HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 2:43 AM
See ya down under, mates

I learned to play soccer at Bobby's north van soccer camps and he seemed like a really nice guy? His son seemed well adjusted too - went to the same schools as me.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 3:32 AM

I had a call from the MLS recently because I went to I believe 2-3 of their games last year. I explained I had moved from BC to Southern Ontario, and then on trying to sell me tickets to TFC....

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 4:43 AM
Reason and Freedom

I noticed that Toronto FC's attendance has really dropped off the last couple of seasons. The Whitecaps will need to do all they can to become playoff contenders as quickly as possible if they want to avoid TFC's current situation.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I noticed that Toronto FC's attendance has really dropped off the last couple of seasons. The Whitecaps will need to do all they can to become playoff contenders as quickly as possible if they want to avoid TFC's current situation.
Yeah. Toronto's team stinks. nobody wants to keep on coming to a team that sucks. Even the NHL in Canada is not immune to that (well, with the exception of the Leafs, they've stunk for years, and they're still there, with no threat of ever moving). But I remember a time when Vancouver almost lost their NHL team, because nobody was coming out.

Same thing with the 'Caps. Another losing season (this year, with NO progress) is going to discourage people from coming out. If you win, people will come. Lose constantly and consistently, and that fanbase will not keep coming. It's just how things are. Sadly, many people keep thinking that there's no market for the NBA here. But I truly believe that if the team had shown signs of improvement, and progress of getting better, the fans would have continued to support the team tremendously. It's unfortunate it ended the way it did.

Anyone hearing of Seattle getting an NHL AND NBA franchise again? WOW. Maybe it's not that far fetched for Vancouver to get another shot at the NBA?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 12:36 AM
scared of rain

Does anyone know if they will be selling match packs again this year? I tried emailing the 'caps FO and haven't gotten a response.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 12:52 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Anyone hearing of Seattle getting an NHL AND NBA franchise again? WOW. Maybe it's not that far fetched for Vancouver to get another shot at the NBA?
A millionaire is in early negotiations about an unspecified arena. He's using the press to drum up hype/public support. This is a long way from "Seattle is getting NBA/NHL back."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:19 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
A millionaire is in early negotiations about an unspecified arena. He's using the press to drum up hype/public support. This is a long way from "Seattle is getting NBA/NHL back."
Exactly, The article in the Sun quoted an article in the SeattleT imes that quoted comments made on a blog or something. Any time they have to put
"so-and-so Reports" in the actual headline you know they aren't exactly on solid ground.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:03 PM
victory in near

WC did pretty well against seattle in a preseason game the other day. Things are starting to look really good.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 2:29 AM
Cheers!

New Designated Player signing.

Finally, a midfielder...

"Whitecaps FC announced today the acquisition of Scottish international midfielder Barry Robson as the club’s newest Designated Player."

More info here.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:32 AM
scared of rain

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012...ontreal-impact

Looks like the 'Caps have sold 13,000 seasons tickets so far.

Not spectacular, but not to bad either.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger View Post
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012...ontreal-impact

Looks like the 'Caps have sold 13,000 seasons tickets so far.

Not spectacular, but not to bad either.
It's not bad considering the team won an abysmal 6 games out of 34. But how many of those 13,000 tickets are renewals, and how many are new?

If we have a good year this year, the renewal rate will increase dramatically. this city is too much of a soccer hotbed for that not to happen, should the product on the field be a good one.

i'm excited about the 'caps this year. i think they're going to have a VERY good year. I'd say...11-16 win season - which will put us near the top of the western conference.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 10:35 PM

WFC are now up to 6th in the MLS power rankings. It will be nice to see our midfield shored up with the arrival of Barry Robson when the transfer window opens up in July.

We're ignoring Arena's advice when it comes to the Whitecaps, who blew everybody away in the preseason. This is a team that not only has skill, speed, toughness and flair in the attacking third; they're a group that's goal-hungry. They go hard after half-chances, and don't particularly care who gets the last touch.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...eam-first-kick

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...uver-whitecaps

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 7:41 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

News reports are stating that Pavco has sent cease and desist letters to both the Whitecaps and to Bell about referring to the field as the Bell Pitch.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
News reports are stating that Pavco has sent cease and desist letters to both the Whitecaps and to Bell about referring to the field as the Bell Pitch.
Yeah, but it was still referred to as "Bell Pitch" this past Saturday's home opener against the Impact.

What's going on here? How is it that Pavco can rip into one of their main tenants in the 'Caps?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 3:10 PM

Is this for real?

Whitecaps acquire David beckham!! Reported on global news this mOrning. I can't find it anywhere else though so I'm thinking it's a fuckin joke.

Last edited by osirisboy; Apr 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 4:08 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

What's the date today?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 4:25 PM

Yes I know. I was just a bit surprised they would have the owner of the whitecaps on global giving an interview about it. Tricky little buggers

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 10:27 PM

Anyone know if todays match is televised? Cant find it on my channel guide. Only radio?

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 10:29 PM

Found it. Sportsnet 1.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 4:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Surprised no one mentioned the great news about Bob Lenarduzzi being let go as club president. Too bad he is still a part of the organization although I suspect it's only a token position until they let him fade away quietly. Wether or not the owners open up the purse strings is a different matter but it will be good for soccer in Vancouver to get be clear of his meddling. The club supporters have been calling for this for a few years now. Hopefully we see Soccer Canada do the same and we can finally move forward at the national level too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation