HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:32 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
The cladding and detailing had better be drop-dead gorgeous, because that just looks like some stacked boxes to me.
I disagree. The setbacks are rounded off...which I really like. Everything nowadays has very sharp angles. I like the idea of softening it up a little.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:41 PM
New Yorker for life

I still need to see other renderings. I've seen more renderings of towers that aren't getting built in the city. They need to release more.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:11 PM

I agree, need more renderings, different perspectives of the massing of this building. The wow factor could be in the details, and certainly the quality of materials is important (which I expect to be high given its location and the type of clientele it it expected to attract). The top/crown needs to be something special, and definitely not a bland flat top.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:32 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

At the moment, I'm a bit disapointed with the design. The colors are nice, and the curves at the base look nice, but it's hard to tell if the rounded corners continue up the tower in the current render. Curves and blocks don't play well together.

I'm a bit startled at how close my guess at the massing was.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:33 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
The top/crown needs to be something special, and definitely not a bland flat top.
The rendering seems to generally fit the diagram on Portzamparc's website. I really hope there is more to this tower than this.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:36 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Certainly does.

Barnett says this tower is a "gift" to the city, and indeed it is, getting built at a time when many towers around the city and the world are on hold or canceled outright. But will it get the same level of love Gehry's Beekman tower gets? Remains to be seen at this point. But more renderings are needed because a lot is determined through them. For example, a couple below. One set this board on fire with praise, the other, a lot of criticism and uncertainty.

__

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:53 PM

reminds me of a 21st century-double-height Downtown Athletic Club. It's just one rendering, but I have no complaints.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:58 PM
Show me the blueprints

The glass treatment at the base seems to be directly inspired by Portzamparc's Hotel Renaissance in Paris:

Also has a hint of Helmut Jahn's 1987 Citigroup Center in Chicago:

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:59 PM

Wow I love the idea with the rounded setbacks. So far so good. I need to see more renderings! Can't wait!

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:04 PM

I like it, the pinstripe look is interesting and will make it appear taller. It's not as "wow" as Tower Verre but the bulk and height will make up for it.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:05 PM
Height Hound

Unfortunately, I only had a quick view of the blueprints...just enough to get the exact height. From what I saw, the top will be rounded like a half circle. I don't know if it will come to a point or not, since I saw the elevation from only one direction.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone View Post
Unfortunately, I only had a quick view of the blueprints...just enough to get the exact height. From what I saw, the top will be rounded like a half circle.
Well, that's more than we get from the rendering. I'm sure others will be released.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Gotta say I think we were all hoping for, or at least expecting a chrystaline shard of some kind. Now Im really jonesing for a north face rendering. Right now, I'm feeling a little uneasy about this design.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 5:09 PM
Ω

^ I'm going to wait for a few more renderings before I judge

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 5:16 PM

I love it. Plain, no excesses, but very imposing and vertical, very New York.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The rendering seems to generally fit the diagram on Portzamparc's website. I really hope there is more to this tower than this.
If you look at the first viewer-facing setback to the left it seems to have the same rounded-angle setback of the first two at the base. To me, the first major viewer-facing setback to the *right* shows an angled shadow, perhaps implying that it'll be more of a curving angle than a simple vertical gradation.
Yes, the rendering is quite tempting in that the perspective deliberately seems to hide details that might otherwise make this a diamond amongst cubic zircs.

Also,I would opine that the silhouette on the website shows precisely what we're seeing in the render.
FOr instance, notice that the setbacks on the absolute right hand side of the rendering are straight, exactly as is shown in the silhouette. The silhouette doesn't reflect the angled setbacks that face the viewer.
Both the sketchup and the website design IMO are *big* teases. I just wish that the wavy aspect of the lower facade would have continued all the way upward...but then again, there're three other sides to consider.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Hmmm, I've been reading the comments here, as I try to wrap my own head around the design. When the Tower Verre was released, we got a view of it from a similar angle, and that worked in favor of the tower due to its shape. This tower seems to be much bulkier than I thought it would be (particularly for a residential), so that angle won't work as well in its favor. One thing that hits me is it's not the "unusual" building Barnett made it out to be. In fact, it looks very much like a New York skyscraper, a classic 30's tower. What I need to see is the building as a whole, and how it fits into the rest of the skyline. Overall though, I'd say it's a solid 1,000 footer...
Bingo, that's what I was thinking too! Sort of a futuristic/art-deco like design. I honestly don't think it's THAT bad, I kind of like it...and it's only one render. The facade looks like it has potential to be pretty amazing.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 6:34 PM

I agree with NYguy. To me, this tower has more of a classic New York look than Tower Verre, which is billed as the epitome of Hugh Ferris massing studies. It seamlessly combines Art Deco massing and verticality motifs with the boxiness and coroprate look of mid-20th century towers, both of which are trademark New York skyscraper styles.

Besides, it will pack one helluva punch on the skyline.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 7:07 PM

At first i was like ehhh, but later on after couple of more looks im starting to like it just a bit, we just need more different views of this tower

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive