HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:18 AM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:27 AM
Meh

^That's kind of a neat view of 500 West 2nd. And it looks like the Fairmont Hotel's spire will stick up there a good bit above Northshore. And again, our tree canopy looks great in this one.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:10 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hequals2henry View Post
Thank you, but no that won't work. It might work for the front facing surface, but not the side.
Your work is significantly better than anything I'd put together. And it serves its purpose of letting us see what all of these could look like together - no worries!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:12 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^That's kind of a neat view of 500 West 2nd. And it looks like the Fairmont Hotel's spire will stick up there a good bit above Northshore. And again, our tree canopy looks great in this one.
I agree! I'm always amazed when I see just how many trees Austin actually has.

This is a great shot, Urbanizer! It makes Austin seem so much bigger than it is...but it's also so much bigger than I want to admit. I still think of it as having 400-500K.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:45 AM
Meh

I remember thinking back after the 1990 census that wow, we have 465,000 people now. Austin had around 345,000 the year I was born. I was born in San Antonio, and Austin is bigger now than San Antonio was the year I was born. It's even bigger now than San Antonio was in 1990 and more than twice the size Austin was that year. That blows my mind a little.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Yup. Google says Austin had about 450k when I was born, and now over double the size! Certainly is crazy.

One thing that picture does show is just how many white/off white/blue glass buildings we have. It's starting to look like Vancouver...just not necessarily in a good way. Vastly different styles of buildings is what makes cities like Chicago and NYC have such great skylines IMO, so I'm worried that all of Austin's growth is going to happen all at once, and we're going to be stuck with a bunch of buildings that look the exact same

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Yup. Google says Austin had about 450k when I was born, and now over double the size! Certainly is crazy.

One thing that picture does show is just how many white/off white/blue glass buildings we have. It's starting to look like Vancouver...just not necessarily in a good way. Vastly different styles of buildings is what makes cities like Chicago and NYC have such great skylines IMO, so I'm worried that all of Austin's growth is going to happen all at once, and we're going to be stuck with a bunch of buildings that look the exact same
I agree. We could use a tall dark sleek highrise. As of yet we only have the BoA to really add true contrast to the skyline. The 2 other dark buildings don't have much value add. And I agree with drummer that the above shot does inflate the density on downtown and always will, but its my favorite view of the city. I notice that a lot of cities have a best side. Austin's least side is when viewed from the north.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I agree. We could use a tall dark sleek highrise. As of yet we only have the BoA to really add true contrast to the skyline. The 2 other dark buildings don't have much value add. And I agree with drummer that the above shot does inflate the density on downtown and always will, but its my favorite view of the city. I notice that a lot of cities have a best side. Austin's least side is when viewed from the north.
Is there a non-design related reason as to why no buildings are built with black-tinted glass any more? I mean there's the BoA building here in Austin, but also buildings like the Willis Tower and John Hancock Center. Builders can still use large windows like they've been doing for places like the Fairmont, but is there a real reason why everything is just blue now? Is it efficiency, or some other reason? Or is it just because "black buildings look ugly, etc".

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:17 PM
Voice of the Modern World

I graduated college in 2010. If ATX keeps going at the pace it has been going then by 2020 there would be 1 out of every 3 people in Austin metro in 2020 that didn't exist in Metro Austin in 2010....that's just 10 years guys....

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Dark would be good, but I wouldn't mind seeing some vibrant, non-neutral colors. That would stand out and mix things up a bit. I mean, it's a skyline, not a house I'm trying to sell.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
This is admittedly from a different angle (see Frost vs 360 Condos) however it's as close as I could find for comparison purposes.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:30 PM

Only two....TWO notable buildings visible in the bottom photo were there when I got here in 1982, the Chase Bldg, which was bronze at the time, and the former Sheraton Crest. And even in the top photo, only the Chase and BoA buildings were there, if you can imagine that picture with only those two towers sticking up above the trees from that vantage point. A great way to see what it looked like then would be to watch Outlaw Blues. The cop cars were baby blue and white. Lots of chase scenes downtown.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:12 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
This is admittedly from a different angle (see Frost vs 360 Condos) however it's as close as I could find for comparison purposes.

That's insane.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:26 AM

https://youtu.be/dCAddaUPnO8
You can scroll to the DT parts or watch the whole movie.
If you want to get to the Austin scenes, go to 19 minutes in and skip around, at 1:25:53 you'll see an incredibly empty skyline except for BoA and Chase. And don't miss the boat chase at 1:33:00 that ends with the awesome boat over the dam scene. Sorry for being waaaaay off topic.

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 7, 2017 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:

I'd like to see this angle from 2003-2004...before Frost...hell 2007-2008 before 360, W, Austonian, etc. went up.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 5:22 AM
Keep It Weird

Quote:

Driving over the Mopac bridge yesterday I realized Big I will be insane from that view! Just a jewel!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:08 AM

The crane should be raised this weekend which means the crane pieces should be on site. I work only a couple blocks away from the site, but I didn't bother to see if the crane pieces were on site. An FAA filing was made this week indicating that the crane will be 748' tall:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...988687&row=167

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The crane should be raised this weekend which means the crane pieces should be on site. I work only a couple blocks away from the site, but I didn't bother to see if the crane pieces were on site. An FAA filing was made this week indicating that the crane will be 748' tall:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...988687&row=167
Yep, they are raising the crane today.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:30 AM
Joenaustex

May 10-11 Crane Before Crane After

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 3:43 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin