HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1 Journal Squared in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is this related at all to that tall proposal from a few years back from that developer who was, well, quite elderly?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 10:29 PM

Yowzers. This is the first I've heard of it. There was a proposal for twin towers back around '06, the tallest being around 60 stories. There is a big hole in the middle of JSQ where they cleared some old buildings for it. Last I heard, the city was pressuring the developers to either build something or sell the site.

It would be pretty badass if this went through, although I remain skeptical for the time being. It's a very radical change for a neighborhood that, though brimming with potential, still has yet to see much development action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Ya see, there is one MAJOR problem to this. How in the hell are they going to fill 2,000 apartments in Jersey City?
2,000 apartments is nothing. There's way more than that coming. Downtown Jersey City was blowing up before the recession, and has a huge pipeline of residential hi-rises approved and ready to start. Journal Square is not currently a hot neighborhood, but it's only one stop further from the hot part of Jersey City, and is a serious transit hub. It's also a relatively inexpensive area. I could see these apartments moving pretty quickly.

Jersey City put up about a dozen+ very tall residential buildings in the last 8 years or so, and they're all pretty much filled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
These 5 towers are just the beginning of what would someday be a massive skyline in Jersey City and Hoboken.
I wouldn't count on much more of a skyline from Hoboken. It's approaching build-out (it has only think of one big vacant lot downtown) and is NIMBY-central. Also, the one big hi-rise Hoboken does have, the W Hotel, is so hideous that it may have ruined Hoboken's taste for high-rises.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:30 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Is this related at all to that tall proposal from a few years back from that developer who was, well, quite elderly?
Do you mean this one?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...eils_jour.html

I don't think so. They appear to be on different parcels.

^ ....................................................................................... ^
Old project site ............................................................... This project

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:32 AM

Well you won't attract much residents if your house is near a funeral home. I think that would scare most people away.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:26 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Made a quick model-its BIG.

From WTC:

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:26 AM
Show me the blueprints

Ahhh, so is that old unrelated proposal long dead or on the back back burner somewhere?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:31 AM
DENNAB

It's kinda far from the main skyline, still cool though

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:07 PM
New Yorker for life

I go through that area pretty frequently, but I'll have to refresh my memory on the turn of events there. There was a specific reason why the older proposal never got built, and a lot would have to happen before this one could. Journal Square could and should support more office development though.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 11:41 PM

At the risk of sounding like a pessimist, this proposal seems pretty far fetched.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
At the risk of sounding like a pessimist, this proposal seems pretty far fetched.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. If anything arises out of this, it will not be a supertall, in fact I doubt it will even reach 800 feet.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I go through that area pretty frequently, but I'll have to refresh my memory on the turn of events there. There was a specific reason why the older proposal never got built, and a lot would have to happen before this one could. Journal Square could and should support more office development though.
I've never heard of anything on this exact site, and I think it's a new proposal.

There's another major Journal Square site that's received tons of press (a two-towered development, the taller being 62 floors), but that's on an adjacent site.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:04 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Personally, I would like to read about which developer is involved with the project. I looked at the webpage on the architect's site and it's more or less marketing material.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:23 AM
Global Citizen

Somehow this would look much better on the waterfront rather than so far away from Jersey City's main cluster.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:45 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
Somehow this would look much better on the waterfront rather than so far away from Jersey City's main cluster.
I think we can all agree on that, it is a bit far away

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
This is located in Journal Square, which is Jersey City's main transit hub.

They're trying to shift highrise development more towards Journal Square, and just rezoned the neighborhood to allow towers.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:26 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I don't see developers moving to Journal Square though until the waterfront is mostly filled up. There's still PLENTY of surface lots near the waterfront open for development.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:46 AM

There is lots of room for skyscrapers in Hoboken especially around Hoboken Terminal and the Lincoln Tunnel areas. I would like to see World Financial Center and World Trade Center like development around here.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 7:07 AM

Honestly i cant see office pace being built out in JC anytime in the near future. With the flood of new space going up in Manhattan particularly at the Hudson yards which is offering great rates i cant see why corporations would want to be anywhere else.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:13 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
There is lots of room for skyscrapers in Hoboken especially around Hoboken Terminal and the Lincoln Tunnel areas. I would like to see World Financial Center and World Trade Center like development around here.
Hoboken has a height limit and so does Neighboring Weehawken which is where the Lincoln Tunnel is located....

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hoboken has a height limit and so does Neighboring Weehawken which is where the Lincoln Tunnel is located....
True Hoboken residents want to keep the city small. The Lincoln Tunnel area is not very accessible. There's usually a massive traffic backup in the mornings and evenings. The path train only goes into Hoboken about 20 blocks to the south. They have a light rail you can connect to but it's not big and doesn't run enough yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive