HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:56 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
Just defended your post on reddit from people calling the photos "creepy." Shame you felt the need to delete your post though.
Cheers.

It was my mistake to post photos like these on a general forum like r/Vancouver. I'm a huge fan of candid people/street photography, but not everyone likes it, I guess. It's a bit sad that photos of people in their natural environment would be thought of as creepy to some. I just like to document a place and time.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:48 AM
perhaps . . .

giallo, your photos are completely appropriate. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 5:38 AM

As I was scrolling through giallo photo set, I was saying to myself "nice !" People Watching in beautiful Downtown Vancouver.

The only self-worth some of r/vancouver community have or get is from being negative and ugly.
(Disclaimer, I was banned from r/vancouver last year and I'm a better person for it )

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Cheers.

It was my mistake to post photos like these on a general forum like r/Vancouver. I'm a huge fan of candid people/street photography, but not everyone likes it, I guess. It's a bit sad that photos of people in their natural environment would be thought of as creepy to some. I just like to document a place and time.
I thought they were great too. Adds a needed dimension to the urban landscape. Amazing how people get their knickers in a twist over the weirdest things.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 8:24 PM

Love these photos, very well taken to showcase human life in the city.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:35 PM

^Thanks, guys.

Here are a few pictures I took from Fairview today.

Last edited by giallo; Sep 22, 2022 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:32 AM

Quote:
^Thanks, guys.

Here are a few pictures I took from Fairview today.

Obscenely flat.....

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:51 AM

First photo is the best. Fantastic capture.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
First photo is the best. Fantastic capture.
Thanks.

I wish it were somehow easier to view City Hall from this angle. For now, you need a drone.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I wish it were somehow easier to view City Hall from this angle. For now, you need a drone.
Build a tower there.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Build a tower there.
Stranger things have happened.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 12:33 AM

giallo

Wow!! That last panorama from Metrotown on the far right, across to Point Grey on the left of the picture, and the Vancouver Island mountains beyond, is like nothing I have seen before.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 2:15 PM

^ Thanks. Fairview is a fantastic area to capture Vancouver and parts of Burnaby. There's a little park on 17th, close to Cambie that is ideal for flying the drone frome.

Speaking of drones, here's a little video I made documenting the summer in the city.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:29 AM

Having lived in Vancouver for over a decade, I have never been onboard the famous seaplanes. Back in June it was time to cross this item off the list and take a 50-minute scenic flight around our beautiful city and the surrounding mountains!

Harbour Air Seaplanes is the world's largest 100% seaplane airline with 43 planes in services across 21 destinations.

Most of the planes on their fleet are de Havillands, ranging from small Beavers (DHC-2) and Otters (DHC-3), all the way to 19-seat Twin Otters (DHC-6).

Inside seaplane there is not a lot of extra room and if lucky, one will get to sit next to the pilot.

It's a rather noisy environment but taking off was surprisingly smooth and before we knew it, we were airborne over Burrard Inlet.

The great thing about seaplanes is how close to the ground they fly. Our flight took us first over East Vancouver with Vancouver's only amusement park Playland visible.

Highway 1 rush hour was just starting to pick up by the time we flew over.

Next door to Vancouver is the City of Burnaby, which has several impressive and fast-evolving skylines.

Close up of Brentwood with Metrotown in the background.

Burnaby Mountain has an university campus on top of it and oil terminals behind it. This is terminus for a twin-pipeline from Alberta.

Our flight took us next up the Indian Arm and behind North Shore Mountains where nature is wild and largely untouched by man. Most Vancouverites will never see these valleys, although they are only 20 kilometers from Downtown!

Flying over mountain crests requires ascending above the snow line. The was plenty of snow on the mountains even in June.

After some flying we finally reached Howe Sound. Squamish and Whistler are located north from here.

Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal from above.

Vancouver in the distance through a warped windscreen.

Across the English Bay and at the tip of the peninsula is the main campus for University of British Columbia.

Vancouver's affluent Westside is lush with trees.

Oakridge mega construction site in the distance. BC Children's Hospital is in the foreground. Vancouver General Hospital in the photo above.

Kingsway is the main thoroughfare through East Vancouver. We are now quickly approaching Downtown for the final swoop.

Downtown Vancouver

BC Place is an easily recognizable landmark among a sea of towers.

The Butterfly is a major luxury skyscraper currently under construction.

The Granville Bridge loops area has been densifying quickly and is planned to continue doing so with the loops getting removed.

Our famous washed up barge was still intact in June.

English Bay below.

Lost Lagoon and afternoon traffic in and out of Downtown.

Landing to the Vancouver Harbour Water Aerodrome takes one past the Coal Harbour skyline. You can almost touch the buildings as you land.

And there you have it! What an amazing 50 minutes it was in the air with so many amazing views of the city and the beautiful landscape. I hope you enjoyed this scenic tour of Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:18 PM

Great pics as always Klazu. A plane really gives you a different perspective!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:20 PM

These pictures are incredible. You really could look into getting them published somewhere and having more exposure. I feel like most people just see Vancouver looking northward into downtown from False Creek and rarely get a viewing of how impressive it looks from these different angles.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
These pictures are incredible. You really could look into getting them published somewhere and having more exposure. I feel like most people just see Vancouver looking northward into downtown from False Creek and rarely get a viewing of how impressive it looks from these different angles.
That's because looking south, Vancouver is embarrassingly flat with a suburban sprawl, and the reason why people usually photograph this city north towards downtown, but not the other way round.

Looking east past Boundary Road actually makes the region more progressive with the soaring suburb municipality skyscraper clusters.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
These pictures are incredible. You really could look into getting them published somewhere and having more exposure.
Thank you, All!

It took me a bit of time to choose the best shots and touch them up before publishing, but I am very happy how they turned out. I went on this flight with high hopes of weather and conditions lining up and was not disappointed. What I learned is that it is not very easy to take photos, as at least the smallest seaplane is not very spacious to move about and the windows are also surprisingly high up, so pointing down with one's camera is not all that easy. There is also a lot of reflections and warping from windows, so you need to shoot a lot to get some good ones.

As an interesting comparison, I did also take another scenic flight back home in Finland with a two-seater plane that allows us to take swoops around things we wanted to photograph and point my camera through a small window that opens. Will post those under My Cities section when I get around to publishing them.

And if anyone feels that the photos warrant more visibility, feel free to re-post or link them as-is. I will normally also post these on Instagram in due time.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:38 AM

Anybody know how to resize images in Imgur? They changed the way it's done. I can resize image but when you save it, it also saves the blank white part that use to be image size. So I end up with this... And there's a picsart watermark as well..

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Anybody know how to resize images in Imgur? They changed the way it's done. I can resize image but when you save it, it also saves the blank white part that use to be image size. So I end up with this... And there's a picsart watermark as well..
I resize before I upload.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos