HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 10:14 PM

Arrow Break the Federal Stranglehold on YVR

http://www.trofirhen.wordpress.com <<<<< (The Link to my blog on all this is here, if you'd like to contribute)

For a long while, the YVR Airport thread was one of the most popular on SKYSCRAPERPAGE VANCOUVER.

People submitted pictures, traded anecdotes and stories, and contributed their idea of what YVR should be like, and what it will become in five, ten, or twenty years.

A great airport is concommitant with a great city, and Vancouver, although young and relatively small (2.2 million) is nonetheless a "great city" in that its quality of life is known around the world.

However, to have a great airport, you need not only the facilitiies, but the destinations, and the federal government, through protectionism of Air Canada, and favouritism of Toronto - Central Canada being its main voting base - has clipped Vancouver's wings and deprived it of some of the most basic destinations that any major city could have; Paris as the leading example, but also other cities in Europe, Asia, and Latin America and the Middle East

It allows airlines to land at Toronto while flatly denying them access at YVR. Emirates is a leading example of that.

It places high takeoff and landing fees at Canadian airports to pay for things like the new monster Superterminal at Toronto, unwittingly luring Canadian travellers to fly Stateside.

Rather than just bemoaning the situation, can't we organize a list of MP's to write to, to lobby the feds to ease up and back off? If we don't, Vancouver - and other Canadian airports, too - willlose airlines, jobs, and destinations.

Of all major Canadian airports, YVR has the most to lose, because it has not yet gained sufficient overseas destinations to be a TRUE international airport.
This has got to stop.

The people on this forum cannot do it all thmselves, but we can devise ways to organise lists of MPs to write to for lobbying on behalf of YVR, and to give Vancouver the roster of destinations it need to remain competitive and to continue to grow.

This thread is an experiment to see if enough people can chip in, brainstorm, take action that is well thought through, and break free of the straightjacket we're now in, despite all the "Open Skies" agreements signed.
It might be worth a try.

Last edited by trofirhen; Oct 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 10:42 PM

I'm 100% behind this initiative....unfortunately, i only have so much time. I'd suggest that you start up a Facebook group and Wordpress blog similar to what the UBC SkyTrain initiative has done.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 4:22 AM

Question anyone care to participate ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
I'm 100% behind this initiative....unfortunately, i only have so much time. I'd suggest that you start up a Facebook group and Wordpress blog similar to what the UBC SkyTrain initiative has done.
mr.x made a very valid point. Trouble is, I didn't grow up with computers and have a hard time starting Facebook groups and Wordpress blogs; but it's a great idea! If anyone can give me instructions, and would like to part of it, please leave a post.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 6:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Just go to wordpress.com and play around it with it. See for me, I don't understand how people learn from computer classes (guess I'm not that generation), but to learn technology, you have to first try embracing it. I know someone right now who's approaching 60 years old, but her interest in technology has driven her to use technology as well as an average person in their 20s.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 6:25 AM

exactly, we should become a global city, not just a major gateway to asia, which all the routes suggest us to be. Toronto is not the only center of the universe, we should have half the pie....

btw, the livable city status is a little tricky, since many cities in the ranking are bigger than us, which means they face mroe pollution...congestion...and noise problems. i suggest the most livable cities are the smaller cities, which many never got to be mentioned, or ranked...

yvr shouldn't be expanded, they should put the traffic to some other airports in the metro, build more lanes there...maybe have a national airport, then a us/international one...the current airway is noisy like mad

anyways, one thing I dont know about is whether we have a market for direct flights to parts of latin and south america, seems like this city's market is focused on the asian pacific and north america

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
exactly, we should become a global city, not just a major gateway to asia, which all the routes suggest us to be. Toronto is not the only center of the universe, we should have half the pie....
anyways, one thing I dont know about is whether we have a market for direct flights to parts of latin and south america, seems like this city's market is focused on the asian pacific and north america
... Pls don't forget Europe, too.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 9:42 AM

Arrow I Been And Gone And Done It .......

Thanks, people.

Heeeeeeere's the Link. If this project doesn't work, Deasine, just shut it down for me. Thanks, tro

http://www.trofirhen.wordpress.com

Last edited by trofirhen; Oct 4, 2009 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 3:53 PM
Site 8 Lives

Have a look at the latest issue of Business in Vancouver that hit newstands today -- very big cover story on the need for open skies. Story should be available online tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 6:53 PM

Question A QUESTION: I need your advice .....

. . . and Deasine gave it to me. Thanks a million deasine. "... the world is yours, and all that's in it ..." (Rudyard Kipling)

Thank you all very much.

Last edited by trofirhen; Oct 4, 2009 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 7:11 PM
Vancouver Moderator

That's because your address is wrong. The address you gave is for the Administration Panel. Your wordpress address is just http://www.trofirhen.wordpress.com

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 7:37 PM

Ladies & Gentlemen, This is where to leave a comment

Break the federal stranglehold on Vancouver:

Here's the address. . . . let 'er rip! (if anyone is still interested) ! !

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 7:46 PM

hmmm, i'd suggest changing the blog name to something that reflects the purpose of the initiative. i.e. freeyvrairport.wordpress.com

And i'd also pretty up the blog too.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
hmmm, i'd suggest changing the blog name to something that reflects the purpose of the initiative. i.e. freeyvrairport.wordpress.com

And i'd also pretty up the blog too.
Great idea . . . I just don't know how, and that's no lie ! ! !

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure