HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Friends star Matthew Perry passed away this evening, apparently drowning, perhaps also as a result of another medical issue.
Nobody drowns in a hot tub (except perhaps a toddler or infant).

There has to be an underlying cause.

It might have been a medical issue such as a cardiac arrhythmia, heart attack or stroke.

Or, Perry could have relapsed in his drug abuse problems, and was stuporous to the point of being defenceless.

Either way, this is all very sad.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Nobody drowns in a hot tub (except perhaps a toddler or infant).

There has to be an underlying cause.

It might have been a medical issue such as a cardiac arrhythmia, heart attack or stroke.

Or, Perry could have relapsed in his drug abuse problems, and was stuporous to the point of being defenceless.

Either way, this is all very sad.
His last instagram post shows him in a spa. Now this was several days ago so who knows if it was the same one he died in. But, when you say "hot tub", I think of the thing I have in my back yard where it's comfortable for me and my wife to get in. The jacuzzi he was in was larger than the pool at my last house and only his head was above water. When I posted last night, it was only a few minutes after TMZ came out with the story and I did qualify my comments with perhaps a medical issue caused the drowning as it was way too early to actually know.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
His last instagram post shows him in a spa. Now this was several days ago so who knows if it was the same one he died in. But, when you say "hot tub", I think of the thing I have in my back yard where it's comfortable for me and my wife to get in. The jacuzzi he was in was larger than the pool at my last house and only his head was above water. When I posted last night, it was only a few minutes after TMZ came out with the story and I did qualify my comments with perhaps a medical issue caused the drowning as it was way too early to actually know.
Thanks for clarifying. This changes things quite a lot. It could very well have been an accidental drowning then.

RIP.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 5:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Nothing that I can find so far at CBC (no surprise). Not Canadian but another TV personality Richard Moll (Night Court) has died as well
It was high up on the CBC list of stories early this morning.

Nothing political about it, so I am not sure why you are stating "no surprise".

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 6:09 PM
Volatile Pacivist

They're saying "no surprise" because many conservative leaning people write off the CBC as being bad because they don't agree with all of its reporting or coverage choices. And once you write something off as bad, you'll assume it's bad overall meaning that it's faulty in other areas too. That's because they assume the disagreements they have with it can't be mere differences in opinion or philosophies, or heaven forbid, that they might be wrong themselves. No, the disagreement must be due to other party being crazy and/or incompetent because if they weren't, they'd have programming that they consider "correct" ie indulging conservative narratives.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
They're saying "no surprise" because many conservative leaning people write off the CBC as being bad because they don't agree with all of its reporting or coverage choices. And once you write something off as bad, you'll assume it's bad overall meaning that it's faulty in other areas too. That's because they assume the disagreements they have with it can't be mere differences in opinion or philosophies, or heaven forbid, that they might be wrong themselves. No, the disagreement must be due to other party being crazy and/or incompetent because if they weren't, they'd have programming that they consider "correct" ie indulging conservative narratives.
I would say that's fairly close to the truth except for the part about indulging conservative narratives.. Why you often see conservative leaning people perturbed by coverage is because of what they see as a lack of fairness. CBC has always had a "liberal" leaning but it was tolerable because the coverage seemed fair. The same applies to left leaning people who use Fox News as a pejorative and roll their eyes. The news division has some very good journalists and the commentators (like other outlets) are just that. You have to distinguish between the two.

There are far more activists than journalists at Mother Corps. Personally, I have brought attention to stories I've seen as fair, frankly because I am surprised they are there. I thought it was very courageous (a much overused word these days) for one of their radio hosts to really grill her own boss (the President of the CBC). I think the BSM story took some courage because it seems to both fight and coddle CBC's ultra native and alphabet agenda but my real interest in the story is the mystery and personal element not the political. I can find enough of that here.

Last edited by elly63; Oct 29, 2023 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 9:31 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I would say that's fairly close to the truth except for the part about indulging conservative narratives.. Why you often see conservative leaning people perturbed by coverage is because of what they see as a lack of fairness. CBC has always had a "liberal" leaning but it was tolerable because the coverage seemed fair. The same applies to left leaning people who use Fox News as a pejorative and roll their eyes. The news division has some very good journalists and the commentators (like other outlets) are just that. You have to distinguish between the two.
I realize what you meant, but when conservatives say "lack of fairness" what it actually tends to amount to is someone not indulging conservative narratives. They believe their perspective is correct and therefore it's unfair for someone to say otherwise even if their perspective is verifiably incorrect. They expect an outlet to "both sides" an issue when the actual facts of the issue clearly support a conclusion they don't like. Or increasingly, to not even "both sides" it and just give them the angle they want.

And it's definitely not like when people call out Fox News for partisanship or factual inaccuracies because the actual facts matter. The issue isn't whether two groups each claim a certain news outlet has factual inaccuracies. It's whether or not the outlets in question actually have factual inaccuracies. And Fox News is notorious for blurring the lines between their news reporting and their commentary. Not that everything the news personnel say is incorrect. Just that there are enough inaccuracies to make it unreliable.

That's been known for a good decade now after a well-known study was conducted of various news viewers in the US. It's asked them a series of questions on current events while controlling for other variables such as party affiliation and the use of other news sources. While the results varied, Fox News viewers were uniquely poorly informed to the point that they were less knowledgeable than people who watch no news at all. And notably, also less knowledgeable than viewers of any of the other outlets including ones accused of being liberal. While MSNBC also didn't do well (though better than Fox) NPR did the best despite it regularly being maligned as having a left-leaning bias.

So no, the "same thing" most certainly does not apply.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 10:00 PM

One thing Conservatives often ask themselves is "what if" or put the shoe on the other foot. What if Poilievre wore the blackface would the coverage be the same? What if Poilievre made claims about being a feminist supporter and have four? women leave his caucus would he get the same treatment or much worse? These are the questions many Conservatives ask when it comes to fairness.

As I said before I don't need to get into a game of gotchas here because I am pretty sure my side is gonna be happy next election. I'm not totally against Liberals (I used to be one) I'm just against this particular group. But anything could happen, I thought Trump was down and dusted and now he is leading the polls but I don't see that happening to JT

Last edited by elly63; Oct 29, 2023 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 11:03 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
One thing Conservatives often ask themselves is "what if" or put the shoe on the other foot. What if Poilievre wore the blackface would the coverage be the same? What if Poilievre made claims about being a feminist and have four? women leave his caucus would he get the same treatment or much worse? These are the questions many Conservatives ask when it comes to fairness.
Wait, so it's all just speculation about hypotheticals rather than a critique of the actual coverage?

But yes, I can imagine what would happen if the shoe were reversed in many cases. Like if Pierre had intentionally appoint an equal number of male and female MPs to cabinet and 4 women left. Conservatives would have claimed it was just what happens when you try to appease the woke left by appointing people who aren't qualified. We know this because many did claim that the government appointed people who weren't qualified, assuming that's an inevitable result of equal representation. And if Pierre was found to have worn black face they would have whole heartedly defended him by pointing out it was a long time ago and it wasn't an important issue.

And as a Black person I was frustrated by the dialogue surrounding the blackface incident with people claiming Trudeau was given a special pass because of favouritism or some such. In reality, people like me didn't think it was that important because Trudeau was otherwise fairly strong on social issues so there was no indication it was due to actual racism rather than just poor judgement. But for someone with a different track record, that might not have been so clear. Let's say we place everyone on a scale of say, 1-100, with 1 being the most racist person possible who commits hate crimes, has a swastika tattoo, etc, while a 100 is the most perfectly anti-racist person possible. Under say, 30 points would be low enough to be a problem and over 70 would be exceptionally good. Most people would fall somewhere in between.

When you first meet someone before you know anything about them, you default them to a 50. Neither racist nor anti-racist. Then as you learn more about them that knowledge might position them differently. Discovering they did blackface in their younger years would make for a big deduction of say 25 points. So someone who was previously a 75 would drop to a 50. Not much of an issue. But someone who was already a 50 would drop to a 25. A bit of a problem. But in both cases the people are being treated equally. They were assigned their prior point position based on the same criteria which, for a politicians often means points are added or deducted based on their policies and public statements, while the same number of points were deducted for the transgression. The fact that the final total is different is not any form of inconsistency or unfairness and it makes a lot of sense that one would be scrutinized more closely than the other. But a big part of the problem is that some people aren't capable of such nuance.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:15 AM

Just came across this, he really has the soul of a comedian much like another Ottawa guy. RIP Before she got introduced I thought Pam was a celebrity, resembles Sigourney Weaver? Had to look it up, but the story Letterman tells about Tony Danza on The Love Boat is true.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:25 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
he really has the soul of a comedian much like another Ottawa guy.
Who would that be?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:56 AM

Quote:
....Also for that kind of story TMZ might be a better source. I don't think we need to detail all of MSM's false reporting. When The View (and their in show corrections) is part of ABC News then I know it's lost the plot.
Arguing that a daytime talk show (The View) is indicative of the failings of all mainstream news organizations, just because it is produced by ABC's news division, is nonsensical. As for TMZ being a good source, I'd suggest that they subscribe to the "publish first, apologize later" school of journalism...

With regards to your initial post, the reason I called you out on it is that your shot at the CBC was clearly less about their coverage and more about your dislike for the network as a whole. That's counterproductive - and it potentially weakens posts where you might put forward valid arguments against them.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:10 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Arguing that a daytime talk show (The View) is indicative of the failings of all mainstream news organizations, just because it is produced by ABC's news division, is nonsensical. As for TMZ being a good source, I'd suggest that they subscribe to the "publish first, apologize later" school of journalism...

With regards to your initial post, the reason I called you out on it is that your shot at the CBC was clearly less about their coverage and more about your dislike for the network as a whole. That's counterproductive - and it potentially weakens posts where you might put forward valid arguments against them.
Maybe elly63 should not me arguing with someone as Tvisforme as a handle.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post

You seem to be making several incorrect assumptions in this post and I noticed you haven't mentioned again about the original issue of the time CBC posted the story which was several hours after everybody else and using TMZ as a source via an AP story posted to CBC.

And you were wrong again about my motive concerning the Perry story, they were way behind when everybody else had published, again the reason I posted. I do have a dislike for their present leftist activist leanings, far more prevalent on the website than on the few shows I still continue to occasionally see. For instance I watched a story on Israeli and Palestinian restauranters that I thought was fair. But if you want to believe Conservatives suddenly have an issue with the CBC for no valid reason even when they are not in power, and the ruling party should be under the microscope then hey, you be you.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Mods cheer lead now?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:18 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Mods cheer lead now?
Nope, just figured the name meant something.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Nope, just figured the name meant something.
My apologies

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Who would that be?
Norm MacDonald of course Did some people think I meant JT (he's not funny) After my initial thoughts of Norm I wondered there must be another comedian from Ottawa so I looked it up. There was the guy who was acknowledged at one time as Canada's greatest comedian, Mike MacDonald. He had a funny routine about that. He was kind of like to Canadian comedy like what the Hip was to Canadian music. JMO.

I did know (and forgotten) about Tom Green and there was Dan Aykroyd and Rich Little but I was thinking pure standups primarily.

If you listen to Perry, his delivery and thought processes seem like what a standup would do, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:27 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Norm MacDonald of course Did some people think I meant JT (he's not funny) After my initial thoughts of Norm I wondered there must be another comedian from Ottawa so I looked it up. There was the guy who was acknowledged at one time as Canada's greatest comedian, Mike MacDonald. He had a funny routine about that. He was kind of like to Canadian comedy like what the Hip was to Canadian music. JMO.

I did know (and forgotten) about Tom Green and there was Dan Aykroyd and Rich Little but I was thinking pure standups primarily.

If you listen to Perry, his delivery and thought processes seem like what a standup would do, IMO.
Isn't Norm MacDonald more of a Québec City guy? At least officially?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:28 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
AFAIK Elly is a TV guy as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada