It does'nt allways haave to be a bank, could be a brokerage firm, hedge fund/mutual fund company, or a a financial exchange...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 4:56 AM

By the way, what large advertizing agencies are in Calgary?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:29 PM

Interestingly enough, the "global financial centre" article in the Canada section is a good reflection of how this city needs to get its name out there. Even though I don't see how the facts could support Vancouver being considered a more important financial centre than Calgary (what with the TSX Venture being here, as well as the Western offices of all the major banks), that misconception persists. It seems to be assumed that Vancouver is the more important banking centre because it's a bigger urban centre. I didn't post my thoughts on the matter there because, well, let's face it we all know those discussions usually end in the kind of tribalism lists and vs. threads seem to stimulate over there.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 5:42 AM

Wild West: I think Van is a port city, and beleive me being an international port whether it be Van, SF, Seattle, NY ect., is a huge advantage over inland cities, a lot of it is perception. Hell, people in NY think Chicago is a "Hick" town just because of it's location.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 8:24 PM

Good point Bob.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 5:46 AM

Wild WEst: I'm loosing my mind, that last post was for another thread! But I think you know what I mean.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
Wild WEst: I'm loosing my mind, that last post was for another thread! But I think you know what I mean.
Yup, it's all related anyways!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy