HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 3:58 PM

Tell you what, the city council is trying to market something in Tuscaloosa to keep the visitors coming year round, not just during football season. They could take the brewing companies and market the shit out if those. It has a great selection of craft beers, great food, and a fun atmosphere. With that new proposed entertainment district with lively music, they need to market them as a "can't miss" thing in Tuscaloosa. There was a huge group of people I met from Madison, Wisconsin at the Druid City Brewery and they said it was one of the best beers they had ever tried. Make it out as a thing that if you visit Tuscaloosa, you have to try the beer. Every city needs a main point, this could be one of things.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 3:11 PM

Still so many ugly open spots on university blvd. Jupiter Bar on the strip closed btw. Why has there been no action to fill these spots. The Strip is our main nightlife district.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 6:16 AM

There appears to be a turning lane being built on the right side of Hargrove heading south. It is so short, probably a couple hundred yards, it wont do much good. Seems I read there would be more work on Hargrove below Skyland, probably wishful thinking! Have also heard that Publix may be looking at the land across Skyland from the new Walmart store. Hard to believe but would be great! Please comment if you have any information!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Roberts View Post
There appears to be a turning lane being built on the right side of Hargrove heading south. It is so short, probably a couple hundred yards, it wont do much good. Seems I read there would be more work on Hargrove below Skyland, probably wishful thinking! Have also heard that Publix may be looking at the land across Skyland from the new Walmart store. Hard to believe but would be great! Please comment if you have any information!
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 8:03 PM

Some things:

US 82 bypass has been completed and can now be used.

Deconstruction of the buildings on the corner of Greensboro and University Blvd has begun. Once complete, the construction of the two-story building with retail, apartments, and restaurants will begin. Here's a drawn out proposal

The new Cadence bank on University Blvd is almost complete.

New bank on Greensboro is looking good and almost complete

The new Baumhowers on Skyland looks nice is will open soon this month. Once opened, the original next tp the Hampton will be closed and demolished to build a brand new one. Baumhower is also looking to open a 3rd one. I talked to I e of the guys who runs the one near the Hampton and says he's looking at McFarland Blvd.

Texas Roadhouse on McFarland is near completion and construction for the ALDI next to it will begin soon.

Shops at Legacy Park looks nice. Fresh market will be the first to open the 12ty I believe. New roads going to the new shopping center have been opened.

Some other news outside of development, Tuscaloosa is having a beer and bacon fest on August 29th. Tickets are $45 for VIP, $35 for regular tickets, and $10 for designated drivers. Then there is some giant water slide thing coming. Already has over 1000 people that have bought the tickets. Not sure what the date is.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 9:45 PM

This would be huge! I hope it gets approved, but force the price range to be lowered from $250 to $150-180. Also would add great development to the River Market, the first 5-star hotel in Tuscaloosa, and be 6-stories high. I hope this gets approved.

Tuscaloosa may get first 5-star hotel.

Last edited by TheCapstone; Aug 9, 2015 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 4:40 PM

New YMCA downtown breaking ground

New YMCA on Bryant drive

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 8:36 PM

Thumbs up Thank you for the welcome Capstone!

Recently moved back here from Leesburg, VA, (Loudoun County) which is the fastest growing county in the country. So much progress has been made here since I left AL in 2003 but still a long ways to go! I've been "trolling" this site for a couple of years and decided to sign up since I'm living here now! I do love the website!

BTW, there is a sign on Hargrove across from the elementary school advertising a development called Beacon Hill. Know anything about it?

The new signage with the clocks downtown is really nice. Nothing like that in Loudoun Co.!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Still so many ugly open spots on university blvd. Jupiter Bar on the strip closed btw. Why has there been no action to fill these spots. The Strip is our main nightlife district.
Thanks for keeping this forum going Capstone. I've been a long time lurker and have followed this forum along with a few others in the state for a couple of years now. As far as university blvd is concerned, I think they are really pushing to make it a more family friendly street. I don't agree with that line of thinking because when I was in school only 10 years ago the Strip was always a fun place to be especially with it being so close to campus. I think Jupiter Bar is just too big and outdated. I would like to see them bulldoze the the place and possible build two new bars, but seeing what they've done to the strip since I've left I can't imagine they would be bars.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
Thanks for keeping this forum going Capstone. I've been a long time lurker and have followed this forum along with a few others in the state for a couple of years now. As far as university blvd is concerned, I think they are really pushing to make it a more family friendly street. I don't agree with that line of thinking because when I was in school only 10 years ago the Strip was always a fun place to be especially with it being so close to campus. I think Jupiter Bar is just too big and outdated. I would like to see them bulldoze the the place and possible build two new bars, but seeing what they've done to the strip since I've left I can't imagine they would be bars.
You're most welcome Chad. I, like many other users on this forum, have been interested in city development and planning since I was little. Tuscaloosa has been my home for nearly 10 years now and I absolutely love the direction it has headed. The downtown has done a complete 360 from, lets say, 5-6 years ago. Its more lively, the music scene has boomed, and the overall nightlife experience has increased. Tuscaloosa is awesome city! So I try my best to keep everyone updated while also sharing my personal opinions on what should happen.

I'll be going to the city council here soon to discuss some topics. Jupiter Bar was one of my favorite bars when I was in college because it gave local musicians a chance to grow. Plenty of big jam bands came through early on in the 90s at the Jupiter Bar. So I'd like to see what what their plans are to replace it, and if they are going to renovate it. Also, University is definitely booming right now, but there are some ugly vacant spots. I said a TGI Friday's would be nice to fill for the vacant spot. Also if another entertainment district will be put into consideration in front of the Goverment's plaza since they've hosted a lot of events there lately. Downtown parking must improve also. Lastly, when is the old McFarland Mall going to be finally demolished to make way for the 5-6 new retail stores to fill it? Lots of great stuff happening in Tuscaloosa, but still lots of needs.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Roberts View Post
Recently moved back here from Leesburg, VA, (Loudoun County) which is the fastest growing county in the country. So much progress has been made here since I left AL in 2003 but still a long ways to go! I've been "trolling" this site for a couple of years and decided to sign up since I'm living here now! I do love the website!

BTW, there is a sign on Hargrove across from the elementary school advertising a development called Beacon Hill. Know anything about it?

The new signage with the clocks downtown is really nice. Nothing like that in Loudoun Co.!

Hmm, I have no idea. Welcome to the Forum though!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:17 PM

The Fresh Market for the Shops at Legacy Center is set to open Wednesday. Tuscaloosa News posted some new pics of the development:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
You're most welcome Chad. I, like many other users on this forum, have been interested in city development and planning since I was little. Tuscaloosa has been my home for nearly 10 years now and I absolutely love the direction it has headed. The downtown has done a complete 360 from, lets say, 5-6 years ago. Its more lively, the music scene has boomed, and the overall nightlife experience has increased. Tuscaloosa is awesome city! So I try my best to keep everyone updated while also sharing my personal opinions on what should happen.

I'll be going to the city council here soon to discuss some topics. Jupiter Bar was one of my favorite bars when I was in college because it gave local musicians a chance to grow. Plenty of big jam bands came through early on in the 90s at the Jupiter Bar. So I'd like to see what what their plans are to replace it, and if they are going to renovate it. Also, University is definitely booming right now, but there are some ugly vacant spots. I said a TGI Friday's would be nice to fill for the vacant spot. Also if another entertainment district will be put into consideration in front of the Goverment's plaza since they've hosted a lot of events there lately. Downtown parking must improve also. Lastly, when is the old McFarland Mall going to be finally demolished to make way for the 5-6 new retail stores to fill it? Lots of great stuff happening in Tuscaloosa, but still lots of needs.
It's a shame Tuscaloosa doesn't get the recognition that Auburn is getting. I don't understand it, I feel like there is much more to do in Ttown and it doesn't even compare culturally. A vibrant downtown is essential for any city to thrive and I'm happy that Tuscaloosa has brought in so much business down there. I'm amazed at the growth and changes of the town everytime I visit, unfortunately I usually only make it about once per year. I wish we had an amphitheater when I was in school. We had to rely on Sister Hazel and Kenny Chesney to keep us entertained musically a few times per year.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
It's a shame Tuscaloosa doesn't get the recognition that Auburn is getting. I don't understand it, I feel like there is much more to do in Ttown and it doesn't even compare culturally. A vibrant downtown is essential for any city to thrive and I'm happy that Tuscaloosa has brought in so much business down there. I'm amazed at the growth and changes of the town everytime I visit, unfortunately I usually only make it about once per year. I wish we had an amphitheater when I was in school. We had to rely on Sister Hazel and Kenny Chesney to keep us entertained musically a few times per year.
I've felt that way too, but don't get me wrong, Auburn has made a tremendous amount of progress the past few years and has a beautiful scenic downtown. Tuscaloosa has done a great job at revitalizing the downtown, boosting the music scene, and recovering from the tornado. What makes Auburn unique is that their downtown and university are connected, making downtown vibrant. Also what Auburn has going for them is golf. Their course is literally one of the best in the nation. Both cities have done a great job of over the years. Tuscaloosa is still booming too though, so I wish it would get more recognition.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:19 PM

First Shop ready for Tuscaloosa's downtown Rock Point Project

Can't wait for this to get started. It's going to be really nice for downtown

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:56 PM

The city council voted 5-1 on the 5-star hotel. The Atlanta based hotel will have to get the approval one more time, but it looks like Tuscaloosa it's first 5-star hotel right along the river! Here's a picture of the proposed hotel

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 8:29 PM

I was gonna post about the approval of the 5 star as reported in The Tuscaloosa News today but The Capstone beat me to it!

I did notice that demolition of the old theaters in McFarland Mall is currently underway finally! Anyone know if there is anything announced or planned for that prime location?

It would sure be nice to see some improvements to the intersection of Skyland and McFarland Blvd. That area, in my opinion, is as bad or worse than McFarland and 15th St./Veterans Parkway. With all the new development underway, it's only gonna get worse. I'm so happy to see all that's going on in T-town however!

I would love to see a greater effort to lure a commercial air carrier back to Tuscaloosa. I wonder what percentage of the Birmingham air traffic comes from Tuscaloosa. I'm pretty sure a good amount of it does!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
I did notice that demolition of the old theaters in McFarland Mall is currently underway finally! Anyone know if there is anything announced or planned for that prime location
Noticed that too. I don't know what is going up go there other than 5-6 new retail stores. I suggested a Dave-N-Busters a long time ago, so hopefully that gets taken into consideration. I'm just glad they're finally getting on with the demolition instead of just letting it sit there half demolished.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:18 PM

Hey Capstone, remember when we were talking about Jupiter Bar? Here is an article on al.com that I'm sure you are aware of. I just thought it was interesting that only a few days after we discussed this they have a plan.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/inde..._more_business

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Hey Capstone, remember when we were talking about Jupiter Bar? Here is an article on al.com that I'm sure you are aware of. I just thought it was interesting that only a few days after we discussed this they have a plan.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/inde..._more_business
That was quick. I love the name of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast