HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:27 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
I was just giving you a hard time

How come in the field you are in jobs pay worse in the more expensive cities and pay more in the cheap cities or pay more the further away from the city you are?
^ It's weird, but my field has absolutely nothing to do with where "centers of wealth" are. My field has to do with where people live and whether or not they are well served by people of my profession. People in densely populated areas near many universities are already well served and thus people like me aren't needed. People in hodunk aren't well served and thus there is a huge demand for people who do what I do.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:31 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Anyhow, the further out you are from the city the better the salaries are in my field..
Nice observations above. Interesting to get an informed but outside opinion.

If you need to live "outside of the city," why don't you move down to the Wild Hundreds? It's almost like rural Arkansas sometimes down there.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:32 AM
The City

^ I'm assuming you're talking about the far south side?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:33 AM

ok I'm not making fun of you or your job but that sucks. Realize I say this sitting in my studio apartment.

Anyway, like I said welcome back.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:36 AM
The City

^ Yeah, it certainly does suck. But I don't know, a part of me doesn't mind the peace and quiet of a smaller town.

Yikes, did I just say that? Anyhow, I think I've taken this thread too far off topic..

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:37 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I'm assuming you're talking about the far south side?
Yes. That's what rappers and people "with it" like me call it.

Just follow the train lines out of the city and you'll find some excellent old towns ("suburbs") to live in. There are lots of great places in the older 'burbs for you, and if you're smart you'll plop yourself not too far from a Metra line.

Quote:
^An hour's drive away? . Seriosly, Welcome back!

Two questions. I took the number 36 Bus home today from downtown. I noticed the Cedar Hotel and the bar with the huge outdoor area is closed, the building is closed. WHats going in its place? The Village Theatre is closed it appears. What is going in its place?
Village Theatre is a newly designated, preliminary Landmark, on its way to being fully protected. Maybe VivaLFuego can tell us more about the plans when he stops fuming about the designation.

Cedar Hotel is going to be facadectomized with a new, glassy SCB tower behind.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:55 AM
The City

^ Actually, I do have a job opportunity in the south suburbs, so ya never know...

I never saw this posted here:

9/24/2008 10:00:00 PM Email this article • Print this article

An artist’s conception of how the proposed Renaissance Village would look in East Pilsen.
Fujikawa Johnson Gobel Architects

Developer has big plans for derelict parcels
Hundreds of new units in ‘Renaissance Village’

By MICAH MAIDENBERG
Editor

Sandwiched between the Dan Ryan Expressway and Chicago River south of 18th Street, with borders close to Chinatown and the South Loop, is an unassuming part of East Pilsen filled with two-story residential buildings and vacant lots. A developer is now planning a large new development that could transform the area.

Renaissance Village, a project of Chinatown-based developer R.M. Chin & Associates, could eventually include as many as 446 for-sale and rental units spread over 5.5 acres in several new buildings around 20th Street and Jefferson, Desplaines and Ruble. There will be 40,000 square feet in retail space and a 0.3-acre park.

Twenty-one percent of the units will be marked for affordable buyers and rentals, calculated as 60 to 90 percent of the area median income for Chicagoland. Current area median income for a household of four is about $75,000, according to the Illinois Department of Housing.

"I figure this piece of property was bypassed even though there has been growth all around it," said Raymond Chin, president of the firm developing the project. "We feel that with more growth east of the river, there is natural spillover."

A zoning change was needed to get the land from C3-3, a commercial and manufacturing designation, to a B2-3 neighborhood mixed-used district. A planned development will govern the site. Twenty-fifth Ward Alderman Danny Solis supports the project.

"Compared to other areas in my ward," Solis said, referring to Pilsen, Heart of Chicago and Little Italy, "this is the one neighborhood-bound by Cermak, 16th Street, Canal and the expressway-that really doesn't have strong identity. I think this development is going to help bring that."

Solis said he had considered other projects over the years for the site. Costco was once interested, but there wasn't enough land. It has been vacant for over 20 years, he said.

Chin said his group had yet to finance the project but that he believed with the zoning change in place, his firm would be able to make pre-sales and secure a loan. The goal is to start construction on 112 units in two eight-story buildings by the second quarter of 2009.

"Hopefully, by the time election comes, the government will have this economy back in shape," he said.

The Plan Commission gave the project permission to go ahead in a unanimous vote at its September meeting; the project still needs full approval from the city council.

The land is within the Pilsen Industrial Corridor, an area designated by the city to assist current manufacturers and encourage new users to open. The Pilsen Manufacturing District is to the east.

While zoning changes for large-scale residential development have been controversial-many community residents fought a 387-unit project at 18th and Peoria-no one spoke against Renaissance Village at the Plan Commission meeting.

David Betlewjewski, executive director of the 18th Street Development Corporation, supports the project because the land in question has sat vacant for years and because of the affordable component-both in terms of the percentage of units slated as affordable and the area median income calculation.

"We like development but we like balanced development that fits into the neighborhood, that doesn't create a rich vs. poor scenario," he said. The 18th Street Development Corporation will help Chin find buyers for the affordable units.

The group also works to bring new businesses into the Pilsen Industrial Corridor. Asked if he was concerned about building residential units in the corridor, Betlewjewski said the area had always been a buffer between residential units and industrial users south of Cermak.

"If this had been a true part of the PMD, that would have been much bigger issue," he said, referring to the Pilsen Manufacturing District. "The fact that it had always been a buffer boundary makes it a different story."

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Two questions. I took the number 36 Bus home today from downtown. I noticed the Cedar Hotel and the bar with the huge outdoor area is closed, the building is closed. WHats going in its place? The Village Theatre is closed it appears. What is going in its place?
The Cedar Hotel is having the facade preserved with a slender, glassy 20-story hotel built behind it (approved in the old Natarus days to the horror of the neighbors). This was previously a drug and prostitution den, so by most measures this is progress. I could be wrong, but I assume there was little worth saving inside, and the terra cotta facade will apparently be saved and restored so it should provide for an interesting contrast. Upon completion, the front patio will again host a restaurant/bar.

The Village Theatre is set to be a decayed, abandoned eyesore worthy of Hyde Park for years to come because Reilly won't even consider any redevelopment proposals for that area, despite the zoning allowing for an FAR of 5.0 (it falls within the "lakefront protection/extortion zone," so the alderman can kill projects even if they conform with zoning). I've seen this before in my old neighborhood, where albatrosses like St. Stephen's Church, Hyde Park Theater, and the Dr.'s Hospital decay to blighted oblivion because of brain-dead NIMBYism (selectively and falsely couched in the guise of preservationism, see "Esquire Theater") and spineless political leadership. From experience seeing many movies there, there is little worth saving from the Village other than the awesome facade. I'd be fine if it were saved and used as a venue for live theater, concerts, and so on, but the neighbors would never allow that so it's a moot point anyway ("Would someone please think of the parking?"). The smog-belching communists would rather the eyesore than more people coming into their personal private neighborhood. Plus since it's across the street from the school a new liquor permit would probably be a non-starter without some serious clout.

[/rant off]
Ahem. I'd love to be wrong about the Village I'm glad that Germania Club is being landmarked and preserved. I just think 1-2 stories at North/Clark is a travesty of land use. I wish they'd resurect the 101 North Avenue highrise proposal...

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Sep 29, 2008 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:34 AM

The Cedar Hotel was a drug and prostitution den with all those so 'hot' tourists at the huge bar in the middle of the Gold Coast? haha!

Glad they are preserving the facade. Any renderings?

Speaking of Nimbyism. Has Lincoln Park Nimbyied itself to boredom? Clark Street in Lincoln Park was definetly not as vibrant or attractive as Broadway, the 36 bus route, in Lakeview. While the residential streets in Lincoln Park are more attractive the business corridors where dull considering the amount of wealth. Isn't that why the monied people moved there, to be in the center? So now they will march on to Lakeview, because Lakeview is 'cooler' and bore that place to death too?

On another note. How about the transient Hotel Chateau in Lakeview? Three people died in an overdose this weekend. Ok, but what got me while looking for Google images of the place, hoping for an inside pic was links to hotel reviews, damn people actually booked stays there. People who stayed there where to say the least shocked. I had no clue people stayed there as a hotel vacation. I can tolerate a lot but roaches and bed bugs galore, no thanks. Beautiful building though.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:

On another note. How about the transient Hotel Chateau in Lakeview? '..... damn people actually booked stays there. People who stayed there where to say the least shocked. I had no clue people stayed there as a hotel vacation. I can tolerate a lot but roaches and bed bugs galore, no thanks. Beautiful building though.
Thanks I can't stop laughing.

I don't remember the finishings - nothing special - the residents were highly unforgettable.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:31 PM

Quote:
The Cedar Hotel was a drug and prostitution den with all those so 'hot' tourists at the huge bar in the middle of the Gold Coast? haha!
Cedar was a transient hotel, of which there are several nearby (the Mark Twain, Marshall, and Carling come to mind). Definitely a throwback to the old Near North side of 50 years ago.

Quote:
Glad they are preserving the facade. Any renderings?

Quote:
Speaking of Nimbyism. Has Lincoln Park Nimbyied itself to boredom?
[WARNING: Editorializing to follow] Somewhat. Certainly the closing of Columbus Hospital took a lot of people off the street and out of the area, the demolition of Cabrini Hall eliminated many affordable rental units (the type of people who actually walk around the neighborhood), and the ongoing gradual redevelopment generally results in lower unit density (e.g. 2-flat converted to luxury SFH) and lower population density (fewer persons per household). It's partially a NIMBYism thing, and partially a demographic thing. But I'd still call that stretch of Clark vibrant by most measures, as is the Armitage/Halsted retail district. It could take a painful hit after Children's Hospital closes, though, if the NIMBYs prevent any serious traffic generator from replacing it. I would agree that Broadway and Belmont in Lakeview are, lately, much more vibrant, though.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 5:23 PM

The approved plan for the facade of the Cedar is to disassemble it and reassemble it. The terra cotta is all in quite good condition, as is the existing facade brick, as well as replacing miscellaneous pieces when necessary (terra cotta has a nasty habit of looking great in place until you take it out whereupon it falls to pieces). As for the rest of the building, and particularly the interior...sweet god almighty! I'm surprised it hasn't collapsed under its own weight already!

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 9:24 PM

Quote:
On another note. How about the transient Hotel Chateau in Lakeview? Three people died in an overdose this weekend. Ok, but what got me while looking for Google images of the place, hoping for an inside pic was links to hotel reviews, damn people actually booked stays there. People who stayed there where to say the least shocked. I had no clue people stayed there as a hotel vacation. I can tolerate a lot but roaches and bed bugs galore, no thanks. Beautiful building though.
It is a SRO "single room occupancy" many of the Congregations and Synagogues in the Lake View neighborhood support the building in principle and keeping it open. The land lord has a very poor attitude though....and has let the building run down.

http://chicago.everyblock.com/busine...8/6/16/843445/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Nimbyism. Has Lincoln Park Nimbyied itself to boredom? Clark Street in Lincoln Park was definetly not as vibrant or attractive as Broadway, the 36 bus route, in Lakeview. While the residential streets in Lincoln Park are more attractive the business corridors where dull considering the amount of wealth. Isn't that why the monied people moved there, to be in the center? So now they will march on to Lakeview, because Lakeview is 'cooler' and bore that place to death too?
Clark streets problem in Lincoln Park is that one company bought up much of the property and runs close to slumlord businesses and is asking for extremely high rent...thus forcing out many of the wonderful mom and pop shops along that street. Several Lincoln Park Neighborhood organizations have been trying hard to get the land lord to leave the area.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 2:39 PM
The City

In preservation news...

New buildings, districts proposed for landmarking

Landmarks Commission targets South Side commercial district, eight neighborhood banks, and Northwest Side home for permanent protection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Commission on Chicago Landmarks today recommended that the City Council designate as Chicago Landmarks a South Side residential area, a series of bank buildings and two Northwest Side houses.

"This wide variety of historic structures demonstrate how Chicago’s history is shaped in a myriad of ways, and is reflected in the buildings we cherish," said Mayor Richard M. Daley.

Chatham-Greater Crossing Commercial District, 6th and 8th Wards
The district contains a visually-distinctive group of predominately terra-cotta and brick-clad buildings built between 1911 and 1930 containing some of the best-surviving commercial buildings remaining in Chicago"s neighborhoods. The district is composed of 22 buildings in the vicinity of Cottage Grove and 75th and 79th Streets–two contiguous "core" areas and six non-contiguous individual buildings.

Eight Neighborhood Bank Buildings
These eight neighborhood bank buildings are some of the most outstanding examples of the many historic bank buildings located throughout Chicago. They were built during a “golden age” of bank architecture in America beginning in the 1910s and ending with the Great Depression of 1929: the Chicago City Bank and Trust Company Building; the Cosmopolitan State Bank Building; Hyde Park-Kenwood National Bank Building; the Kimball Trust and Savings Bank Building; the Marquette Park State Bank Building; the Marshfield Trust and Savings Bank Building; the Sheridan Trust and Savings Bank Building; and the Stock Yards National Bank Building.

Charles N. Loucks House, 3926 N. Keller Ave.
This building is a fine example of "pattern-book architecture," a then-popular method by which homeowners and developers received house plans by mail order and is significant to the Irving Park neighborhood's early development as a "railroad suburb." The structure is Queen Anne, an architectural style highly popular for domestic architecture in Chicago in the 1860s-1890s.

John and Clara Merchant House, 3854 N. Kostner Ave.
Another example of "pattern-book architecture," this structure is in the Second Empire style, a French-influenced architectural style popular for stylish single-family homes in Chicago in the 1860s-1870s.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 2:53 PM
Registered

^ Does anyone know what the outcome of the North Avenue Federal Savings bank was? I unfortunately could not follow that issue... it appears they were successful in getting out of the designation, which infuriates me if so.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 3:35 PM

^ I don't know any details on how they escaped consideration for landmarking, but I'm sure they were assisted by the fact that approximately 6 of us in the whole city think mid-century modern architecture worthy of serious consideration for preservation. Although my previous rants suggest I want high density for this area, my soft spot for Murphy-era modernism (of which it is nearly a pristine example) would certainly support protecting the cool structure. I'd be amenable if the lack of landmarking meant there were plans to replace it with a serious highrise worthy of it's prominent location at the corner of the park, but the more likely scenario given rampant NIMBYism and Vi Daley panderism would be a parking garage/lot anyway - so I'd prefer the unique, well-crafted lowrise bank.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 3:38 PM
The City

I was on Devon Ave. last weekend and saw that the Bombay Bazaar is pretty close to completion. I'm also waiting for that development on Devon & Rockwell to finally get started. Does anybody know anything about the judge's ruling on the case brought up against it by the goddamn NIMBY tyrants?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 4:36 PM
TL;DR

Are there any plans to redevelop Ogden Elementary? I don't know if they have a space crunch or not, but it seems like it occupies an unimpressive 1930s building with a large playground in a neighborhood with some of the highest land values in the city. If CPS were to sell half the block to a developer, they could then build a shiny new Ogden with the playground facilities on the roof. This would also be a smart and sensible way to raise money for CPS... The land would probably sell for $50-60 million, and the cost of construction for the new school would probably be about half that... the rest would go directly towards shoring up CPS' budget.

A plan is underway to do this at 250 E. 57th St in NYC. The same model would work here...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 5:54 PM
Registered

^ Re: Ogden, Natarus tried to get this through a long time ago... it's not a new idea by any means. Anyway, it was a non-starter, dead at the gate.

I happen to like the building that is there anyway, so it was fine for me.

___

@ VivaL, are you positive that the proposed landmarking of the north side bank was rejected? What a shame if so - I was seriously hoping it would be an indication of the city's appreciation and willingness to protect some of its smaller Modern masterpieces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development