HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 11:12 PM

Grouse Mountain - the Peak of Vancouver

GROUSE MOUNTAIN, NORTH VANCOUVER
- total height: 1,231 m (4,039 ft)
- 365 m (skiable)
- base elevation: 274 m
- runs: 24 (13 night skiing), 17% beginner, 54% intermediate, 21% advanced, 8% expert
- 2 chairlifts, 2 ropes, 1 magic carpet

Pictures from FLICKR.

Looking south towards the Vancouver Westside, from Grouse Mountain, there is a copper sheen on the water as the sun sets. Ships queue, waiting to make their way under the Lions Gate Bridge and unload their cargo. Grouse Mountain is about a 20 minute drive from downtown Vancouver across the Lions Gate Bridge. Night views of the City and the Grouse Nest Restaurant are fantastic, even for those that don't ski. Cypress & Mt. Seymour are nearby & Whistler is about 70 km to the north of Grouse, via the Sea to Sky Hwy.

In 1949, the first double chairlift in Greater Vancouver opened, allowing skiing down the Cut from the top of the ridge. Grouse Mountain claims this lift to have been the "world's first"; several other ski areas dispute this. In 1951, another lift – presumably one of the world's longest at the time – was opened.

The ice skating pond near the lodge

From the peak of Grouse Mountain, you can see the lodge below on the left bottom corner. And below, is Vancouver covered in fog.

Near the lodge at the top of the mountain, there is a Grizzly Bear and Grey Wolf exhibit. Don't worry, they've never escaped....unless the electric fences go out - Jurassic Park all over again...These bears were originally rescued orphan cubs that could not be send back into the wild.

Like the bears, the wolves were also found as orphans without their parents. They would not have survived in the wild.

Capilano Suspension Bridge at the base of the mountain. 450 ft. across, 230 ft. above Lynn Canyon.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:43 AM

Great photos mr.X2. I didn't know anything about the orphaned Bears and Wolves.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:09 PM

^I though last year the bears killed some of the wolves?
Are they now in separate enclosures?

Reminds me that I got to start doing the grind again.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
^I though last year the bears killed some of the wolves?
Are they now in separate enclosures?

Reminds me that I got to start doing the grind again.
whoever decided to put the bear and wolves in the same enclosure should be shot....that's the most stupid decision ever, and that incident was bound to happen (10 days later).

according to an article i read, they were trying to replicate what European zoos did by putting in black bears with wolves in the same pen. But our bears are different, they're GRIZZLIES....putting two hunters together is just asking for a disaster.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos