HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1 Journal Squared in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
I have never taken the PATH and I will never understand what it is or how to use it. Mind-boggling. But NJ transit is fantastic.

This site is literally in the middle of nowhere and I'm surprised it's getting built. I like the ambition and scope but I can't help feeling this will ultimately look awkward & alone. I don't see the neighborhood becoming a viable hub or center of business and there isn't enough existing for even a major project like this to change that. 1,800 residences are a lot for one development but in terms of creating a neighborhood, nothing. If they can put 10,000 units adjacent to the station, the prospects begin to become much better... unfortunately I don't think you could find enough people to fill those units (especially if they're luxury buildings demanding relatively high rents). We will see but I definitely hope it works out for the best...
I'm guessing you've never been out there?

wikipedia

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkoumori View Post
I'm guessing you've never been out there?
Why would anyone ever go there?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:50 AM

^Because people work, shop, eat and live there.

No need to be insular, it's a big metro area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journal_Square

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:54 AM

The PATH takes the metrocard. If you're ever downtown and want to see what Manhattan looks like across the river, it's a nice little diversion. The view of 1WTC down Grand st. is fantastic. The few times I've been to Jersey City, I've been very impressed. I get the impression that there's a lot of room for development and development is inevitable.

There's a WPA art deco hospital and administrative complex that's more in the middle of nowhere than Journal Square. It was converted into million dollar lofts and condos. The success or failure of that project might be indicative of the demand in Jersey City.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
^Because people work, shop, eat and live there.

No need to be insular.
I thought it was just strip malls. I don't think many people work, shop, eat and live there. I doubt any of my friends in NYC have been there.

Not being insular, it's just a totally random place and I don't see this development jump-starting growth. It's just not an accessible neighborhood nor an in-demand location.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
I thought it was just strip malls. I don't think many people work, shop, eat and live there. I doubt any of my friends in NYC have been there.

Not being insular, it's just a totally random place and I don't see this development jump-starting growth. It's just not an accessible neighborhood nor an in-demand location.
Just because you haven't been and don't know anybody there doesn't mean it isn't a thriving, accessible community- which it is.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:

You should take a trip out there to see it before it changes. I should revise my previous statement though and say that unlimited passes won't work.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
There's a WPA art deco hospital and administrative complex that's more in the middle of nowhere than Journal Square. It was converted into million dollar lofts and condos. The success or failure of that project might be indicative of the demand in Jersey City.
Good point. Here's a $1.6m listing there;

http://www.neighborcity.com/property...1748-26109049/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:23 AM

I'm sorry but I agree... I hope I'm wrong but I think this developer is completely shooting for the stars and will ultimately come up empty... I smell fail all over this project, but I could be wrong. Something this large of scale should be on the Jersey City Waterfront... Something this big there is COMPLETELY out of scale and will look ridiculous. Maybe something around 300-400 feet would be much more appropriate for the area.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Why would anyone ever go there?
Pretty strange comment to make. Sounds rather snobby.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcco View Post
I work in Jersey City - the nice part, and I wouldn't want to live even there. Too few real amenities. Not even a Whole Foods, even with all of the upscale rental and condo buildings.
Add 10,000 high-income residents to Journal Square, and you'll get your Whole Foods and upscale amenities.

There are roughly a dozen major towers planned for Journal Square. As the affluent residents arrive, amenities will follow.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:36 AM

Poor Jersey City, so misunderstood!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:39 AM

Quote:
I
You should take a visit to Journal Square. You really couldn't be more wrong. Excepting NYC (obviously) there are few neighborhoods in the U.S. as urban and dense as Journal Square.

Journal Square is the transit hub of Jersey City. It's the densest neighborhood in Jersey City and already has tons of apartment buildings and working class retail corridors.

It also has one of the largest and busiest Little Indias in the U.S.

And there is already new development. Two new (much smaller) apartment highrises were built in recent years.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:48 AM

It also seems many people don't understand the difference between Journal Square and Exchange Place? I'm not from NJ but they are two distinct neighborhoods on the PATH.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
It also seems many people don't understand the difference between Journal Square and Exchange Place? I'm not from NJ but they are two distinct neighborhoods on the PATH.
I don't think anyone confused Journal Square with Exchange Place. I think it's more like they don't know what or where it is.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:04 AM

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:17 AM

Sooooooo residents of Jersey City are actually telling me that they think this development is appropriate for the area? I think it is EXTREMELY out of scale and out of touch with the neighborhood. It's just the developer shooting for an extreme return on investment. 70 stories?! Most of the buildings in this area are 2 or 3 floors. There are very few highrises let alone midrises in the area.

This development should be along the waterfront and on this site should be maybe a 300 or 400 foot tower. MUCH more appropriate for the area. This is just completely ridiculous looking

Good city planning is building to critical mass, than building up... not building a 70 story tower when the area is not built to critical mass... IMO I think this will saturate the market for a few years and Phase 2 and 3 will never get built.

This is just as farfetched as the Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn by Forest City Ratner.

If this development was on the waterfront I'd be all for it... but here?! Crazy I tell ya

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I have never taken the PATH and I will never understand what it is or how to use it. Mind-boggling. But NJ transit is fantastic.

This site is literally in the middle of nowhere
The PATH isn't hard to understand at all. Quite contrary, it's just like the subway, but a lot simpler because there are so few lines and stops. I use the PATH often, and its an alternative to many NJ Transit customers heading Downtown or from Hoboken. The extreme crowding is a testament to how many people understand it as a viable connection. Journal Square has direct connections to both the WTC and 33rd street terminals. As far as the area surround it, it is very dense.

Quote:
The difference is that Journal Square is a true urban area while Exchange Place is the artificially created "Battery Park City" of JC. The average person in JC will see more of Journal Square than Exchange Place. That's really all you need to know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I think it is EXTREMELY out of scale and out of touch with the neighborhood. It's just the developer shooting for an extreme return on investment. 70 stories?! Most of the buildings in this area are 2 or 3 floors. There are very few highrises let alone midrises in the area.

This development should be along the waterfront
You are aware that 20 years ago there was no waterfront community or highrises in JC right? This neighborhood is exactly where this type of development belongs.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Sooooooo residents of Jersey City are actually telling me that they think this development is appropriate for the area? I think it is EXTREMELY out of scale and out of touch with the neighborhood. It's just the developer shooting for an extreme return on investment. 70 stories?! Most of the buildings in this area are 2 or 3 floors. There are very few highrises let alone midrises in the area.

This development should be along the waterfront and on this site should be maybe a 300 or 400 foot tower. MUCH more appropriate for the area. This is just completely ridiculous looking

Good city planning is building to critical mass, than building up... not building a 70 story tower when the area is not built to critical mass... IMO I think this will saturate the market for a few years and Phase 2 and 3 will never get built.

This is just as farfetched as the Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn by Forest City Ratner.

If this development was on the waterfront I'd be all for it... but here?! Crazy I tell ya
Wha?- are you being ironic? I don't get it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

You are aware that 20 years ago there was no waterfront community or highrises in JC right? This neighborhood is exactly where this type of development belongs.
Yes... I am aware, but those developments started with smaller scale highrises. You don't start with a 70 story tower...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive