HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 6:13 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Winnipeg's Skywalk system, although not quite as extensive, suffers from this as well. Back in the 70s the city closed down Portage & Main to pedestrian traffic with the specific intent of driving pedestrians underground and into the enclosed environment. In fact, it was one of the demands of the developer when they constructed one of the major skyscrapers on the corner. The official line is safety and traffic flow, but opening that corner to pedestrians would likely bring a lawsuit from the landlord.
I hate that intersection so much when I am in Winnipeg. As I would rather be outside enjoying myself than walking through the underground section. I will actually walk a block out of my way to cross instead of going underneath.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:16 PM

I'm not familiar with what Chicago did, but from my past experience living in Vancouver I'd say you can have your cake and eat it too.

Much of the public space in the false creek area (Yaletown etc...) was paid for by Concord and other developers in exchange for density allowments and other concessions. The city assisted (or mandated) the design, but from what I understand much of the funding was borne by the developers. Of course the costs eventually get passed off to the consumer in the form of higher unit prices, and the city in lower land prices, but it is a way to find a common ground between wholesale land dumps to developers, and expensive city beautification programs.

The end result in Vancouver was a cohesive, walkable, albeit somewhat homogenic neighbourhood, at a minimal cost to the city and great benefit to its citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
I remember somebody on this board bringing up the same effect PATH has in Toronto. It keeps a lot of the hustle and bustle that would going on outside on the street trapped, and hidden.

They should close Plus 15 down in the summer? force people outside. But i'll admit I'm not terribly familiar with this system though, is it strictly just walk-ways or are there shops and services integrated within them also?
That's the reason Vancouver actively discourages underground pathways, hence the city is left with a fragmented system of disconnected concourse levels. It is definitely a positive in the summer, but there are some rainy winter days where I just remember cursing the decision as I ran across the road trying futilely to shelter myself from the rain with a soggy newspaper.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:29 PM
gettin' rich!

Oh I read this article about a week ago.. fantastic...

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...ngry-landlords

Millionaire' tenant leaves trail of angry landlords

The self-described financial guru lists his first name as “Goodgracious” in public records and has the letters “GG” branded (not tattooed) into his right arm. But he said in an interview that his birth name is Tovarance Mensah.

On the websites for 144fx, Joseph refers to himself as “the world’s foremost financial shaman and currency money king. I am just like a bridge over troubled water for bankers, traders, and analysts everywhere. I am a friend to the lost souls. A teacher. A leader. A mystic. Basically, a man of the future, and a master of reality. Let me guide you. Let me show you the way.”

His Toronto landlords say he boasted of his wealth and business affiliations with music stars Beyoncé and Jay-Z, all while passing bad cheques, filling his units with furniture he picked from the garbage and driving a beat-up Mazda pick-up truck rather than Lamborghinis or Range Rovers.

Ontario corporate registration documents show “Goodgracious (Jordan) Joseph” is the 38-year-old president of Maxum Marketing, a holding company involved in investments and acquisitions. It was registered in February.

Joseph’s rental application for Kerkez’s house last month claims his income is $18,000 a month. He listed his automobile as a 2004 Bentley GT.

“Those cars (in the online videos) are all mine,” Joseph says, citing six luxury vehicles currently in California. “My income comes from a variety of sources. During the financial crisis I sold the hell out of the British pound and the Euro. I made money.”

Joseph has also registered as a principal in a new Ontario corporation called BFX Positive Inc. which he says will be “acquiring small foreign exchange outfits in Toronto.”

To prospective landlords in Toronto, Joseph’s financial pedigree made him the perfect tenant.

In August 2010, he responded to a Craigslist ad and moved his family into a two-bedroom Little Italy unit above retail shops on a short-term sublet agreement, says the landlord, who asked not to be identified fearing repercussions from her own landlord.

The woman says Joseph spoke of his California mansion and wealth when he rented her place.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...ngry-landlords

This fools website

144fx.com

Youtube page

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 1:05 PM
gettin' rich!

COMMERCIAL PROPERTY
For rent: Office w/gr8 views, lots of light, green amenities

There was a time when sufficient square footage, a floor plan and the right price was enough to secure a great tenant. But the way commercial buildings are being marketed is changing dramatically. Today, it's all about the employee.

“How's the staff going to feel working here? What's the quality of the light like? Where is my staff going to go for their workouts? Where’s the nearest parking lot? Where's the nearest green space?” said David Allison, author of Branding Buildings Better and co-founder of the Vancouver marketing firm Braun/Allison Inc.

Mr. Allison works primarily in residential and recreational real estate, where quality of life and amenities have been a focus for 20 years. But in recent years Braun/Allison has started working on commercial projects and applying marketing methods from the residential world.

“The idea is, there's a lot of good, smart thinking that's been going on for a couple of decades now. Why are we reinventing the wheel? Let's use it.”

For landlords, the goal is “a building people don't want to leave. They renew their lease, they're willing to pay a little bit extra. When the leases expire, there's a waiting list in the best of all possible worlds because you've got the cool building.”

One of Braun/Allison's projects, Sun Tower in Vancouver, is a heritage building that's being rebranded as Creative Commons. The building's website proclaims, “This is not office space, this is creative space,” and emphasizes the building's architecture, its onsite fitness centre, the neighbourhood's cuisine and entertainment options.

“What we're trying to do is tell people this is a particularly awesome building in a great location, and if you consider yourselves to be creative thinkers – whether it's a creative law firm, photographer or government agency – then this is going to be a creative hub for Vancouver,” said Mr. Allison.

“It's not just about a name and a logo, it's about establishing our brand. It's a great example of how you can take a commercial building and use some of the rules for residential and tell great stories and help people understand why [relocating here] is a good decision.”

Employees are also a driving factor behind the incorporation of environmentally sustainable features into new buildings, said Mark Fieder, president and managing director for Avison Young's Ontario division.

“You will never see a new building built in Toronto that is not in some way LEED certified,” said Mr. Fieder. “It's a branding issue – clients want to see their suppliers are doing the right things within the environmental side of the business. And human resources is driving it, I'd say more than anything, because this is what employees want.”

“If you want to attract the best talent, you have to get on board with these concepts.”

Landlords have been making substantial investments in older buildings in Toronto's downtown financial district as they attempt to upgrade their properties to compete in this new green landscape, Mr. Fieder said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1998082/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:41 PM
gettin' rich!

Picture of the NPS revitalization and ongoing construction from Jasonzed at UT

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 12:59 AM
gettin' rich!

Looks like work is beginning on some massive UFC store at Yonge and Dundas. Also appears to me they are installing huge billboards with LED/Electronics Signage which seems to cantileever over Yonge Street. I didn't get close enough to inspect it, but it also coinsided with a street party they were having in the square.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 5:36 PM
gettin' rich!

I just went through North York Centre. That place is getting crazy busy. Forsure even though it is smaller than Misssauga the foot traffic there is 1000 times greater. I can see why visitor here not familiar with Toronto could sones confuse this place with downtown Toronto. It's also so massive albeit centred on one street for 4 miles covered on high-rises.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 3:21 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I just went through North York Centre. That place is getting crazy busy. Forsure even though it is smaller than Misssauga the foot traffic there is 1000 times greater. I can see why visitor here not familiar with Toronto could sones confuse this place with downtown Toronto. It's also so massive albeit centred on one street for 4 miles covered on high-rises.
What on earth would ever draw a visitor up to North York Centre? Unles they're from the Pyongyang School of Architecture or playing the 'How many Tim Horton's can you spot in 10 blocks?' game, why would anybody even recommend that they go there?

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 3:49 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Looks like work is beginning on some massive UFC store at Yonge and Dundas. Also appears to me they are installing huge billboards with LED/Electronics Signage which seems to cantileever over Yonge Street. I didn't get close enough to inspect it, but it also coinsided with a street party they were having in the square.
Gee, and here I thought that Ad-Nauseum Square couldn't get any tackier! And let me guess: It was an alcohol-free street party? Rock on Toronto lol!

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 3:57 AM
Vancouverite

^^ I don't get how you're so Anti-Toronto.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:24 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
^^ I don't get how you're so Anti-Toronto.
Have you ever been to North York Centre or Dundas Square? Would you recommend that a foreign visitor (that you like) go to either place? If so, why?

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:46 AM
gettin' rich!

Because people from the United States use the 401 highway when they come into Toronto not knowing the city but knowing the main street (yonge) come straight into North York centre and could be unwittingly fooled into believing they were somewhere near the main core of the city.

Anyways guy instead of being useless ( and I don't wanna make any assumptions here) why don't you contribute something positive to this thread which was my intention instead of your negative drivel.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Because people from the United States use the 401 highway when they come into Toronto not knowing the city but knowing the main street (yonge) come straight into North York centre and could be unwittingly fooled into believing they were somewhere near the main core of the city.
Hahaha I believe it. I remember my mom telling me once about how she overheard some American tourists lament how downtown Vancouver reminded them of Seaworld. They were standing outside of the dolphin fountains in front of Metrotown lol.

I think for most American cities, the idea of high rise clusters outside of downtown is still quite foreign. Just look at Philadelphia, Chicago, San Diego etc. Toronto and to a lesser extent Vancouver have an absolute absurd number of towers in the suburbs compared to their American counterparts, so you can't really blame the ignorant tourists.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 6:49 PM

^The same could be said for all the other major Canadian cities population-wise, from Halifax to Montreal.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 6:50 PM
Community Guy

Great little video on the 'comfort of cities'

http://www.guggenheim.org/guggenheim...bmw-guggenheim

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 8:53 PM

Montreal has a ton of high-rise clusters, they're just not tall enough to be seen from anywhere.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 11:05 PM
gettin' rich!

On top of the non descript high-rises in North York Centre there is also quite a bit off pedestrian foot traffic now which adds to the city centre feeling from Yonge and the 401 all the way up to Steeles almost 3 miles of suburban downtown core.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 3:14 AM
gettin' rich!

New LED signage at the new UFC store at Yonge and Dundas

By me

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 5:12 PM
gettin' rich!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2019708/

Taking stock of changing streetscapes

Quote:
10:30 a.m. St. James Park/St. Lawrence Market: En route to St. Lawrence Market, my wife and I admire the symmetrical “Nineteenth Century Gardens”– presented to the city by the Garden Club of Toronto in 1980 – as we discuss the incredible similarities between our landmark (1803) and Philadelphia’s Reading Terminal Market (established 1893). Once inside, we’re struck by how diverse the selection has become: I can buy a leather fedora, a choice cut of meat or a Paua shell from New Zealand. We note that much of the signage seems bigger and more colourful, and that those fantastic, old square stools surrounding the staircase will be completely full by lunchtime. When I come back to grab a sandwich from Mustachio’s two hours later, they are.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 12:09 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Follow up to my previous post - one of the reasons for choosing toronto to be the second most successful city in the world was our "sktscraper construction"..

Let's keep 'em coming.

When I saw this post I though of a particular forumer here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada