HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 9:18 PM
Here and There

I see a new power-centre forming with the bow valley - suncor - Bow complex. Its a good thing that Bow vally square did all of those revovations!! I hope they have room for all of the new traffic between those 8 buildings!!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 9:54 PM

So GCS is still the busiest area for the +15, interesting. I wonder if the Bow will affect the numbers much.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The city conducted counts of +15 usage in January, here is the map with the results:

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/...ts-2011-01.pdf
Tim Hortons in GCS should have to pay a maintenance tax for theirs. That is a crazy amount of traffic.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:15 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The city conducted counts of +15 usage in January, here is the map with the results:

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/...ts-2011-01.pdf
Very interesting. I'm a little surprised the highest count came from the bridge between Gulf Canada & Banker's hall. This map is worth looking at if you're trying to decide if a space is worth renting for your corner store type business that relies partly on walk-by traffic.

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison count in June to see the differences in traffic when the weather is nicer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
That's a cool find, thanks BT!

It mostly fits with my experience. I've walked most of the +15 by now and there are some surprisingly busy "outlier" walkways. The main N-S corridor between 2nd and 3rd is by far the major highway here.

I'm shocked at how little traffic the Bow has seen so far.
I'm not, since it was still a construction zone in January when the survey was done...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 6:47 PM

As a student doing research on skyway systems including the +15 in Calgary, this thread has been very interesting to read through. It's one thing reading about the skyway in news articles and books, but they don't offer any insight into the opinions of the people who use the system.

If anyone has time to fill out a short questionnaire that I put together online, that would be fantastic

this is the link: http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?s...1pmwy7lk227529 thanks!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:00 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh123 View Post
As a student doing research on skyway systems including the +15 in Calgary, this thread has been very interesting to read through. It's one thing reading about the skyway in news articles and books, but they don't offer any insight into the opinions of the people who use the system.

If anyone has time to fill out a short questionnaire that I put together online, that would be fantastic

this is the link: http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?s...1pmwy7lk227529 thanks!
Feel free to post back your results. I'm sure people here will be interested.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:12 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Absolutely post the results if you can! As a frequent and long time used of the Plus 15 system I would be very curious to see the results.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:20 PM

I'd be very happy to share the results when I'm done... hopefully there'll be enough respondents/data. I've posted the link in a couple of other online forums but this is the fastest response so far, so thanks guys!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Thats why I said it should start at 5 (instead of 6) and be free on Saturdays......
Old post but this is actually an insanely good idea to vitalize the downtown core.

With most people's work ending at about 5pm the fact that parking is excessively expensive for that hour from the time they leave work until 6 is a major hurdle for downtown restaurants and shopping establishments on a weeknight.

By changing to that single hour earlier for the cheap rate people leaving work can immediately drive somewhere, park cheaply, and go shopping or out to have a bite to eat downtown.

One of the major reasons for the mass exudus that occurs at present is because people whose work ends at 5 are enticed to leave the core and go to a strip mall in the burbs with free parking, a semi-casual restaurant, and some chain retail instead of parking downtown and hitting up a restaurant on Stephens Ave and getting some shopping done in The Core.

I think the city would be VERY smart to rethink the hours for low rate public parking and drop it by an hour, so would places like the Bankers Hall parkade. 5 o'clock makes ALOT of practical sense.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues