HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 8:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
How much more expensive would it be to build 1 500m tower and 1 short tower compared to two 300m towers? I hope they don't go with twins.
I think the south tower would still be the tallest, though probably not by a lot...

Quote:
We are literally today building a bridge," said John Zuccotti, Brookfield's chairman.

"On that bridge we will build the tallest building, a retail center, and residential housing as well."

The configuration still somewhat reminds me of the original WTC complex...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:03 PM

I love these new renders

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 PM

Its amazing how that platform will be supporting all of that weight. Thats probably what I'm most impressed with in Manhattan. How so much weight can be supported over the subway/utilities/etc.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:14 PM

The platform will not be supporting the buildings---they will come up through it--

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
The platform will not be supporting the buildings---they will come up through it--
makes sense. Still though impressive that they're building them over the rail yard

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:44 PM
Transport Planner

Not sure if this was posted already, but for anyone who (like me) was struggling to figure out how on earth they'll accomplish this.

It's for Manhattan West, but I'm guessing it's fairly close to what will happen at HY.
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:45 PM
Transport Planner

*double post

Last edited by phoenixboi08; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:02 AM

awesome video, thanks!

I was clueless on how that was going to work. I'd assume a similar system will be used on the hudson yards project?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:14 AM
BANNED

I hope the final design for the towers is something iconic, I really do. I don't like these towers at all as pictured. Basically functional office blocks. The plaza is a great addition however.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I hope the final design for the towers is something iconic, I really do. I don't like these towers at all as pictured. Basically functional office blocks. The plaza is a great addition however.
I agree, but i doubt the end result will be much different from what we're seeing considering the fact that those are the official renderings of the project and this is very likely what they'll be presenting to prospective tenants. Shame cause they could do something more creative.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:03 AM

the original renderings look better than these in my opinion

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURKEY427 View Post
I love these new renders
The renderings aren't new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Not sure if this was posted already, but for anyone who (like me) was struggling to figure out how on earth they'll accomplish this.
It's an old video. The platform for Related's railyard development will be constructed differently.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:02 AM
Mr. Technology

As much as I like this design, I wonder where the connection these towers will have with the surrounding environment (people, subways, eateries, etc.)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaizer007 View Post
I agree, but i doubt the end result will be much different from what we're seeing considering the fact that those are the official renderings of the project and this is very likely what they'll be presenting to prospective tenants.
These renderings are for marketing purposes. The prospective tenants will guide the building designs.

We don't know what the buildings will look like until they have tenants.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:37 AM

(The platform will not be supporting the buildings---they will come up through it-- )

No-the buildings will be on top of the precast segments which will bridge the tracks since there is little space between them. The Hudson Yards platform will be supported by large diameter piles or caissons placed between the tracks. There is more space for them

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 4:49 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeit View Post
(The platform will not be supporting the buildings---they will come up through it-- )

No-the buildings will be on top of the precast segments which will bridge the tracks since there is little space between them. The Hudson Yards platform will be supported by large diameter piles or caissons placed between the tracks. There is more space for them
Unless you provide the source for your information, it is known that the foundation for these towers begin at the bedrock down below the platform area.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ It all depends on what and how many tenants sign on for the space. The office towers are 2 msf each. They could be as close as Related in signing tenants for the towers.

It's a placeholder of the way the development is planned to rise, but hasn't even been updated to include the residential tower. Both office towers would be taller than the original 935 ft north tower.
Thanks to both colleagues for the response. Fingers x'ed.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:25 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/re...=nyregion&_r=0

Already Wooing Tenants in Hudson Yards

By PETER SLATIN
January 15, 2013

Quote:
Ms. Tighe noted that although the financial services sector was showing no signs of near-term expansion, “if you look at other industries, whether media, fashion or advertising, an interesting thing is happening — they are looking to occupy space with greater density,” in other words, with more employees per square foot. “That puts pressure on everything from the classic elevator equation to the number of toilets and the amount of air-conditioning,” she said, and as a consequence, “new construction becomes very compelling.”

Financial services corporations like Credit Suisse and Citicorp are among those known to be considering new locations, but companies in the industries that Ms. Tighe highlighted are also on the prowl, including CBS, Sony, Polo Ralph Lauren and News Corporation.

Along with Related’s project, three other large parcels are controlled by three separate developers. The largest is a superblock owned by Brookfield Office Properties, directly east of Related’s, that extends from Ninth to 10th Avenues and from 31st to 33rd Streets. Brookfield calls this site Manhattan West and held a groundbreaking there Tuesday. At the event, Brookfield announced construction of its own platform over rail lines and an 850-unit apartment building on the western portion of the site that is on bedrock, as well as $340 million in construction financing for the platform, a crucial step.

Along with the apartments and some retail, Manhattan West will have four million square feet of office space and a 1.5-acre public park. “We are the gateway site to Hudson Yards, with the greatest linkage to transportation,” said Dennis Friedrich, chief executive of Brookfield.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:31 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/re...=nyregion&_r=0

Already Wooing Tenants in Hudson Yards

By PETER SLATIN
January 15, 2013
Quote:
Ms. Tighe noted that although the financial services sector was showing no signs of near-term expansion, “if you look at other industries, whether media, fashion or advertising, an interesting thing is happening — they are looking to occupy space with greater density,” in other words, with more employees per square foot.
Rows and rows of cubicles creates a challenge -- getting work done with numerous distractions.

Saving money at the expense of production value.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 3:04 PM
New Yorker for life

A smaller look at those groundbreaking photos from gothamists.com

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/15/phot...ks.php#photo-2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive