HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1 Journal Squared in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 10:06 PM

Cool CHICAGO | 150 North Riverside | 752 FT | 54 FLOORS

William Blair moving headquarters to new West Loop tower

William Blair & Co. signed a letter of intent to anchor a proposed 53-story office tower along the Chicago River, the second big ground-up office project to get under way since the recession.

The investment firm is working to finalize a deal to move its headquarters to more than 300,000 square feet in the 1.2 million-square-foot tower at 150 N. Riverside Plaza planned by Chicago developer John O'Donnell, William Blair President and CEO John Ettelson confirmed today. Employees were informed this morning of the move planned for 2017.

Mr. O'Donnell plans to break ground next summer on the building, which will be just south of a 45-story high-rise being developed by Houston-based Interests L.P. William Blair expects to sign a 15-year lease for its space within the next two months, a move that could make it easier for Mr. O'Donnell to attract other tenants to the project.

“William Blair is going to have a huge gravitational effect on the market,” said tenant broker Ari Klein, a senior director at New York-based Cushman & Wakefield Inc. who is not involved in the deal. “You know there are sizeable tenants that are going to follow.

“I don't think there's anybody who doubted John O'Donnell. But once somebody like William Blair commits, it gets much more real to other tenants. With William Blair going there, they'll see that building as a true contender.”
Mr. O'Donnell, a former executive at Chicago office developer John Buck Co., said his venture is close to finalizing construction financing and investment partners, with construction set to begin by July 1 regardless of whether additional tenants commit by then.

150NorthRiverside.com

Previous design:

blog.chicagoarchitecture.info

blog.chicagoarchitecture.info

150NorthRiverside.com

Building Website: http://150northriverside.com/

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Jan 16, 2014 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 10:14 PM

Video from the building website: http://vimeo.com/70118445

Looks more vertical in the video than a lot of the renders I've seen. The official height is 737' according to this:

150northriverside.com

Looks more vertical in the stacking plan as well.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 10:37 PM
The City

^ This project is beautiful, I love the video. On the stacking plan, what does it say for lower level 1 and 2 on the far right (light blue)? Does that say "conference"?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 11:03 PM

There is a large conference/ballroom on the river level which seats up to 260 people according to the website. The website is very complete and has all sorts of elevations and floor plans.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 11:10 PM

Random thoughts:

2 beautiful buildings = 2 times the fun.

The video shows underground parking - or access at 150. Access from where - alley, Lake Street? Ugh!

I'd say the blue is better used as restaurants/bars along the River to turn the River's "street party" into the South Branch from the Confluence. (Don't forget the Riverwalk extension to the Confluence that also starts next Spring.)

Each announced lease at the 2 buildings has the tenant taking less space than it now has where it is. Net is more vacant space in the Loop which will be harder to fill.

Wolf Point had better get going with more than the underground garage.

When is Google arriving to join the River party? And, is 1K Fulton still on track?

Good news today!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 12:45 AM
The City

Well, William Blair is actually expanding and expects to have more jobs by the time they move. Perhaps more efficient use of space?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well, William Blair is actually expanding and expects to have more jobs by the time they move. Perhaps more efficient use of space?
Yes, more cost efficient. But, even with the number of Blair jobs expanding, the sq. ft. rented will drop.

According to today's Crains article, Blair currently rents 324K sq. ft. at 222 W. Adams. Will commit to 300K sq. ft. at 150 N. Riverside. http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...est-loop-tower

Still, good news today for 150 N. Riverside and the West Loop area.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 1:19 AM

Beautiful building, the first impression being that of a non conservative and adventurous structural design, one which assigns an apparent high level of trust to computer (FEA) modeling and material homogeneity.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here on this forum know what are the minimum lateral “g” forces that a building such as this one being proposed is required by the Chicago city codes to be able to withstand?

However academic, wondering if anyone in Chicago, current or past has worked towards establishing a minimum life cycle expectancy requirement for skyscrapers, without collapsing from structural failure brought on by simple material fatigue or known fault movement potentials, e.g. buildings greater than 150 meters in height are to remain structurally sound, given minimal structural improvements and or reconditioning for a period greater than 100 years for a hypothetical class “C” rated structure, 200 years for a class “B” rating and minimum 400 years for a hypothetical class “A” rated structure, for which, during each 200 year cycle, capable of withstanding a New Madras earthquake (displacement) event, much like that which is reported to have taken place in the year 1811.

As an additional point of interest, wonder how effective a mass dampener would be that was designed to function along the minor axis of the building.

From the perspective of an occupant or visitor, would like to have seen a recessed glass (transparent) curtain wall incorporated into the east side of the building's base much like that seen on the west side, or different. This enclosed space providing an expansive view from the lobby floor to view the city from a unique perspective, people enjoying the wider than typical dividing gap between north-south aligned buildings produced by the river, resulting in a four season space. For possible consideration, the increased canyoning of the river along the west bank, further elevating the average local wind velocity along the exposed east facing portion of this proposed structure.

In addition, the current design as rendered, setting aside a solar induced, spirit (mood) lifting therapeutic opportunity for people as they get to observe the very limited morning Sun, receiving photo stimulation during the short day light hours of the frequently overcast late fall to early spring seasons, or on frigid windy days. Should such large glass like curtain wall on the east facing portion of the building exist, I would venture to guest, myself enjoying similar opportunities, that even the view of large heavy snow flakes falling upon the Chicago River would more than likely be an embraced winter scene by the building occupants at ground level.

Should an asymmetric, pseudo Feng Shui appearance be desired, still very possible to retain in the final exterior appearance of the building, yet tastefully preserve the very lean and upright, tip balanced chisel impression of the build while increasing the human function and welcoming sense of the east floor area a four season space would offer.

Most agreeing that people by nature and innate curiosity gravitating to a drop off cliff like terrain or structure morphology that leads to an expansive view (minus the girder bridge), regardless if such location is natural or artificially produced.

Last edited by seadragon; Dec 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 3:13 AM
The City

^ ...huh?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 4:13 AM

^^^ I was gonna say...

I'm sure that skyscraper durability isn't even an issue since we have skyscrapers that have been standing for 120+ years in Chicago that were built with far inferior technology and have had no issues at all structurally. I can't even imagine how long the buildings we are building today with ultra high tech reinforced concrete will last.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 6:09 AM

^^^
High Sky Zephyr, I knew you'd come back!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 4:09 PM

I rather like this building even though it has been getting poo-pooed on another website. That whole section of the river is going to look great come 5+ years from now.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 5:15 PM

Hey Seadragon.... can I have some of whatever you're smoking.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Thumbs down

Wow I really hate the base of this. It's honestly the worst thing I've seen in a while, worse than Trump. Looks like fucking country club in Florida. Wow. What a god damn disaster. :/

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Wow I really hate the base of this. It's honestly the worst thing I've seen in a while, worse than Trump. Looks like fucking country club in Florida. Wow. What a god damn disaster. :/

link

I'm trying to find the similarities, but I'm struggling.. Is it the curving paths that you hate?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 3:32 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post

link

I'm trying to find the similarities, but I'm struggling.. Is it the curving paths that you hate?
I'm guessing he doesn't like the way it's a tower in a park, that doesn't really enforce the urban fabric. And he has a point. Nonetheless, given that it's a strange site, I think the way it behaves is acceptable. But if all buildings in the Greater Loop were built that way, it would truly be a disaster.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 3:36 AM

That makes sense. Even if they wanted to enforce the urban fabric, it's a bit hard to do so on a riverfront site. I'd agree these lots are the only ones where this type of design is appropriate...with the goal of making more and more of the riverfront park-like.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 6:29 AM

Can't say I'm to big on the tower in a park idea either, but it does perhaps work well along the river. The base on the other hand, not sure how I feel about it.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 AM
BANNED

Is it all the curves? In a word: yeah. But more importantly, what fucking city was this building designed for? It's only nice enough maybe half the year, if we're lucky, to enjoy these kind of park plazas or whatever the fuck you call it. Didn't 311 S Wacker already illustrate the absurdity of the tower-in-park design? And since when is the river a desirable focal point??? I just really don't understand the push to create amenities at the river's edge. This is now tower number three, along the river, ruined by an unsightly and ridiculous country club base. Wolf Point will be number 4. Well designed buildings (excluding Trump) ruined at their base.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 6:48 AM
BANNED

I just wanna go on record saying I think the building itself kicks ass. I love the catilever design, pretty slick. Looks like a Robocop design or Bladerunner or something. I just feel like a Daley Center style plaza would have been a far more aesthetically pleasing and practical design. That is all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive