HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:33 PM

Vancouver Olympic Chairman Poole Dies

Quote:
Vancouver Olympic chairman Poole dies

Jack Poole, the man who brought the 2010 Winter Games to Vancouver, has died after a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer, just a day after the flame for the torch relay was lit in Olympia, Greece.

Poole, 76, who was chairman of the Vancouver Organizing Committee's board of directors, died peacefully in hospital shortly after midnight, Olympic officials confirmed early Friday

"This is such sad news for us all. Jack was a man of great passion and drive, and we had all hoped and prayed that he would live to experience the Games he played such a major role in securing for Canada," said VANOC's CEO John Furlong in a statement he issued as he travelled back to Vancouver from Greece.

Poole and Furlong co-led the bid that eventually won the Games for Vancouver and Whistler in 2003. Poole then moved on to oversee the preparations as chair of the organizing committee, while Furlong took over the day-to-day operations as VANOC's CEO.

But his health deteriorated after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2007 and submitted himself to an aggressive round of experimental radiation and chemotherapy treatment at a Seattle clinic.

He had survived a previous battle with prostate cancer in 1993 at the age of 60. But this past summer the pancreatic cancer returned and an operation to remove tumours was only partially successful.

"He had so looked forward to the Olympic flame lighting, and when I talked to him last night, we made plans to visit soon to show him pictures of Greece and the magnificent lighting ceremony. I thank God he was still with us when the Olympic flame was ignited," said Furlong.

Paid $1 a year to lead bid

Poole first signed on to lead Vancouver's Olympic bid team in 2001 alongside co-chair Furlong after his friend and newly elected British Columbia Premier Gordon Campbell recommended him for the job.

He was already semi-retired after a boom-and-bust career at the top of Vancouver's real estate development industry, but agreed to take the job for $1 a year, and to pay for any expenses out of his own pocket.

Campbell, who was also in Greece to attend the torch-lighting ceremony, praised Poole's work in bringing the Games to Vancouver.

"British Columbia and Canada have lost a great friend," Campbell said in a statement Friday.

"Few citizens reflect the generosity of spirit, the commitment to the public good and the undying dedication to public well-being that was exemplified by Jack Poole. His was an example of leadership, strength and integrity that is unmatched in my recollection," said Campbell in a statement issued from Greece.

During the ceremony in Olympia on Thursday, International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge gave special thanks to Poole, to whom, he said, "I bring a very warm and special salute."

Started work at 14

Poole, born on April 14, 1933, in the small town of Mortlach, Sask., started out as a labourer in residential construction at age 14 and went on to become one of B.C.'s top real estate developers as the head of Concert Properties.

His longtime friend and business partner David Podmore, the current CEO of Concert Properties, reacted with sadness this morning to the passing of Poole.

"He was a tremendous guy, a great, inspirational leader, and of course, for me, he was a very, very close friend. We had a wonderful relationship over the 24 years," said Podmore.

He was well known for his philanthropic work and was awarded the Order of Canada in 2006. He is survived by his second wife Darlene, four daughters, a stepson and his extended family.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...oole-obit.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:55 PM
ON3P Skis

RIP Jack, thanks for all that you did. Both my parents knew him while working at Daon in the late 70s/early 80s (its how they met). I met him myself once, about 10 years ago while work was starting on the 2010 bid project. Great guy, it is a real shame he wasn't able to live to see the games.

As an aside, I think it is disgusting some of the comments on the CBC comments page, but what else is new.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:35 PM

He did such an amazing job in securing us the games..

RIP Mr. Poole. Thank you for all you've done.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:35 PM

I had the opportunity to meet him once, really awesome guy. And the successful 2010 bid would not have been possibly for people like him and Furlong. We need more leaders like them.

My deepest condolences to Vanoc, his family, and friends.

The CBC comments are absolutely atrocious. What the hell is wrong with these people? This would be the end of society if everyone was like that.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:49 PM

I'm going to wear my bid pin today in memory.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:01 PM

sad he won't get to see what he did

RIP

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:20 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

RIP Jack. Thanks for the Olympics and the Indy race!

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:53 PM
Vancouver User

Sorry he didn't make it to see the actual games. RIP.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:30 PM

The Vancouver Sun now has an online guest book for people to express their condolences:

http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.as...=5875650110384

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 11:50 PM
Bridge Walker!

Very sad news!

Jack, your stalwart leadership will provide us with our finest hour.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]