HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Silvercup Studios Residential I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 10:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, it is great to see these developments in the other boroughs. Manhattan can't contain it all. The Atlantic Yards project in Brooklyn is a perfect example of what could be done (Long Island City has even larger open rail yards).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 5:22 AM

how many floors a week do the buildings at queens west rise.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 6:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew11 View Post
how many floors a week do the buildings at queens west rise.

Have no idea, but they go up pretty quickly.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 6:53 AM

Love this proposal, definitely one of the most interesting ones in the whole city (including Manhattan) and several steps above the skyline fillers at Queens West.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 7:13 AM
New Yorker for life

An older proposal for Queens West (current site of East Coast LIC)...
http://www.meltzermandl.com/projects...queenswest.htm

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 2:03 AM
low-riding

damnit. Now how sure is this thing? Are they relying on presales or is it good to go

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
damnit. Now how sure is this thing? Are they relying on presales or is it good to go
It's a go. They've been quietly getting various approvals from the City, though they now have a requirement to add "affordable" units. It's more the expansion of the studio that's driving this project.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Daily News

Silvercup looks golden after tax break deal

BY FRANK LOMBARDI
December 20, 2006

City lawmakers agreed yesterday on a plan to revamp a program that gives tax breaks to housing developers, and the biggest winner may be Silvercup Studios, the production home of "The Sopranos" and "Sex and the City."

A deal on a bill overhauling the 421a program was struck by Council Speaker Christine Quinn and Mayor Bloomberg with a group of Council dissenters after extensive back room negotiations.

The measure was quickly approved by a 9-to-2 vote in the Council's Housing Committee, and the full Council is set to give its green light today

Silvercup, which has also turned out such films as "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Gangs of New York," has city approval to build Silvercup West, a $1.2 billion development project in Long Island City. That project will include more studio facilities and 1,000 units of market-rate housing.

Under the new bill, Silvercup West will be exempt from having to include 150 units of affordable housing on the same site. Instead it will be allowed to build those units elsewhere in Long Island City.

That provision could end up saving Silvercup up to $100 million in property taxes over the next three decades, according to a participant in the Council negotiations who asked not to be identified.

But Council and city officials strongly defended the studio's loophole, saying it grandfathers in a prior arrangement. They said the Silvercup West site would already be under construction except that state officials requested a delay in the removal of several state power generators from the site to ensure adequate electricity through next summer.

The compromise bill got mixed reviews from housing activists and the Real Estate Board of New York.

"Council members and advocates came together to press for the simple idea that we should not be handing out tax breaks to anybody unless they are building affordable housing," said Julie Miles, director of Housing Here & Now, the coalition of housing groups that campaigned for 421a reform. "This bill is a significant step in that direction."

But Michael Slattery, a senior vice president of the Real Estate Board, said, "It has only made a bad bill worse. It's going to create less, rather than more, affordable housing."

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:06 PM

This project will really put Queens on the map. It is as impressive as anything they are building in Manhattan, but affordable.
I read recently New York will have more than 9mil in 10 years, and most of that population growth will not be Manhattan. Queens is the only place with the underdeveloped land to absorb that growth. I wish I had some $$ to invest.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 11:44 AM

Well, if you look at the five boroughs from the air, you will see that most of the rest of the boroughs are fairly lowrise and flat.

Therefore, most areas outside Manhattan (and even some areas inside such as the Westside and a lot of Upper Manhattan) can be considered underdeveloped.

The problem is zoning and NIMBYs who will fight any proposals to upzone an area.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 1:44 PM
New Yorker for life

One of the amazing things about New York is the number of people who always want a bite of the Big Apple. As long as they keep finding places to put people, New York will continue to grow. The City just needs to find the right balance to keep it affordable, or risk becoming what some consider it to already be - a place for the very rich, or very poor.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 3:51 PM
World Machine

NYC is a meca for the rich and always will be.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 7:24 PM
low-riding

not just the rich. im usually broke, but this has always been my heaven. I cant live anywhere else. Well maybe not the Bronx..

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Correction:Manhattan is a mecca for the rich.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 11:46 PM
Time/Space

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Correction:Manhattan is a mecca for the rich.
Correction: Manhattan is in NYC. So Dac150 is corrent in that sense.

Also there are areas in Brooklyn, Bronx and in Queens where there are Million dollar homes. That only the rich can afford. Just like there are areas in Manhattan where the poor can still find a place to live. (with governemnt help of course, or lots of people packing themselves in tight living conditions.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 12:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Depends on your point of view. There is a high poverty rate in the City. It's not just the rich that flock to New York, though it somtimes seems that's who the housing is being built for.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 9:28 PM
low-riding

i would love to live in manhattan but the rent that i pay now in the bronx would allow me a broom closet with a microwave in manhattan. meanwhile bronxside i got a great spacious apt with a distant view of two bridges. damn manhattan economics

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 11:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
i would love to live in manhattan but the rent that i pay now in the bronx would allow me a broom closet with a microwave in manhattan. meanwhile bronxside i got a great spacious apt with a distant view of two bridges. damn manhattan economics
LOL. Manhattan will only become tighter, even as new residential developments go up.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 12:15 PM
New Yorker for life

NY Post

THE LONG WAY HOME
L.I.C. IS A-OK WITH DOZENS OF NEW CONDOS AND RENTAL BUILDINGS

RISING: EastCoast (left) and Avalon Bay

By ADAM BONISLAWSKI
January 25, 2007

'WHY the hell are you moving there?" That, says Alan Capper, was the question posed to him by a friend last year when he announced his plans to move with his fiancée and daughter from his one-bedroom West Village pad to a new two-bedroom apartment in Long Island City, Queens.

"I had a number of expressions of sympathy from people in Greenwich Village when I told them," recalls Capper, president of the New York-based Foreign Press Association. "It was like they were thinking, 'Oh dear, they must not be doing well at all to be moving over there.'"

Such concern, Capper believes, is misplaced. True, his new home has never exactly been what you'd call a destination neighborhood, but big change is under way in Long Island City.

One stop from Grand Central on the 7 line, the area has long been mentioned in discussions of the next big outer-borough nabes. And while other places like DUMBO and Williamsburg have thrived, L.I.C. has been more a story of unmet potential.

But with roughly 50 new buildings currently either under construction or in the planning stages, Long Island City is now beginning to look like something of a boomtown - one that could become more viable than those Brooklyn 'hoods.

"There's easy access, transportation; the views are spectacular," says Tom Elghanayan, president of Rockrose Development, builders of the new EastCoast complex, which includes a rental building at 4720 Center Blvd. that Capper calls home. "The neighborhood is just in the beginning stages, but you're going to see in two years' time a huge transformation."

Rockrose should figure prominently in the process. The firm plans to build six more luxury towers on a 22-acre waterfront site formerly occupied by a Pepsi-Cola bottling plant. The high-rises will be part of the larger Queens West development - a 74-acre project from the Empire State Development Corporation calling for 15 residential buildings and 2 million square feet of commercial space along the banks of the East River.

Moving inland to the east and north of the Queens West project, there's plenty of activity as well. At the 237-unit Arris Lofts development just across the street from the high-rise Citicorp building, one-bedroom units start at $560,000, two-bedrooms at $870,000 and three-bedrooms at $1,360,000.

Nearby, on Jackson Avenue, the new Echelon building offers 54 one- and two-bedrooms starting at $515,000 and $755,000, respectively.

Add into the mix other new projects like 47th Street's 44-unit Badge building, the Andres Escobar-designed Powerhouse development along the waterfront on Second Street and the 47-unit Gantry building, and you've got a community on the rise in L.I.C.

And with several dozen similar developments in the works, a neighborhood long considered a kind of pretender is turning into the new center of the outer-borough boom, with units going for around $600 per square foot and waterfront units in the $700 range.

"A lot of people feel they're getting an opportunity here," says Prudential Douglas Elliman Executive Vice President Andy Gerringer. "They saw Williamsburg go from $400 to $800 per square foot. They saw DUMBO move from $500 to $900. They're getting an opportunity to get in on the ground floor here and they feel like, 'Hey, this is a shot for me'."

When the Gantry building put out its pre-sales list in late 2005, more than 900 potential buyers signed on to receive information. A year later, the building is sold out. Rockrose's rental development at 4720 Center Blvd. is 90 percent occupied after opening in the fall. Just a single one-bedroom is available for rent ($2,755 per month for 730 square feet with water views). A handful of two-bedrooms start at $3,400.

Even in the neighborhood's grittier northern reaches, in the area surrounding Queens Plaza, new construction has been met with great interest. Last May, in order to snag a spot in the Developers Group's Queens Plaza building, KeySpan employee MaryAnn Behan took a cab in from Nassau County at 3 a.m. to make sure she'd be near the front of the line when sales started.

"I said, OK, if I get there and there's either no one in line or already 50 people in line, I'm turning around and leaving," Behan recalls.

As it turned out, she was the third person to arrive in a crowd that grew to around 30 by noon. Two weeks later, she went into contract on a one-bedroom apartment.

As for the fact that it's still easier to find a strip club than a grocery store in her new nabe, Behan says she's counting on the developments to the south and west of her to bring the necessary services to the area.

"I feel like that wave will spread," she says. "I feel like I'm on the cutting edge right now of something that will happen in the next few years."

Filmmaker Roberto Mitrotti is similarly optimistic. He and his wife moved to the neighborhood from Manhattan two years ago, but having had an office in the area for some six years, he's arguably an L.I.C. veteran.

"When I moved here, an attorney I know who is very involved in real estate called me and said, 'You are in the right place because you are going to see amazing things happen,'" Mitrotti says. "So the big money knew what was going to happen.

"But no one else did. All the people I knew in Manhattan would just say, 'Long Island City? What a dump.'"

Now, however, he says, those same people visit him across the river, look at his city views and go home wishing they had gotten into the neighborhood when he did.

Mitrotti admits L.I.C. still has a way to go. New bars and boutiques and restaurants are popping up along Vernon Avenue and throughout the neighborhood. Still, no one is going to mistake the place for SoHo. But the process has started, and the momentum is there.

"It's happening. It's unavoidable," Mitrotti says. "You have to be a little patient, but you can get something very special in Long Island City."

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 6:55 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
Correction: Manhattan is in NYC. So Dac150 is corrent in that sense.

Also there are areas in Brooklyn, Bronx and in Queens where there are Million dollar homes. That only the rich can afford. Just like there are areas in Manhattan where the poor can still find a place to live. (with governemnt help of course, or lots of people packing themselves in tight living conditions.
HEY! There are very expensive and upscale areas on Staten Island too (i.e. Todt Hill). WHY does everyone always forget STATEN ISLAND?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals