HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 5:00 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
There is a few things at Brewsters I've had, has sucked so bad it kind of deletes the good things I have had.

If it wasn't for that Raspberry beer...BEER AND FUCKING RASPBERRIES, OH SHIT YA.
LOL.

Actually, I like their raspberry ale better than the blueberry one. Only reason I had the blueberry one today was that I hadn't had one in for so long I forgot what that tasted like - But I still like the raspberry one better, and the raspberry ale's what I drank tonight in addition to the Rig Pig and the Wild West Wheat Ale.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 5:08 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Believe it or not I think that a couple of the 'chain' type restaurants are actually pretty decent spots for breakfast in Edmonton ... I'm referring to Smitty's and Albert's ...

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 5:51 AM

I did not think it was possible to be an Edmontonian unless you have dined at Barb & Ernies!

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 5:53 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Verlage View Post
I did not think it was possible to be an Edmontonian unless you have dined at Barb & Ernies!
Hm, I don't think I have heard of that one.

Hm... why have I not heard of that one before?

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 6:49 AM

I'll second a vote for Urban Diner. Great breakfast, but for dinner they also have an angus burger that's to die for.

As for the best bang for your buck for breakfast. It's tough to beat the breakfast special at Crystal Palace (150 street and 118 ave). Two strips of bacon, eggs however you like 'em, a good portion of hash browns, and toast (wh/ww), for $3.99. Nothing spectacular as far as quality, but it's not McDonald's and it fills you right up.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 2:56 PM
Community Guy

^commodore on jasper/107st.

2 eggs, bacon/ham/sau, browns and toast for $4.25....in the downtown thats really good.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 3:19 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post

That's it, hand in your citizen card and walk shamefully to Calgary.

EDIT: That's it keep shuffling, get them hands in those pockets.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 4:50 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
That's it, hand in your citizen card and walk shamefully to Calgary.

EDIT: That's it keep shuffling, get them hands in those pockets.
I could never live in Calgary. Saskatoon maybe but definitely not Calgary.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 5:04 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
All good places, my fav is the Silk Hat...

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^commodore on jasper/107st.

2 eggs, bacon/ham/sau, browns and toast for $4.25....in the downtown thats really good.
I'll have to give that one a try. Another one that I can't believe I forgot about was Hap's Hungry House on Stony Plain Road and 161 street. That place has some killer breakfast.

It's great discovering non-franchise restaurants scattered throughout the city that end up having even greater food. Often they're places I see every day in a suburban strip mall, but never check out. It sucks that so many people walk blindly into a Humpty's or Denny's (or Chili's/Moxie's for that matter), without any thought about local businesses that are often better for their customers and only manage to get noticed via word-of-mouth.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 1:49 AM

Quote:
I could never live in Calgary. Saskatoon maybe but definitely not Calgary.
I feel ya'. I could never live in 95% of Calgary.

We're talking about breakfast, right? I like the Lido's big breakfast special, with bacon, two sausages, a big-ass piece of ham, hashbrowns, a buttload of toast, and 3 eggs any style. $7.35

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:23 PM

Quote:

I live in Calgary and even I've had breakfast there.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
I'll have to give that one a try. Another one that I can't believe I forgot about was Hap's Hungry House on Stony Plain Road and 161 street. That place has some killer breakfast.
I have tried Haps as well. It wasn't too bad...definitely a step up from Dennys or Humptys. You want a killer breakfast, the next time your in Calgary try a California Omelette at Nellies on 4th ave or 17th ave SW.

Quote:
It's great discovering non-franchise restaurants scattered throughout the city that end up having even greater food. Often they're places I see every day in a suburban strip mall, but never check out. It sucks that so many people walk blindly into a Humpty's or Denny's (or Chili's/Moxie's for that matter), without any thought about local businesses that are often better for their customers and only manage to get noticed via word-of-mouth.
I couldn't agree more, the non-franchise restaurants are the way to go (for the most part). It's all about quality ingredients and a little care in preparing the meal...the chain stores just don't cut it IMO. I wouldn't eat at the majority of those places even if the meal was free.
I have never understood the appeal with Moxies...it reminds me of an old Trooper song...3 dressed up as a 9.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Verlage View Post
And everyone should enjoy it while they can because unfortunately it won't be there forever. And when it closes, that will be it. No different location, no different owners. The building will be leveled.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:39 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuber View Post
And everyone should enjoy it while they can because unfortunately it won't be there forever. And when it closes, that will be it. No different location, no different owners. The building will be leveled.
When?

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:09 PM

No definite time yet, but they will be 'retiring' soon. The land their building is on is very valuable to the company located right behind them and this past year with land values going up so much in Edmonton that company has been making them offers they are having trouble saying no to. And when they buy it they will be tear it down to expand their shop. It is already at the point where they will make more money off the interest on the sale proceeds than they do operating the restaurant.

They closed the restaurant for 6 weeks last summer to go to Germany and they are interested in spending more of their time back there, so it is only a matter of time. There probably won't be much warning when they do close up which is why I say, enjoy it while you can.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 8:56 PM
Community Guy

^must go before closes...

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 4:37 PM

Very much appreciate all the suggestions.....commodore
Blue Plate Diner, Cafe Deville, Urban Diner, 109st bistro, silk hat, l'azia, Brewsters (Raspberry beer ) Glenora Grill and Madison Grill.
Great stuff.
I look forward to giving each and every one of these a go but not before I visit Barb and Ernies...that one is a priority.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 5:12 PM

Another good place is lumberjacks, there is 2 locations on the east end.More of a blue collar place but they have huge breakfasts. I usally find myself there with a saturday morning hangover.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 5:15 PM
Community Guy

i wish we had a DeDutch here in downtown...hell in Edmonton. Their $13 omelettes are something to behold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton