HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 7:33 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Man I'm pumped for the reveal.
Glad to see they are referring to a "Downtown" arena.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:02 PM

Playing around with Google Earth. Yellow is mixed use, orange is hotel, blue is lrt station, grey is parkade, and red is public buildings. The stadium sits where GSL currently sits, arena at Greyhound, and a new Glenbow museum at Renfrew. A new museum would allow the current site to be remodeled as convention space.

Also redesigned Crowchild and Bow for fun.

Just my fantasy. all pics are mine.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:57 PM

Kev 427, you should be in charge - great job, especially the Crowchild disaster. Whoever designed that originally should be shot.

It would be amazing if they build something like this:

Does anyone think it would save any money to have arena and stadium under one roof? That is of course, if they're planning on a stadium too....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Kev 427, you should be in charge - great job, especially the Crowchild disaster. Whoever designed that originally should be shot.
can't wait for the NIMBYs to come out again when that interchange finally gets fixed.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:20 PM

I still want Bow Trail underground as much as possible. The ground has to all be dug up anyway.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:24 PM

I really hope is both a football and hockey stadium in the CENTRE of the city, that would be wicked to see finally happen...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:58 PM

Rumour has it* it's going to be next to the South Health Campus. Cheap land and expensive parking!

*all rumours started by me

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:38 PM
Traditional Ale User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Rumour has it* it's going to be next to the South Health Campus. Cheap land and expensive parking!

*all rumours started by me
The one thing we know for sure is that its definately going to be downtown. This is one thing King made sure to confirm today

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:47 PM
Community Guy

You guys should resurrect Edmonton's 'Omniplex' design.

(http://citymuseumedmonton.ca)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:47 PM

So apparently we are a few weeks away from a reveal of the Flames plans for the new barn, I feel like I have heard this a couple times before haha.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 12:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
It would be amazing if they build something like this:
Couldn't work that (easily) into either of the potential downtown locations. Would quite easily work at Firepark, but as you know, latest info all point to downtown.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitWhat? View Post
This is good news:

Quote:
“Before any of your listeners have conniptions, when you see our project, people are just going to love it. And we’re not going to sneak in here and steal money from the city,” King told the radio hosts.
Reading between the lines, looks like ownership won't be getting a dime to pay for the arena and they know it, but instead looking for land and public money on surrounding public amenities such as a field-house. Seems like a fair pitch. They can't really sell us on "revitalization" as we currently have by far the most of revitalization going on across the entire inner-city for a city our size in NA.

Quote:
He refused to elaborate on what he deems public benefit. King has said he’ll pitch an “extremely ambitious” project and has hinted it will offer more than an arena, to give it wider appeal. The rumour mill has brimmed with ideas such as an amateur sports field house and a new Stampeders football stadium.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 4:24 PM
City of Blinding Lights

If only we still had an insider from the mayor's office to give us perspective on the proposal!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 7:03 PM
BANNED

I wonder if this is connected to the lobbying Bettman and King were doing with the Premier at the Jewish community event late January? Any bets on the rules around accessing the new dollars include provisions for sports and entertainment facilities? Let's see - but depending what it is, that "look in the mirror" comment could have been foreshadowing in addition to 20/20 hindsight!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...400m-1.2984539

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 7:07 PM

The city can spend untied grant money on the arena if it wants. It is the city's call. True under Redford too.

The province refused to create extra special net new money for arenas, just as the province refused to create extra special net new money for the airport tunnel.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The city can spend untied grant money on the arena if it wants. It is the city's call. True under Redford too.

The province refused to create extra special net new money for arenas, just as the province refused to create extra special net new money for the airport tunnel.
Fair enough. I'm sure it will all look very clean at the end of the day. Handshakes aren't recorded.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:22 PM
Moran supreme

Downtown and it is still rumoured to be a multi-use facility. Hmm, the lands north of Stampede Park still look promising - throw in the field house that people have been fundraising for and trying to get built in Calgary plus have the Flames pay to have the existing bus barns moved to some vacant city owned land to the SW of the Crossroads Market and voila. Everything will fit, both a new stadium and arena placed there will be within easy walking distance to all LRT lines plus the SELRT will go right by this location.

Please note that this is someone else's marked up picture from these forums.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:35 PM
BANNED

Heard from a PDA worker awhile ago that the lands north of Stampede grounds are still in play. Not sure how reliable their sources were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Downtown and it is still rumoured to be a multi-use facility. Hmm, the lands north of Stampede Park still look promising - throw in the field house that people have been fundraising for and trying to get built in Calgary plus have the Flames pay to have the existing bus barns moved to some vacant city owned land to the SW of the Crossroads Market and voila. Everything will fit, both a new stadium and arena placed there will be within easy walking distance to all LRT lines plus the SELRT will go right by this location.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:48 PM
Moran supreme

Better yet, if it's an outdoor stadium then the field is situated N-S which is preferable for most football fields in Canada - reduces the negative effects of a setting sun on the playing field. Situating a football field in the west side with a N-S orientation would be very difficult.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:07 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
So apparently we are a few weeks away from a reveal of the Flames plans for the new barn, I feel like I have heard this a couple times before haha.
So Brad Lamb will be making the announcement?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates