HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:01 AM

Arrow Congestion in Metro Vancouver Survey --- PLEASE Complete!!

Hey guys,

I'm taking a transportation planning course in UBC and my project group is looking at congestion in Vancouver and options to deal with congestion. We are gathering views from the public and trying to get 500 responses. I would really appreciate your help if you could fill out this online survey and then send it to any of your friends and family. It's only 20 questions and you get to see the results at the end, which I think will be interesting to see the public's opinion!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/vancong_001

Thanks! Comments or suggestions are welcomed too.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:35 AM

Did your survey, some funny results there, who are all these 150 000 + a year average income earners??? Did your profs do the survey first? hehehe. Sucks being the poorest one so far on there!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:48 AM

LOL I noticed that too! One of my group members works for Ministry of Transportation so she has connections to some government higherups! Thanks for taking the survey!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:54 AM

You can view the results here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s_thank...01ykMOb206A%3d

If anyone hasn't completed the survey yet, please do so as it would help me out a lot. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/vancong_001

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:08 AM

Done! Although I can't help but feel that the views of the average SSPer may be pretty different from the views of the average Lower Mainlander on these topics...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:11 AM

Complete. Lots of rich people on your list.

My results might be a little skewed though, as I don't pay for transit.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:34 AM

Done. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the results, especially the distribution of people who live South of the Fraser and work North of the Fraser.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:44 AM

I did the survey but I can't find where to view the results. the link above just takes me to a generic page with no info

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:47 AM
Reason and Freedom

The results did not include the question about priorities regarding travel planning (e.g. speed, reliability, safety, "social responsibility" etc.)

Last edited by Prometheus; Feb 28, 2012 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
I did the survey but I can't find where to view the results. the link above just takes me to a generic page with no info
Same thing here. I only see an invitation to sign up for survey monkey.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:05 AM

hmmm I think my one of my group members must have changed the settings to remove the results. I've messaged him about that. Hopefully we'll be able to see the results again cuz that's the interesting part.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:44 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
Complete. Lots of rich people on your list.

My results might be a little skewed though, as I don't pay for transit.
The average income in Vancouver has to be pretty high to support housing costs. Also, households with room mates tend to show very high. In my house there's usually 3 income earners, thus over 100K/yr income. It doesn't mean we're rich. Heck, 3 income earners in a house could have student loans still and just scrape by.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:10 PM

Done. I felt pretty bad as the option for commuting from Abbotsford wasn't even included haha, I had to put that in as 'other.' Probably the only idiot dumb enough on there to commute from Abbotsford to Burnaby...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:20 PM
Mac User

Done! I'd like to see the results posted here. The link you posted directs me to a generic Survey Monkey Page.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:37 PM

The results are now pubic again. There at least 180 responses. If you guys could send it to friends and colleagues it would be extremely helpful, afterall I do want a diverse group.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s_thank...01ykMOb206A%3d

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:48 PM

Question 7's results seem to be meaningless, I think the wrong type of measurement was used for the question.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:07 AM

You should have a work from home option or at least mostly work from home option. In my case I only go to work twice a week and the rest of the time I, including everyone else work remotely from home, or where ever. (The twice per week is also pretty flexible in theory, but for many reasons twice per week is the number for me).

Many small corporations nowadays (e.i. at least less then 30 or so people imo) can have most of their employees work from home and just need people to come in for various scheduled company meetings, like I mentioned twice a week imo is usually sufficient for maximum productivity(although this would obviously vary based on many factors). Even large corporations for certain positions offer work from home, one day per week tends to be the upper limit based on what I have seen, for understandable reasons.

Anyways my point is your study is completely missing out on this crucial option, one that can really impact the numbers, and one you should zero in on if its for a "transportation planning course".

Last edited by cornholio; Feb 29, 2012 at 7:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:33 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll keep that in mind when analyzing the data. Those who mostly work at home would be assumed to be grouped into the 0-10min category for typical travel time. Ideally we would have a separate category for work at home but it's too late now.

Anyways I notice there's a disproportionate amount of males completing the survey (nearly 70%!). That's either a sign a large number of responses are from my engineering contacts or from you guys! Time to find some more people...

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll keep that in mind when analyzing the data. Those who mostly work at home would be assumed to be grouped into the 0-10min category for typical travel time. Ideally we would have a separate category for work at home but it's too late now.

Anyways I notice there's a disproportionate amount of males completing the survey (nearly 70%!). That's either a sign a large number of responses are from my engineering contacts or from you guys! Time to find some more people...
Ok I am going to go ahead and fill this thing out. But yeah over the years there has been a growing trend for working remotely. If everyone worked a "average" of one day per week from home then that would cut commute based congestion by nearly 20% right away. Pretty effective I think and makes that sprawling suburban house not seem like such a bad deal after-all . Who knows what the future holds for urban planning.

Thanks for posting this here by the way, I will make sure to view the final results.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics