HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
The NDP massacred the BC Liberals in Metro Vancouver, where people are being nickel and dimed to death.

Liberals = 43
NDP = 41
43>41, therefore NDP still didn't beat the Liberals.

and that still proves my point; the only reason they decimated SoF is because of the promise to remove tolls. and i thought the Green Party was in favour of decreasing car use, though they did support this initiative which has drastically increased it.; go figure.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
Increasing ICBC rates will take cars off the road because people won't be able to afford to insure them and will have to take transit.
All this does is force poor people to take transit while the wealthy are still riding around in SOVs. no different than tolling.

If the govt implemented this how long till NDP supporters cry foul?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:14 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post
All this does is force poor people to take transit while the wealthy are still riding around in SOVs. no different than tolling.

If the govt implemented this how long till NDP supporters cry foul?
When did driving become a right? It's always been a privilege to own and drive your own car.

It's so insane to see some people who are already living on tight means go out and finance a car + insurance + gas + maintenance + sometimes pay for parking. I took transit to work in 2014 and 2015 and saved almost 7k each year. In contrast to some of my contracted employees that would opt for the car and buy coffee and lunch each day.

I know some don't have an option but far too many people do not see the benefit of ditching their car. Ideally ...you would hope insurance could be dependent on your income but far too many people are evading taxes and reporting on off-shore assets.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
1) Luxury car tax + increase insurance for more expensive cars. People will still buy high end Audi's and BMW's
2) Stop insuring high-end luxury cars
3) Force all municipalities to begin charging the hell out of parking. Force North Vancouver to add a $10 fee for all-day parking at Lynn Canyon, Capilano and Deep Cove.
4) Distance-based per-km road pricing
5) If we use a GPS-linked system- then really increase the per-km in downtown Vancouver.
These are some very good ideas. If Metro V were open and congestion free, we wouldn't be having these conversations. Places like Edmonton don't have congestion issues like we do because there are no natural barriers. Very poor planning over the years has led us to this mess we are in. Vancouver proper is pretty much anti-car.

The #1 should be 10 lanes right after the C tunnel all the way to Abb. If this is the corridor most travelled, then build it right and make people pay to use the privilege. The best toll roads in the world charge you at certain check points. You only pay for how far you drive.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
incorrect, they removed them so they could get elected by using bad planning, bad ideas, but pandering to the people. they did the opposite of any good decision; they wanted to get elected. and even then, they still didn't beat the Liberals.
Yet the Liberals promised the same thing in their failed throne speech in a feeble attempt to hang on to power. Then Clark quit politics altogether, like a sore loser.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yet the Liberals promised the same thing in their failed throne speech in a feeble attempt to hang on to power. Then Clark quit politics altogether, like a sore loser.
well when someone runs on a populist platform the others need to do the same since the public doesn't care about good decisions because they cant see big pictures; they are small picture thinkers. you have to remember, the electorate as a whole are very dumb. when you start making promises that people think they want, but don't realize are terrible, the other guy needs to do the same. politics is about catering to the average person, which knows nothing about how to plan traffic/infrastructure/budgeting.

with regards to Clark quitting, cant really blame a politician who lost after 16yrs of rule to stick around. if you don't win one, odds are you never will. and if you loose one, odds are you're done for good. its rare that someone ever comes back.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Let's be real for a second...They didn't act on an ethical dilemma but SOLELY removed tolls because it won them ridings SOF.

The end result? People are already beginning to complain about being backed up to 152nd and seeing +30min being tacked onto their commute on weekdays. Stop-and-go traffic begins at 5:45am and sometimes last through the mid-morning while it's become a complete gongshow at other periods due to all the accidents. Congestion is sometimes observed even past 8pm now.

There's more readily available land SOF. With the tolls removed, more people are increasingly being enticed to move out there. It may have seemed "unfair" but it was required to prevent unfettered growth.

Those morons should have promised to drop tolls to $1 outside of rushhour and made a more enticing monthly pass alternative...except they were too fiscally irresponsible (as usual) and clearly didn't bother to research the repercussions of ridding the tolls.

Something will have to be done within the next 5 years as I guarantee congestion will really max out by then. Either they will be forced to bring back the tolls or implement road pricing. But I have a feeling traffic/road congestion will be the hot topic in the 2021 election. Just wait, there's absolutely nothing going ahead right now...
If the liberals had been smart they would tolled all the bridges from the very beginning. But they had this crazy idea that there needed to be a free crossing for every tolled crossing.

And I do agree that it was stupid that the NDP removed the tolls, but the tolls as they had been implemented had to be changed in some way.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
incorrect, they removed them so they could get elected by using bad planning, bad ideas, but pandering to the people. they did the opposite of any good decision; they wanted to get elected. and even then, they still didn't beat the Liberals.
Everything in politics is done for political gain. This applies to all parties and all politicians. Whether they are right wing or left wing.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 2:25 AM

12 car pile up on the PMB EB this afternoon. Luckily, I wasn't stuck in it. With all the crazies now taking the free bridge, accidents pretty much happen on that stretch every day. Commuters are now regretting that they got what they asked for. The tolls should have been reduced on the bridge but then tolls added at all the hwy access points East and West. That way everyone pays. However, I doubt mobility pricing is going anywhere but the deep six pile.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Liberals = 43
NDP = 41
43>41, therefore NDP still didn't beat the Liberals.

and that still proves my point; the only reason they decimated SoF is because of the promise to remove tolls. and i thought the Green Party was in favour of decreasing car use, though they did support this initiative which has drastically increased it.; go figure.
You said "in Metro Vancouver". And the Green Party was (and still is) definitely not in favour of removing the tolls:

Quote:
“Tolls are an excellent policy tool to manage transport demand. Transport demand management reduces pollution and emissions, alleviates congestion and helps pay for costly infrastructure. That’s why, at the negotiating table when preparing our Confidence and Supply Agreement, we ensured that a commitment was included to work with the Mayors’ Council consultation process to find a more fair and equitable way of funding transit for the long-term. We look forward to that commitment being met so that British Columbians can have an evidence-based, truly fair approach to this file.”

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
You said "in Metro Vancouver".
cant remember where i did but not that big of a deal.

Quote:
And the Green Party was (and still is) definitely not in favour of removing the tolls:
easy to say you are against something, but then have your actions do another. that way you can still "be against something" but use the convenient excuse of "well we are trying." in the mean time, traffic gets worse, GHG emissions go up, singe car use goes up, and accidents go up.

the NDP will never go for mobility pricing/tolling everything if they want to stay in power. especially when, for the announcement, it was "TOLL FREE BC." because people will reelect the guy who was saying "NO TOLLS FOR ANYONE!!!!!!" and then say, "well, there will now be tolls for everyone."

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 6:05 AM

Quote:
easy to say you are against something, but then have your actions do another.
And what exactly are the Greens "doing" contrary to what they say? They support bridge tolls, yet the dominant party of their coalition (NDP) does not - what are they supposed to do, shut the government down for the sake of this one issue?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 3:00 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
12 car pile up on the PMB EB this afternoon. Luckily, I wasn't stuck in it. With all the crazies now taking the free bridge, accidents pretty much happen on that stretch every day. Commuters are now regretting that they got what they asked for. The tolls should have been reduced on the bridge but then tolls added at all the hwy access points East and West. That way everyone pays. However, I doubt mobility pricing is going anywhere but the deep six pile.
More cars = more congestion and less room = people leaving less distance between them and surrounding cars = more rear-enders and multi-car collisions...

I have been almost rear-ended a few times as you have jerks tailgating me while going 100km/hr in the right lane.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 6:58 PM

If there are too many accident on a road then its because of design issue. Put up dynamic speed signs and congestion warning signs with led's that flash etc. If it is right that there are more accidents (and I have my doubts as some people are pushing various agendas) then the problem is traffic pattern changes and regular commuters set in their ways. Things will in that case improve, and in the meantime dynamic speed signs and congestion warning signs should be implemented along the number 1 from 200th to the north side of the iron workers memorial.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 5:46 AM

Interesting numbers from the PMB comparing 2016 to 2017

http://www.ticorp.ca/who-we-are/repo...affic-volumes/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:10 PM

Despite more traffic and crashes, Horgan says Port Mann tolls are gone for good

Read the rest of it here...

http://www.news1130.com/2017/10/12/t...rt-mann-tolls/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Despite more traffic and crashes, Horgan says Port Mann tolls are gone for good

Read the rest of it here...

http://www.news1130.com/2017/10/12/t...rt-mann-tolls/
Stupid pig-headed policy. I also like how "increased accidents won't lead to increased ICBC rates".

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Stupid pig-headed policy. I also like how "increased accidents won't lead to increased ICBC rates".
Maybe where this is heading is that ICBC will charge an extra $3 on your insurance policy for every trip you make across the Port Mann bridge...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Maybe where this is heading is that ICBC will charge an extra $3 on your insurance policy for every trip you make across the Port Mann bridge...
Tolling bridges is off the table according to Horgan. Maybe they will do nothing. The 2018 report findings will be very interesting...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure