HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 2:40 PM

That would be real nice. Get the St. Louis Blues to become the SLC Blues...but I would really want them to be playing in Downtown...if they move or we get an NHL team.

I do like the thought of more exhibition games at the stadium for all sports.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 12:21 AM
Gone Fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Awesome! August of 08 opening, huh. That means 4 months of RSL on the road? Doesn't the lease with RES end after this year?

Also interesting to see that the Blues might play some exhibition games here at the stadium. That would be cool. Maybe it will be a tryout to see if we would support an NHL team here....
How can the Blues play at the 'stadium'? Wouldn't it be more feasible to have at the E-Center?

I'd say the ESA but too much bad blood between him and LHM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 11:13 AM

'Average Joe' fights the Real juggernaut

Sponsor of referendum at center of debate

By Amelia Nielson-Stowell
Deseret Morning News
Before February, the most controversial topic Brad Swedlund debated was the latest episode of "American Idol." Now lead sponsor of one of the state's most heated voter referendums, this self-described "Average Joe" has been the center of debates around Utah's Major League Soccer team.

Laura Seitz, Deseret Morning NewsBrad Swedlund holds signed petitions that he and his supporters have collected in their effort to put the soccer stadium funding on the ballot.

The 50-year-old South Dakota native took on the monumental task of collecting nearly 92,000 signatures of residents, statewide, who opposed the state-backed Real Salt Lake stadium funding plan.
Strict requirements gave Swedlund and supporters of his group — Get Real Utah — a little more than 30 days to collect those signatures from at least 15 counties. They are due Monday — the same day Real finally begins construction on its $110 million stadium in Sandy.
"I do realize it's a long shot, but I'll be happy if it's just 3,000 signatures. I know we've made a political change," said Swedlund, a Salt Lake resident who has lived in Utah for 22 years. "I hope it sends a message, even if it's halfway successful."
What originally started out as water cooler talk has blossomed into a grass-roots effort involving local activists, and a handful of political leaders. (Swedlund keeps mum on names.)
Most have expressed the same shock Swedlund did after watching dozens of Utah's power-players step up to Real's aid after Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon denied public funding for the soccer stadium.
Swedlund decided "something had to be done" after Corroon shot down the funds for a third time in February, deeming it a risky investment. Days later, the state leaders pushed through a bill giving Real $35 million in Salt Lake County's hotel-tax dollars for land and infrastructure at the site. Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. was one of its strongest backers and the bill received bipartisan support from both the House and Senate.
Corroon's decision was based on months of financial studies and public scrutiny, Swedlund notes. The state's, however, was made in a matter of days.
"I find that many many more people think the government is kind of broken right now and I'm not alone in that," he said. "People are disenchanted with government."
Wayne Holland, chairman of the Utah Democratic Party, agrees. The state party sent out a notice to members last week, encouraging people to sign both the Real petition and the school vouchers petition, another voter referendum that has also been circulating since the legislative session ended.
"We have felt for quite some time that we have a Legislature that is too arrogant and has been there too long," Holland said. "It's time for the people of the state to remind the Legislature that the constitution gives them a co-equal role."
Deseret Morning News/KSL-TV polls show the majority of Utahns believe the Legislature should not have given Real public money.
"The people in the state had to remind the Legislature that when you do these things, cut deals and what not, there was going to be some activist in the state that would get started," he said of Swedlund.
But until the state reports the amount (their deadline is April 24), no one is really sure how many signatures Get Real Utah has actually garnered.
Early petition drive efforts listed the count at 35,000. But Swedlund had some eight to nine boxes of petitions he sent all over the state to anyone that stepped up to distribute, making it literally impossible to keep track of how many have been collected so far. Those petitions are being sent directly to the respective county clerks for certification, then to the state for final checks.
Swedlund took a week off work in March and drove across the state in a 13-county tour to collect signatures. He's spent hundreds out of his own pocket (the whole effort has cost $2,000) and thinks, if anything, "we've had a little impact on them."
He points to a slew of full-page color ads that ran in the Deseret Morning News, detailing terms of the stadium deal. Then there's the Web site Real has set up to combat what it calls misinformation about the stadium package, www.rslstadium.com.
In an interview Thursday, Real owner Dave Checketts said those ads are part of "Real Week," the week leading up to the first home game of the season, which happened Saturday. He noted they were to clear up confusion surrounding funding.
"There had been enough misinformation that we were obligated not to fight anybody," he said, "but inform the state."
Checketts points out that the money is not being taken away from schools, but from a tourism tax that is collected mostly from out-of-state residents.
"I know it's part of the political process," Checketts said of the referendum. "They certainly have a right to do what they feel is right. What I'm concerned about is there is a lot of misinformation about this project."
Sandy city is also combating the confusion. Shortly after those signatures are tabulated on April 24, Sandy plans to send out mailers explaining the stadium funding. In May, the city will also have available a 30-minute DVD.
"I know we've made a political change," Swedlund said. "I know it."

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 11:47 AM
Bring out the cranes...

LOSER!!!

I hope he fails.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 12:50 PM

Deseret News, Sunday,April 8,2007...........

QUOTE.........Before February, the most controversial topic Brad Swedlund debated was the latest episode of "American Idol."

Hmmmmmmmmmm...............

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 5:35 PM
They all float down here

Wow, there is so much hate in this thread. I can't believe someone would call another person a loser because he's doing something democratic. At least he's letting his voice be heard, you're all just sitting on this forum having a circle jerk over a stadium that has yet to prove its economic worth in the long run. Freaking ridiculous if you ask me.

As for the stadium, I think it's great all the renderings show it packed, since I highly doubt they'll sell out many SOCCER games. But then again, I don't think it would look all too good if the renderings had the typical 8,000 instead of 20,000 -- which is what we saw toward the middle of last year with RSL.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 6:28 PM

what's wrong with calling the dude a loser if you don't agree with him? He sure has every right to do what he is doing, and I respect his right. Unfortunately, I disagree adamantly with him. Is he a loser? no. Can I call him a loser? sure.

you sound like the typical soccer hater, by the way sean..

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 6:49 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
what's wrong with calling the dude a loser if you don't agree with him? He sure has every right to do what he is doing, and I respect his right. Unfortunately, I disagree adamantly with him. Is he a loser? no. Can I call him a loser? sure.

you sound like the typical soccer hater, by the way sean..
I never said you couldn't call him a loser, it just only makes you look petty and immature. I don't think anyone on the wrong side of the fence (supporting soccer) is a loser and I wouldn't call them that, but that's just me.

Now soccer loving Eurotrash prissy boys? Sure.

And yeah, I'm not a big fan of soccer. Give me American football, or even rugby, instead.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 9:33 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I don't hate the guy. I just don't understand why Swedlund is getting so butt hurt over this whole stadium deal and going way out of his way to try to "F" it up. Does Swedlund live in a hotel? If he does maybe I understand why he hates RSL so much. Cus the last time I check this new deal was going to be paid by out of state hotel visitors.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 11:58 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Today is the deadline!

Anti-stadium petition gatherer not optimistic about chances

Brad Swedlund isn't overly optimistic as the deadline approaches to collect enough signatures to challenge the Real Salt Lake stadium deal.
"My feeling is that we are going to be far short," he said. "But the packets are out there and if we get them all back, we might be OK."
Swedlund must gather 92,00O signatures to force a public vote on legislation aimed at funneling millions of Salt Lake County tax dollars to a Real Salt Lake soccer stadium.
Opposition organizers have until 5 p.m. today to get petitions submitted to the county clerk's office.
Swedlund says the next item on his schedule will be to take a "really, really long nap."
The opposition has had 40 days to distribute enough packets to gather the necessary signatures. Petitions with enough room for 100,000 signatures are in circulation, Swedlund said.
Swedlund said there have been a couple hundred people circulating the petitions hoping to put a vote before the public that could change the outcome of recent legislation that has earmarked $35 million in Salt Lake County hotel taxes toward land, parking and infrastructure of a $110 million soccer stadium in Sandy.
Those circulating the petitions have been instructed to submit the packets directly to the county clerk's office making a pre-count of signatures impossible to know, Swedlund said.
Once submitted, the clerk's office has five days to verify all the signatures.
"We'll probably have an announcement of the numbers next Monday," Swedlund said.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:08 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
I never said you couldn't call him a loser, it just only makes you look petty and immature. I don't think anyone on the wrong side of the fence (supporting soccer) is a loser and I wouldn't call them that, but that's just me.

Now soccer loving Eurotrash prissy boys? Sure.

And yeah, I'm not a big fan of soccer. Give me American football, or even rugby, instead.
This is more a debate about what we should the public's money on, and is driven by one's view of the sport or business. If you don't like the sport, you probably won't support they way it is funded.
I don't like Wal-Mart, and don't want to see them receive all the subsidies, but many people like Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart does less for a community than a soccer stadium will, but they receive more money for their size than the soccer stadium will.
That being said, the soccer stadium might not work out, but the city, state and county are protecting themselves in case RSL goes south. They get the land, the parking garage which they were going to build anyway, and the developed area ready for other tenants.
My hopes are more for the $650 million development around RSL stadium. The stadium is the loss leader for the "real" development.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:47 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Real Salt Lake Stadium Issue Will Likely Not Make Ballot
April 9th, 2007 @ 12:02pm

(KSL News) Funding for the Real Salt Lake stadium most likely will not make it on the ballot.

"Get Real Utah" needs 92,000 signatures by the end of the day to put the matter to a public vote. As of last month, the group had only 32,000 signatures. But organizers say no matter what the final number turns out to be, the petition sends a message.

"I think Salt Lake County, especially all along the Wasatch Front, people are agitated about it, you could say," said Brad Swedlund, the stadium petition organizer. "I hope that the legislators get the message that we like to see an open and fair process."

If enough signatures are gathered, a public vote would be held on the legislature's plan to funnel $35 million in Salt Lake County hotel taxes toward the $110 million stadium.

This is great news!
The organizers are right about one thing. And that is the petition did send a message. And that message is that they can't get enough people to sign and that a lot more people support RSL.
Now that's out of the way let's build the stadium!!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
This is great news!
The organizers are right about one thing. And that is the petition did send a message. And that message is that they can't get enough people to sign and that a lot more people support RSL.
Now that's out of the way let's build the stadium!!!

The only message it sends is that Utah's referendum laws are ridiculous. There's no way that anyone could refer anything with that kind of requirement in such a short amount of time. No wonder the legislature had no problem shoving this corrupt deal through in such a high-profile way. They knew nothing could be done about it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
My hopes are more for the $650 million development around RSL stadium. The stadium is the loss leader for the "real" development.
Too bad the stadium is not downtown!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 11:17 AM

Chances look slim for vote on stadium

County clerks now counting signatures; organizer doubtful

By Amelia Nielson-Stowell
Deseret Morning News
Chances are slim a statewide vote on public funds for the Real Salt Lake soccer stadium will make an election ballot, according to early numbers from clerks for the state's largest counties.
By the end of the day Monday, Salt Lake County reported 341 petition packets had been turned in; each of those packets contains anywhere from one to 550 signatures. In Utah County, nine packets were turned in; in Washington County, one. In Davis County, several packets were submitted but they totaled less than 100 signatures.
The county clerks have 15 days to verify the signatures, then they'll be sent to Lt. Gov. Gary Herbert's office. A press conference is set for April 30 to announce whether the Real petition — along with a petition against the school voucher program — will be certified as sufficient.
"I still think it's probably a long shot," said Brad Swedlund, 50, a Salt Lake City resident who last month filed for a referendum with the state. "It probably wasn't enough, if I'm honest about the whole thing."
Swedlund was one of five Utahns who sponsored the referendum after the Legislature, in February, pushed through a last-minute plan to give Real Salt Lake $35 million in hotel-tax dollars for land and parking at the stadium site in Sandy.
That money only comes from Salt Lake County's cut of hotel taxes, which could be the reason for the disproportionate number of petition packets turned in across the state.
Swedlund and the grass-roots group he formed, Get Real Utah, had a little more than 30 days to collect nearly 92,000 signatures of voters who participated in the last gubernatorial election. Those numbers had to come from at least 15 of Utah's 29 counties and were due to the respective county clerks by 5 p.m. Monday.
Estimates from the group about signature amounts are unclear. The group reported in mid-March that 35,000 signatures had been collected. But toward the end of the petition drive, volunteers were asked to send petitions directly to their county clerk, making estimates difficult.
Monday was also the day Real finally began construction on its $110 million stadium. Real is planning to use the $35 million from the state and an additional $10 million from Sandy Redevelopment Agency funds for infrastructure costs at the site.
Those state dollars, however, would not be available for Real's use if enough signatures were are collected. The election would need to happen first.
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. makes the call on when voters would consider the referendum. Although the governor has said he'd prefer the election to be as soon as possible, he's now decided to wait for the next scheduled statewide election.
"Just because it is such an expensive process, we would prefer to do it when there's already a statewide election being held," Huntsman spokeswoman Lisa Roskelley said Monday.
The price tag for a statewide election is about $3.5 million.
Roskelley said the issue likely would not go before voters until next year. That could happen during the state's Feb. 5 presidential primary, if lawmakers agree to add it to that ballot. Otherwise, the next regularly scheduled statewide election is set for November 2008.
As for Real's plans if those petition signatures add up, team spokesman Eric Gelfand said he would not comment on speculation. He pointed to the Web site Real has set up to clear up confusion about the stadium, www.rslstadium.com.
The team hopes to complete construction of the stadium in August 2008.
Meanwhile, Get Real Utah is speaking out against the state's referendum process, calling it archaic and hard to navigate.
Gary Forbush, a former Sandy mayoral candidate who joined up with Get Real Utah, said there's need for a statewide referendum reform. Forbush also helped with a referendum effort in Sandy in 2005, against a Wal-Mart proposed in the city's old gravel pit. He's concerned the process pushes residents away.
Swedlund detailed some of those referendum barriers. He said residents should be able to sign a petition electronically; a statewide Internet database should be used rather than counting by counties; a 14-page bill should not be attached to a petition packet but instead a bill summary; and "county issues should involve county signatures, not statewide signatures."
"It's a system set up for the early 1900s rather than early 2000s," Swedlund said. "Why should the Legislature be afraid of the petition process? ... If they don't behave appropriately, they should be reminded of that through a reasonable referendum process."

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 2:22 PM

good. Let's get this stadium a'built!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:36 AM
Bring out the cranes...

That's good news.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 6:22 PM
Bring out the cranes...

RSL Stadium work has began,

As of Monday work on the stadium began on 9400 south and state street in Sandy Utah. Crews have start moving dirt and digging up a old RV park.

Building girl and I went to the site on Wednesday to check it out. I got some video of crews working on the site. While filming I fell on my ass down a hill and almost slid in a creek. ( I'm sure you guys will get a good laugh out of that. ) It's all on video.

RSL Site work video link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuY1rMoguzA

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 6:46 PM

Nice video SLC. I only laughed a little. Only because I have done that myself.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:31 PM

SALUTE a SLCPROJECTS e a REAL SALT LAKE

OLEEEEEEE.......OLE,OLE,OLEEEEEEE.......

Here's to our favortite Videographer. Sorry about the fall, but it did add a little to the entertainment value.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West