HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
really not a fan of this one.. while the buildings fronting jasper aren't gems, there is at least some character to them
El Mirador on the other hand... it's already a gem, it'd only be better hidden amongst the towers of a built out core!

while it's great too see Edmonton finally hitting it's urban renaissance, it seems too many of the mistakes of the past are being repeated..
keep nuking the buildings that give variety to the urban fabric, and you start to destroy the appeal of the urban fabric
block after block of bland high rise condos is no different than seas of vinyl and stucco in the burbs IMO

I hate the idea of interfering in the free market.. but I wouldn't mind if the city put a 10 year block on demo permits in the core. get as many empty lots as possible filled during this boom

now coincidentally, there just happens to be space for two towers to the immediate south of this site..
ahahaha what? The third world commie block movie set that is most of Edmonton looks no different than Vancouver downtown? Vancouver downtown has a ton of bland meh-looking glass condos. They won't get the city any praise, but to say that they're still a few magnitudes above the crap-shoot that is Edmonton is an understatement.

Floor to ceiling glass and cookie cutter glass condo tower is better, 10 times out of 10, compared to a depression inducing commie block looking tower with punched windows. Also, what urban fabric? Downtown Edmonton is deserted half the time. Outside of the main drags, you barely see people outside the working hours.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abii View Post
ahahaha what? The third world commie block movie set that is most of Edmonton looks no different than Vancouver downtown? Vancouver downtown has a ton of bland meh-looking glass condos. They won't get the city any praise, but to say that they're still a few magnitudes above the crap-shoot that is Edmonton is an understatement.

Floor to ceiling glass and cookie cutter glass condo tower is better, 10 times out of 10, compared to a depression inducing commie block looking tower with punched windows. Also, what urban fabric? Downtown Edmonton is deserted half the time. Outside of the main drags, you barely see people outside the working hours.
I do agree with your "Floor to ceiling glass and cookie cutter glass condo tower is better, 10 times out of 10, compared to a depression inducing commie block looking tower with punched windows." but not the rest of your comment.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 3:53 PM

even more shameless self promotion for the brighton block:

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...brighton-block

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:39 PM
Unregistered User :(

Back from the dead? Coliseum pitches to get one final review
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...for-more-input

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 7:19 PM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
even more shameless self promotion for the brighton block:

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...brighton-block
Great job....

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 8:56 PM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Jasper 108st pre-application:

-120-150m
-~1050 residential units with a diverse variety of units
- active commercial frontages
- pedestrian links to the forthcoming central park

Pre-application notice
My Gawd, but that thunderous clunker on the corner of the development makes negative one million percent sense.

Crap like that gives mixed-use a bad name.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 1:34 AM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
My Gawd, but that thunderous clunker on the corner of the development makes negative one million percent sense.

Crap like that gives mixed-use a bad name.
Not a fan of this sub par design as well.

At least try to envelope this around both towers.

Looks like a stranded block of cheese.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 3:00 AM

^
^^
i guess some people don’t understand “FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY - SUBJECT TO CHANGE”.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:
^
^^
i guess some people don’t understand “FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY - SUBJECT TO CHANGE”.
We're not idiots, Ken. (Are you actually defending them?)

The real question about understanding here is how anyone would put forward something surefire-built to raise the ire of pretty much anyone with at least a minimum understanding of what might have well been a stack of poop emojis on the corner of the site. (That's not a swipe at you, BTW.)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:49 AM

Quote:
We're not idiots, Ken. (Are you actually defending them?)

The real question about understanding here is how anyone would put forward something surefire-built to raise the ire of pretty much anyone with at least a minimum understanding of what might have well been a stack of poop emojis on the corner of the site. (That's not a swipe at you, BTW.)
who am i to try and argue that a preliminary massing sketch of a corner podium with no setbacks if actually executed could ever contribute to a vibrant urban corner...

https://flic.kr/p/26UD97B

Last edited by kcantor; Jun 17, 2018 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
who am i to try and argue that a preliminary massing sketch of a corner podium with no setbacks if actually executed could ever contribute to a vibrant urban corner...

https://flic.kr/p/26UD97B
This project is no Rockefeller Center unless your thinking there is an opera house squirrelled away in that massing sketch.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
This project is no Rockefeller Center unless your thinking there is an opera house squirrelled away in that massing sketch.
my only point here is that no one yet knows what’s going to be in that space or how much of it is eventually going to be enclosed or how of it is going to be integrated with or separated from what’s adjacent to it or how much if it might be public or how any of it will treated architecturally.

it’s nothing but an electronic copy of a proposed massing model for zoning purposes.

could i hate what gets proposed within it when the time comes?

could you become quite enamoured with it?

damned if i know at this point and i don’t think anyone else does either.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
my only point here is that no one yet knows what’s going to be in that space or how much of it is eventually going to be enclosed or how of it is going to be integrated with or separated from what’s adjacent to it or how much if it might be public or how any of it will treated architecturally.
I don't have to know what's proposed for the corner to know that, in and of itself, the massing is hackneyed and brutish, and not in the good brutalism way.

Trying not to be disrespectful, but if this got a passing grade, then I'd have to think that the UDP is either tone-deaf or incestuous. Sorry, but when a massing design is this clearly off-the-mark, it's hard not to go to town on it.

To think that anyone associated with this project thought that this massing was "good enough" to commence discussions with the city, well that screams volumes, and at the kind of volume that drives sane people away.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
I don't have to know what's proposed for the corner to know that, in and of itself, the massing is hackneyed and brutish, and not in the good brutalism way.

Trying not to be disrespectful, but if this got a passing grade, then I'd have to think that the UDP is either tone-deaf or incestuous. Sorry, but when a massing design is this clearly off-the-mark, it's hard not to go to town on it.

To think that anyone associated with this project thought that this massing was "good enough" to commence discussions with the city, well that screams volumes, and at the kind of volume that drives sane people away.
or maybe it screams volumes at the process and how adversarial it can be, particularly at the public consultation level, where it’s more like a game of poker than a consultative charrette which means starting at “m” to get to “e” because if you start at “f” you’ll be lucky to get to “c”?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
or maybe it screams volumes at the process and how adversarial it can be, particularly at the public consultation level, where it’s more like a game of poker than a consultative charrette which means starting at “m” to get to “e” because if you start at “f” you’ll be lucky to get to “c”?
So much of Edmonton's development is based on that logic. Unfortunately we get a lot of xyz rather than abc - and the crap in middle is simply "there".

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
No, it screams volumes that there are market participants that set the bar so low that they can't even see/comprehend what it means to set the bar high. Frankly, they're wasting time with the system when they come out with something so dismal to begin with.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 6:25 PM
Community Guy

Precedent folks, precedent.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Precedent folks, precedent.
That’s like saying anything is good enough for Edmonton. Precedent has given Edmonton a hampster wheel and not much more. Take a hatchet to the City development process and use it to cut some of deadwood as well.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 8:54 PM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton