HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
i would say it was a shame if i even knew the mall existed...

i remember going to that food court many many many years ago, and i've always remembered it, but have had no idea where to look for it. now i know, but now it might be too late?

honte or someone, is that a historic building that the mall occupies? Could it be torn down?
it was built in 1990 i believe.

i must confess, i've never been inside. looks like i haven't missed anything

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
it was built in 1990 i believe.

i must confess, i've never been inside. looks like i haven't missed anything
The McDonald's at the food court had an amazing southern view down Michigan Ave. Other than that...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 5:36 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I thought NBC was redoing the plaza?...not doing an outdoor seating area for a suburban Starbucks.

Anyway, check out the dude in the far left of the first rendering. The guy's jacked.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
The McDonald's at the food court had an amazing southern view down Michigan Ave. Other than that...
The upper floor atrium where the food court was located remains and wonderfully open space. Someone should develop this space creatively.The views are quite beautiful.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 7:04 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=31025

Developer seeks OK to make Bucktown building a hotel
By Alby Gallun, Sep. 17, 2008

A city panel on Friday will consider a plan to convert the tallest building in Bucktown into a 90-room hotel, a project that has yet to receive the blessing of the neighborhood’s alderman.

Wicker Park developer MCM Realty Ltd. has asked the Zoning Board of Appeals to approve a special-use permit for the redevelopment of Northwest Tower, a 12-story Art Deco office building at 1600-1608 N. Milwaukee Ave. The project would round out Bucktown, a once gritty neighborhood now known for its expensive homes, trendy restaurants and high-end boutiques — but no hotels.

----
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=31027

Presidential Towers to get health club, CVS, eatery
By Thomas A. Corfman, Sep. 17, 2008

The retail redevelopment of the Presidential Towers apartment complex is moving forward, with letters of intent signed by two anchor tenants: drugstore giant CVS Caremark Corp. and local health club chain Fitness Formula Ltd.

Meanwhile, popular South Loop breakfast spot Yolk plans a second restaurant, which would be located in Presidential Towers, a four-building complex on the edge of the West Loop, sources say.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 7:46 PM

^ that would be a great re-use of northwest tower. I absolutely love that building, ps

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 8:45 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
As opposed to the boaring sod and mini-gravel that's there now in a space that's rarely used?
what's your point? that render isnt much of an upgrade! That has to be the most sterile, uninviting space ever. I mean, do you actually like it?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 9:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
honte or someone, is that a historic building that the mall occupies? Could it be torn down?
It's an SOM design from the late 1980s, their dimmest period. I wouldn't call it particularly noteworthy and it's certainly not very historic. Honestly, I've always found it to be pretty tacky and it wouldn't bother me much to see it reskinned in something more inviting to the pedestrian and more forward-looking. Others might have some good points to the contrary which of course should be entertained.

I doubt it could just be torn down. It was built as a part of the condo tower atop and to the rear (which, strangely, had SCB as the architect instead of SOM - kind of like the work they will be doing at block 37).

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:47 AM

Quote:
One reason why this is being done is because of drainage issues.

Another is the lack of insulation. Remember this is atop a bridge deck and with the bottom side exposed and lack of insulation, the trees that are currently there have the tendency to either drown in water or freeze in the winter.

There will be more development with the completion of the Cityfront Center project amd i'm sure something will eventually go begind Tribune Tower and next to NBC Tower.
Maybe they need somewhere more hospitable than Columbus Drive for Jerry Springer's audience to line up and wait?
But anyway, 2 questions:
1. The whole length of the median or just a portion in front of NBC Tower?
2. Whose project is this? The city's or NBC Tower's?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Anyway, check out the dude in the far left of the first rendering. The guy's jacked.
Security droid?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
what's your point? that render isnt much of an upgrade! That has to be the most sterile, uninviting space ever. I mean, do you actually like it?

my point is, is that if the space is activated, it'll be more inviting.

it's okay. it ain't the plaza at rockerfeller center

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 4:21 PM
Registered

Crain's Photo Essay on Landmark Award Winners

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ate=2008-09-04

Crain's has released a photo compilation of this year's preservation award winners. Click on "More Photos."

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:21 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Thanks for that link. Nice to see a modern renovation like 155 S LaSalle on the list.

Spertus gets an award for "infill", which is something of an understatement.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:40 PM

Question - I heard that Park Tower was built in phases. Phase 1 was the hotel phase, and then after that was finished, Phase 2 (the residential tower) was begun. I also heard that the loans for each phase were obtained separately. Does anyone have amore detailed history of how this worked? Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Question - I heard that Park Tower was built in phases. Phase 1 was the hotel phase, and then after that was finished, Phase 2 (the residential tower) was begun. I also heard that the loans for each phase were obtained separately. Does anyone have amore detailed history of how this worked? Thanks.
don't know about the financing, but the tower went up the same way any other tower did

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 7:57 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward..._b_127224.html

This week, Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House is still flooded

and they're desperately seeking funds to restore and reopen this masterpiece. The National Trust and Landmarks Illinois would love it if you could please send even $25.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:33 PM
Urbane observer

I don't know where the guy gets his information. The water was only in the Farnsworth House for about 36 hours, from Saturday until Monday morning. The furniture had been put up high, but the built-in cabinetry did have some water damage.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the farnsworth house is small enough and has the right shape to be turned into a temporary houseboat for flood situation like this. just figure out a way to mechanically separate the house from it's columns, and when flood waters threaten, just inflate massive pontoons underneath and on all four side of the house and anchor them into the ground, and no matter how high the flood waters get, the interior would be safe and dry.

of course, this would require a team of people to live in the house during floods to monitor it and make sure that the receding waters lay the house back down in its same resting place.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I don't know where the guy gets his information. The water was only in the Farnsworth House for about 36 hours, from Saturday until Monday morning. The furniture had been put up high, but the built-in cabinetry did have some water damage.
He got his information from that ever-credible pillar of news and reliable information, Ariana Huffington.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward..._b_127224.html

This week, Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House is still flooded

and they're desperately seeking funds to restore and reopen this masterpiece. The National Trust and Landmarks Illinois would love it if you could please send even $25.
..can you post an address ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development