HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrek777 View Post
With the price of oil closing today at over 119.00 a barrel I think the authorization for this merger is an open/shut case. Pilots will always saber rattle but in the end they too will realize that it is better to work together than to have no job at all and the same goes for all the work groups.

I am really excited about this!
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ge_tab_newstab

Is this what you are excited about?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 12:13 AM

Dude, enough already. I'm sick of the negativity on this board.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
Dude, enough already. I'm sick of the negativity on this board.
It is not negativity. It's call reality. Too much boosterism is not healthy either. As much as I like to have a headquarter of the largest airline in the nation in Atlanta, I still have to look at it objectively. Delta gonna screws Georgians with their airfares majorly.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 12:48 AM

What about our Frequent Flyer miles?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 1:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
It is not negativity. It's call reality. Too much boosterism is not healthy either. As much as I like to have a headquarter of the largest airline in the nation in Atlanta, I still have to look at it objectively. Delta gonna screws Georgians with their airfares majorly.
He has a point! Lack of competition has never helped consumers.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:01 AM

Start a separate thread to complain about the problems with a merger then. Some of us are actually looking forward to this. Its going to be a good thing. And I HOPE that the airlines raise fares! A lot! Otherwise they are all going to go out of business because they're losing money fast. There is still PLENTY of competition in the industry. This merger does NOTHING to affect the competition in Atlanta, in fact none of the major hub markets really. This merger shouldn't affect pricing in Atlanta at all. If anything will affect prices, it will be the fact that oil is freaking $119 a barrel. Airline ticket prices are extremely low as it is. They were more expensive 20-30 years ago.

Your frequent flyer miles will be fine.

And Dragonheart, you have been negative about Delta and Atlanta since this particular thread was started, and its really getting old. Don't fly on Delta then if you don't like it. Fly on whatever airline you want.

As for me, BRING ON THE 747s IN DELTA COLORS!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:32 AM

In fact I'm unsubscribing from this thread before I get pissed off and say something I'll regret. I wish you all luck flying on whatever airline you choose.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:39 AM

Quote:
In fact I'm unsubscribing from this thread before I get pissed off and say something I'll regret. I wish you all luck flying on whatever airline you choose.
I'm not trying to be negative. I'm sorry that I make you upset and it was not my intention.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Start a separate thread to complain about the problems with a merger then. Some of us are actually looking forward to this. Its going to be a good thing. And I HOPE that the airlines raise fares! A lot! Otherwise they are all going to go out of business because they're losing money fast. There is still PLENTY of competition in the industry. This merger does NOTHING to affect the competition in Atlanta, in fact none of the major hub markets really. This merger shouldn't affect pricing in Atlanta at all. If anything will affect prices, it will be the fact that oil is freaking $119 a barrel. Airline ticket prices are extremely low as it is. They were more expensive 20-30 years ago.

Your frequent flyer miles will be fine.

And Dragonheart, you have been negative about Delta and Atlanta since this particular thread was started, and its really getting old. Don't fly on Delta then if you don't like it. Fly on whatever airline you want.

As for me, BRING ON THE 747s IN DELTA COLORS!
Good lord. You can't read something because someone does not agree with you?

I suggest you read some business case studies. Two failing companies almost never make a more profitable, bigger company, but a larger failing company. Read about Mercedes buying Chrysler.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:13 PM

Delta is not a failing company - they were, but now we can not say that they are.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeAtlantan View Post
Delta is not a failing company - they were, but now we can not say that they are.
Delta and NorthWest just lost over $2 Billion last quarter. That is failing in my book.

Some studies show that 50 to 70 percent of mergers fail, in that they don't live up to their financial promise. And for every merger advocate who claims that the resulting "synergy" will lead to lower costs passed on to customers, there's a merger critic who argues that the loss of competition leads inevitably to higher prices and less innovation.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabydaddyATL View Post
Delta and NorthWest just lost over $2 Billion last quarter. That is failing in my book.

Some studies show that 50 to 70 percent of mergers fail, in that they don't live up to their financial promise. And for every merger advocate who claims that the resulting "synergy" will lead to lower costs passed on to customers, there's a merger critic who argues that the loss of competition leads inevitably to higher prices and less innovation.
Well, sheesh, according to your reckoning then, almost all of the US flag-carriers must be failing. It's about darn time that airfares get back to where they should be. There is NO reason that flying from Atlanta to Los Angeles should EVER be around $99/o.w. (with the exception of marketing factors). Reduction in capacity and an increase in air fares are what are needed to shore up profitability in an industry where rapidly increasing external operating costs are gorging away at revenue.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:27 PM

I tend to agree, the merger in itself won't do much to hurt competition...other than on ATL-MSP routes. If it were Delta/Airtran, that would be a different story.

I do like the merger, partially from a civic pride standpoint, but more so because I hope it results in more direct flights between ATL & Asia down the road. A direct ATL-SIN would improve my quality of life significantly, but I'm not counting on that happening any time soon...

In any case, as much as I hate paying more for anything, it's inevitable that prices are going up, the alternatives are continuous bankruptcy/bailouts or nationalization of the airline industry.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgoblue View Post
I tend to agree, the merger in itself won't do much to hurt competition...other than on ATL-MSP routes. If it were Delta/Airtran, that would be a different story.

I do like the merger, partially from a civic pride standpoint, but more so because I hope it results in more direct flights between ATL & Asia down the road. A direct ATL-SIN would improve my quality of life significantly, but I'm not counting on that happening any time soon...

In any case, as much as I hate paying more for anything, it's inevitable that prices are going up, the alternatives are continuous bankruptcy/bailouts or nationalization of the airline industry.

The Delta NorthWest merger will force other airlines to merge. This will impact prices in Atlanta, no way around that.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTviajero81 View Post
Well, sheesh, according to your reckoning then, almost all of the US flag-carriers must be failing. It's about darn time that airfares get back to where they should be. There is NO reason that flying from Atlanta to Los Angeles should EVER be around $99/o.w. (with the exception of marketing factors). Reduction in capacity and an increase in air fares are what are needed to shore up profitability in an industry where rapidly increasing external operating costs are gorging away at revenue.
Yes they are failing...the whole industry. How would you characterize it?

If I was Delta, I would call off the merger. My thesis is two unprofitable companies makes just a bigger unprofitable company. Delta shoud continue to reduce expenses, cut unprofitable routes and raise prices according to increases in their operating cost. There is something to be said for being smaller and more nimble.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:28 PM

I think DL/NW makes a stronger company then either DL or NW could be on their own.

It's funny how this whole thing is driven, in large part, to rising fuel prices. I didn't think fuel prices played into any decisions but I guess I was wrong.

;-) (token smiley to keep things on tha chill)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeAtlantan View Post
I think DL/NW makes a stronger company then either DL or NW could be on their own.

It's funny how this whole thing is driven, in large part, to rising fuel prices. I didn't think fuel prices played into any decisions but I guess I was wrong.

;-) (token smiley to keep things on tha chill)
Name one airline merger that has been successful. Look at the last one, USAir and America West, successful? Nice of you drop the fuel prices into your comments.

So what changes with Delta and NorthWest merging with regards to fuel prices. They said they are not cutting routes so it seem like you just have a bigger airline buying more gas.

...Smiley are ya happy?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 9:40 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

I'm pretty sure this merger has been analyzed to death by experts in the airline industry, and it wouldn't be moving forward if it weren't a good idea. Unless anyone in here is an airline industry expert, I can't quite see declaring the merger unsuccessful or either Delta or Northwest a failure.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I'm pretty sure this merger has been analyzed to death by experts in the airline industry, and it wouldn't be moving forward if it weren't a good idea. Unless anyone in here is an airline industry expert, I can't quite see declaring the merger unsuccessful or either Delta or Northwest a failure.
I am pretty sure Diambler Mercedes had a lot of experts advise them when they bought Chrysler. You see what happened there. Google "merger failure rate." By any measure, 50-70% of all mergers are a failure. Loss of jobs, revenue, innovation and shareholder value. That is a fact.

I think it is fair for some of us to question wether we want to gamble one of Atlanta's biggest assets.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 10:50 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabydaddyATL View Post
I am pretty sure Diambler Mercedes had a lot of experts advise them when they bought Chrysler. You see what happened there. Google "merger failure rate." By any measure, 50-70% of all mergers are a failure. Loss of jobs, revenue, innovation and shareholder value. That is a fact.

I think it is fair for some of us to question wether we want to gamble one of Atlanta's biggest assets.
Man, you're an expert in every one of these threads! I didn't know!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta