HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 7:56 AM

NASA gives OK for design of super-quiet supersonic experimental airplane

Quote:
By ALAN BOYLE,
GEEKWIRE
Updated 3:07 pm, Tuesday, June 27, 2017
This story originally appeared on GeekWire.

NASA says it's cleared a significant milestone on the path to reviving supersonic passenger jet travel in the U.S. with the completion of the preliminary design review for its low-boom experimental airplane.

The Low-Boom Flight Demonstration X-plane, or LBFD, is designed to create a soft "thump" rather than the loud sonic boom typically associated with supersonic airplanes. The boom is what led federal authorities to ban supersonic passenger flight over land in 1973.

The initial design stage for the LBFD is known as Quiet Supersonic Technology, or QueSST. NASA's plan, drawn up with Lockheed Martin as the lead contractor, calls for transforming QueSST into the LBFD and flying the plane over communities to collect the data that regulators would need to ease the ban . . . .

(This is a single pilot test version, not the ultimate passenger-carrying version)

http://www.sfgate.com/video/news/art...photo-13157817

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:48 PM

The problem with this idea is the same problem that killed the Concorde. It take a lot of extra power to achieve and maintain supersonic flight and gas is expensive. For now I think a business jet is the only commercially viable application for this technology.

Last edited by Parkway; Jun 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:59 PM

^^To quote a bit more from the article:

Quote:
. . . commercial ventures such as Boom Aerospace, Spike Aerospace and Aerion are moving ahead with their own plans to test supersonic planes. At the Paris Air Show, Boom announced that it had 76 orders for supersonic planes from five airlines, and that it planned to fly a demonstrator aircraft late next year . . . .
Seems like there's a market. As I recall, the Concordes usually filled their seats with business and well-healed travellers. But in the US market, anyway, they were largely restricted to trans-Atlantic flight where their sonic boom was over the ocean and they could land in more welcoming (because it was European flag carriers flying them) European airports. If the boom is substantially mitigated, things could be different.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:00 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I love how pessimists think that stupid rich people won't ever pay for novelty... Uh, hello! That's how most of the modern American economy has been built for 40 years... Whether I'll ever get to ride in one is up for debate but in the name of technology and progress, kudos! Welcome, Tomorrowland!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 1:07 PM

It's an experimental design, let's wait until it has passed before discussing whether to put new SSTs based upon it into commercial service. It might fail....

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
I love how pessimists think that stupid rich people won't ever pay for novelty... Uh, hello! That's how most of the modern American economy has been built for 40 years... Whether I'll ever get to ride in one is up for debate but in the name of technology and progress, kudos! Welcome, Tomorrowland!
I totally agree. The well-healed will go out of their way to pay more just so they don't have to mingle with the plebeians. Saying there is no market is like saying their is no market for high end cars or sports cars like Porsche.......they are status symbols for those who want to prove to others that "they've made it".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation