HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:03 PM

Hollywood Photographs (1951)

I noticed the funky Mocambo sign on the side of the restaurant and didn't think that had been seen before.
A Mocambo search of NLA doesn't show this photo having been posted previously. The sign does appear in
this post #17699 in a long shot, but unless you were looking for the sign I don't think you'd notice it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:00 PM

I thought I was going to have to post this as a mystery location from Julius Shulman. It's "Job 1599: Stiles Oliver Clements, Libby and McNeil Plant, 1953".

Getty Research Institute

My initial searches only uncovered an early canning plant in Burbank, but the architect and the palm trees made me think it was in Los Angeles. Then I found this 1955 photo with the description "Aerial view of Libby, McNeill & Libby, a canning company. It is uncertain where this site is located, but it is believed to be in the city of Commerce."

LAPL

After a quick look around the area, I found the building at 2420 S Eastern Avenue, Commerce. They seem to have replaced the palm trees, but the building hasn't changed much.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
For anyone who remembers the 77 Sunset Strip tv show, this Connie Stevens song is invariably conjured up as the slim proof of their knowledge of the series. Hard to even call it a "song" actually. It was mainly a collection of Edd Byrnes reciting Kookie-like phrases such as "Gitchy" and "Reit" while Connie monotonously repeats "Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb..."
I'm pretty sure it didn't sweep the Grammys or get covered by the Boston Pops.

Perhaps in his old age, Edd Byrnes has the song playing incessantly on his 1959 hi-fi console as he shuffles around the house in his robe, sipping vodka directly from the bottle and remembering the good ole days. Just sayin'.
The song sold a million copies and got to Number 4 on Billboard's Hot One Hundred.

In the 80's and 90's, I used to see Edd Byrnes occassionally in Santa Monica. Possibly he lived there at the time.

The other celeb I used to see there around that time was Edd's contemporary David Nelson, son of Ozzie and Harriet.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Just for fun....

The following two photos show starlet Kathy Marlowe and an unnamed man on December 1, 1954.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...ure-id76667371

I've never heard of 'Kathy Marlowe' (and I don't recognize the unnamed man)

Whoever he was...he drove a nice sports car.

http://www.gettyimages.com/event/mic...ure-id76667285
__

Groundbreaking at the Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel, 1955

08-June 1955. Herman B. Sarno; Heidi Heidemann; Beverly Anderson; Kathy Marlowe; Jack Carson; Connie Towers; Byron Palmer. (Handout).
Supplementary material reads: "Foladare, Greer & Bock. 1741 Ivar Avenue. Hollywood 28, Cal. Tel: HO. 9-8136. The Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel broke ground yesterday (Wed.) for its new Sun and Cabana Club to be constructed adjoining the hotel. Participating in the rites were: (left to right) Herman B. Sarno, hotel president; Film starlets Heidi Heidemann, Beverly Anderson, and Kathy Marlowe; Comedian Jack Carson; Film Actress Connie Towers; and Singing star Byron Palmer".

Gawdawful promo. At least Carson knew enough to mug it up.

USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961

Plumbing exposition, 1958 (2)

30 June 1958. Kathy Marlowe, making out like a golden mermaid bath spout decoration (the company actually puts out a spout like that). Looks uncomfortable.

USC digital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:45 PM

1950s resemblances

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Groundbreaking at the Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel, 1955

08-June 1955. Herman B. Sarno; Heidi Heidemann; Beverly Anderson; Kathy Marlowe; Jack Carson; Connie Towers; Byron Palmer. (Handout).
Supplementary material reads: "Foladare, Greer & Bock. 1741 Ivar Avenue. Hollywood 28, Cal. Tel: HO. 9-8136. The Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel broke ground yesterday (Wed.) for its new Sun and Cabana Club to be constructed adjoining the hotel. Participating in the rites were: (left to right) Herman B. Sarno, hotel president; Film starlets Heidi Heidemann, Beverly Anderson, and Kathy Marlowe; Comedian Jack Carson; Film Actress Connie Towers; and Singing star Byron Palmer".

Gawdawful promo. At least Carson knew enough to mug it up.

USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961
Funny, but looking at this photo somewhat distracted, I thought that (from left to right) the first starlet was Marilyn Monroe, the second Jane Russel and the fourth Lauren Bacall...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:22 AM

2241 W. 24th Street

This is known as the home of L. T. Garnsey, who is first listed at this address in the 1903 City Directory:

fold3.com

He may have built the house in 1902. The January 6, 1902, Los Angeles Times shows Garnsey got a
building permit for a two-story, 10-room house at 2441 W. 25th Street, and the November 6, 1902,
Los Angeles Herald shows Garnsey spent $450 to build a barn at 224 W. 24th St, so perhaps those
listings contained typos.

Anyway, here's a slightly larger version of the photo of 2241 seen at the first link above:

Greater Los Angeles and Southern California (1906) @ Internet Archive

This photo of 2241 W. 24th Street appeared in the December 1908 The Architectural Record but appears
to have been taken prior to the photo in the 1906 book:

Internet Archive

Based on my search of building permits, the house on the NW corner of 24th and Cimarron Street (2227) may
have been built in 1907, so I'll put a c. 1906 date on this photo looking west from Cimarron at the north side
of 24th Street. At right is 2239, with 2241 next door:

489296 at Huntington Digital Library

According to the LA County Assessor, in 1929, at the rear of 2241 another home, 2241-1/2, was wedged between
the garages of 2239 and 2241. The two-story addition at the rear of 2239 (screen porch below, sleeping porch
above, according to the building permit) dates from 1928:

1950 Sanborn Map via ProQuest at LAPL

You can see 2241-1/2 at the rear between 2241 and 2239, which seems to be in bad shape in this undated view:

Bing

Eventually 2239 got to be such an eyesore that someone put a bag over it:

Google Earth

Both 2239 and 2241 look to be in good shape today. You can see the gated entrance to 2241-1/2 at the sidewalk:

May 2016 GSV

Here's 2241 in February 2014, when the house wasn't as blocked by trees as it is now. At some point, the right side
of the porch that extended east of the house was cut off, and the rest of the right side of the porch was enclosed:

GSV

This is 2241's garage in March 2015:

GSV

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's another...

Manhattan Beach, Calif. [1890s]

found back in Sept. 2016 on ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
I've been working on this one for a while and still can't provide a conclusive answer but this is what I did come up with: I showed the photo to Steve Meisenholder at the Manhattan Beach Historical Society and he agreed with several thoughts I had. First, the date is probably too early. There were really no buildings to speak of in the area that is now Manhattan Beach in the 1890s. Steve estimates the correct date to be around 1910. I thought the view was looking south along what is now Valley Drive. Valley Drive runs west of a greenbelt that contained the old Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad tracks until they were removed in the 1980s. That strip is now known as Veterans Parkway or The Greenbelt seen here:
Google Earth

I thought the location was looking south towards what is now Manhattan Beach Blvd. but Steve believes it is further south, looking towards the southern border with Hermosa Beach. The hillside on the left seems to support that. Also, the sign seen in the distance of the original photo, next to the two story building, may be the railroad sign at the Manhattan/Hermosa border.
Here is that approximate view today:
GSV

This is part of the reply I got from Steve:
"Hi Ian,
Here are a few more of my thoughts on the old photo. I want to clarify why there were houses along Longfellow Ave. in 1910. Longfellow was one of the streets laid out by Moses Sherman and Eli Clark in 1903 as part of their unsuccessful effort to establish a literary colony in the northern part of Hermosa Beach in 1903 to the east of Shakespeare Beach. Sherman and Clark had put in a trolley stop at Shakespeare Beach on their Los Angeles and Pacific (LAP) electrified railway line which which ran near the beach between Playa del Rey and Redondo Beach (begun in 1902 and completed in 1903).
Another thing about the old photo; I believe that East Railroad Dr. traverses the bridge on the right side of the RR tracks, to the north of the two story building."

Longfellow Ave can't be seen in the GSV but it intersects Valley Drive near the middle of the view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
I don't know what e_r's photo shows, but I don't think it shows either Manhattan or Hermosa Beach. There isn't enough sand,
and there are too many trees. Also, that steep hill in background looks out of place.

This photo looks north from just below 1st Street in south Manhattan Beach, c. 1927:

Manhattan Beach Historical Society
I enlarged the 1927 photo and added a couple of arrows. I'm sure many are aware of this but my post might have been a little confusing. The blue arrow indicates the Pacific Electric tracks and the red arrow points to the AT&SF tracks.

I believe Longfellow Ave is just out of view at the bottom of the photo but you can see that the land at the lower right corner seems to have a fair amount of greenery. The land east of the AT&SF line was used for farming before the houses were built so the soil is not particularly sandy there.

As far as the the hill on the left or lack thereof, here is a GSV looking east from just about where the tracks cross Gould Ave a few blocks south. Gould runs up to a high point at PCH about a 1/4 mile east which may be the highest elevation in Hermosa. So the hill is considerable here and the old photo could be a little deceptive?
GSV

Having made this argument, I'm still far from convinced myself. I go back and forth on it and for all I know, the original photo may be of Manhattan, Montana. I haven't looked into that.

Last edited by Bristolian; Apr 26, 2017 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:09 AM

19th century sidewalk pavement (Edited to eliminate need for panning)

Thanks to an online friend who goes by the name of Laurie Avocado, I have these photos taken in the Temple-Beaudry district.

This was the original photo that she had posted to our social media group. A tree blooms in Temple-Beaudry!

(Photo by Laurie Avocado. Full size image is here.)

I happened to observe that the sidewalk paving looked very old, and Laurie obliged with a closeup:

(Photo by Laurie Avocado. Full size original image is here.)

In LAPL's online collection of city directories, the Gray Brothers Artificial Stone Paving Company appears from 1890 through 1915, though since the collection is incomplete it could appear before or after that date range. But their address was 205 New High for only about four years between 1892 and 1896. Assuming Gray Brothers stopped using this logo stamp reasonably soon after vacating that address, we have here a remarkable remnant of 1890's paving work.

(Screengrab from the 1910 Baist Real Estate Atlas)

205 New High was known as the Fulton Block, and it dates from 1900 at the latest, appearing in the 1894 - 1900 set of Sanborn maps. Several different newspapers kept offices in the building, which was adjacent to the county court house, indicating that 205 served as a sort of conglomerate press room for reporters working the court house.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Apr 30, 2017 at 7:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:29 AM

Houses on 24th Street

Quote:
This is known as the home of L. T. Garnsey, who is first listed at this address in the 1903 City Directory:

fold3.com

He may have built the house in 1902. The January 6, 1902, Los Angeles Times shows Garnsey got a
building permit for a two-story, 10-room house at 2441 W. 25th Street, and the November 6, 1902,
Los Angeles Herald shows Garnsey spent $450 to build a barn at 224 W. 24th St, so perhaps those
listings contained typos.

Anyway, here's a slightly larger version of the photo of 2241 seen at the first link above:

Greater Los Angeles and Southern California (1906) @ Internet Archive

This photo of 2241 W. 24th Street appeared in the December 1908 The Architectural Record but appears
to have been taken prior to the photo in the 1906 book:

Internet Archive

Based on my search of building permits, the house on the NW corner of 24th and Cimarron Street (2227) may
have been built in 1907, so I'll put a c. 1906 date on this photo looking west from Cimarron at the north side
of 24th Street. At right is 2239, with 2241 next door:

489296 at Huntington Digital Library

According to the LA County Assessor, in 1929, at the rear of 2241 another home, 2241-1/2, was wedged between
the garages of 2239 and 2241. The two-story addition at the rear of 2239 (screen porch below, sleeping porch

You can see 2241-1/2 at the rear between 2241 and 2239, which seems to be in bad shape in this undated view:

Bing

Eventually 2239 got to be such an eyesore that someone put a bag over it:

Google Earth

Both 2239 and 2241 look to be in good shape today. You can see the gated entrance to 2241-1/2 at the sidewalk:

May 2016 GSV

Here's 2241 in February 2014, when the house wasn't as blocked by trees as it is now. At some point, the right side
of the porch that extended east of the house was cut off, and the rest of the right side of the porch was enclosed:

GSV

This is 2241's garage in March 2015:

GSV
Interesting photos and information on the 1903 house on 24th Street. Unfortunately that tacky iron security fencing detracts from the house's picturesqueness. HOWEVER, I find the "Early Los Angeles Southern Colonial" house next door at 2239 to be far more picturesque and architecturally unusual.
I well remember seeing that house at least 15 years ago...it was a wreck, peeling paint, old warped shutters hanging from the upper windows. A very strange woman lived there and she actually threatened me from behind her dark window and ran out & chased me off while I was trying to take a picture. "Don't you DARE take a picture!" (Took one anyway). I later conjectured she was either mentally ill or selling drugs or whatever and thought I was "surveilling" her castle.
What a pleasure to see that new owners have beautifully restored it - at least the facade - and beautifully spruced up the yard.
I also remember that there was another large, abandoned circa 1900 house a couple of blocks down the street that was literally collapsing in on itself as though melting. Can't imagine what would cause that to happen, especially in the mild Los Angeles climate...maybe it had burned & smoldered inside...no evidence of fire outside.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
Perhaps in his old age, Edd Byrnes has the song playing incessantly on his 1959 hi-fi console as he shuffles around the house in his robe, sipping vodka directly from the bottle and remembering the good ole days. Just sayin'.
I don't know. Edd Byrnes has always struck me as more of a bourbon man.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Interestingly, in the 77SS pilot episode "Girl On the Run"1958, Byrnes was cast as a hit man, complete with comb and hipster talk. It was filmed as a short movie at 71 min. and was given a big buildup. Apparently Byrnes' appearance generated so much adoring mail from young women that it was decided to cast him as a regular, in a somewhat more sympathetic role. "Like the blues in the night."!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
I dunno. In 77SS, it seemed Edd mainly stuck to beer / soda. Jeff Spenser and Stu Bailey were a bit more refined in their booze selections, usually opting for vodka gimlets. Don't see much of those anymore.

Edd Byrnes was also ahead of his time in A sartorial manner. His sweater pullovers look very similar to ones worn today. He had a special strip of black fabric sewn to the flip side of the collars that made them more apparent when they were turned upwards, as was cool for that time period.

Edd briefly got sideways with the Warner Bros. over his contract renewal. As a result, he was dropped from the show for a few episodes. Public outcry was so great that he was QUICKLY re-installed and promoted to detective status along with Stu and Jeff. In the interim, Robert Logan filled as parking attendant JR Hale and usually spoke in abbreviations, causing the listener to snap their fingers for a translation. Very odd.

With Kookie gone, Roscoe (Louis Quinn) and Suzanne (Jacqueline Beer) had their usually small roles pumped up a bit to fill in the absence of Edd Byrnes.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:

There's 27 pix of the little 1929, Spanish-style home at Zillow (it's recently sold). Some of the exterior ones detail the relationship between the home and its larger neighbors.

The front of the home:

Looking out towards W 24th:

..............................................................................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
....2239 to be far more picturesque and architecturally unusual.
I well remember seeing that house at least 15 years ago...it was a wreck, peeling paint, old warped shutters hanging from the upper windows. A very strange woman lived there and she actually threatened me from behind her dark window and ran out & chased me off while I was trying to take a picture.
Redfin has documented that home's current condition.

There's a video presentation too.

Too bad that a big, modern apartment building is across the street.

.................................................................................................

Nice find Those Who Squirm!

Where exactly is this?

via TWS

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 26, 2017 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:00 PM

Today's Julius Shulman subject location is a mystery. It's "Job 320: Stiles Oliver Clements, McClure House, 1948".

I assume this is a view of the rear.

Both from Getty Research Institute

It might not be in Los Angeles, but I think there's a good chance that it is/was. Maybe it just reminds me of some of the crime scene houses we've seen. Googling "McClure House" in Los Angeles just brings up pictures of a well-preserved Victorian, so does anyone recognize this property? The only clue is the "170" on the curb.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Today's Julius Shulman subject location is a mystery. It's "Job 320: Stiles Oliver Clements, McClure House, 1948".

Bet this is Hancock Park. More specifically, 170 S. June Street.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Bet this is Hancock Park. More specifically, 170 S. June Street.
According to Zillo:

170 S June St, Los Angeles, CA is a single family home that contains 8,954 sq ft and was built in 1990. It contains 7 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms. This home last sold for $1,375,000 in April 1988.

The Zestimate for this house is $5,617,182,
[maybe it was remodeled in 1990 or is this the wrong house].?

Redfin says.... Estimate for 170 S June St...built in 1990.
$7,478,778
+$6.1M since sold in 1988
Estimate based on 7 beds, 8 baths, 8,954 sq. ft.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:24 PM

Thanks, Tourmaline and CityBoyDoug. I'm not sure I'd have recognized the house even if I had found it.

GSV

It looks like there was quite a bit of work done on the house around 1988/89, although I can't find the BP for the alteration to the entrance. I also failed to find any reason for Mr Shulman's visit in 1948 (the house appears date from 1933). I did, however, find this 1960 alteration permit which contains the names of both Stiles & Robert Clements and John Q McClure.

Online Building Records

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:57 PM

Wow, that house is grotesque:

google maps

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Thanks, Tourmaline and CityBoyDoug. I'm not sure I'd have recognized the house even if I had found it.

GSV

It looks like there was quite a bit of work done on the house around 1988/89, although I can't find the BP for the alteration to the entrance. I also failed to find any reason for Mr Shulman's visit in 1948 (the house appears date from 1933). I did, however, find this 1960 alteration permit which contains the names of both Stiles & Robert Clements and John Q McClure.
I like the addition of the central front steps. But the added Hollywood-Mayan fluffiness around the entrance door seems to add nothing to this otherwise pleasant Spanish colonial home. Oh, well.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:09 PM

412 Ducommon Street

John Bengtson, over at Silent Locations, is looking for a clear photo of 412 Ducommon Street. It appeared in Buster Keaton's "Cops" (1922), DW Griffith's "Intolerance" (1916) / "The Mother and the Law" (1919) and other early films. It was demolished in 1923. The two-story, triangular building used to stand on the point of land where Ducommon and Labory met Alameda:

baist, 1910, plate 4

Buster Keaton "Cops" (1922) via John Bengtson

TCM/Max Sennett via John Bengtson

It's the one in the red oval on the right side of this C.C. Pierce shot:

usc dl (detail) via John Bengtson

I couldn't find anything in a search of the thread, but maybe you sleutheroos can find what he's looking for.

All gone now of course:

google maps

Bengtson's latest post contains an image from Bison Archives of the old Metro lot and environs, just south of Santa Monica Blvd (much discussed here), which I cannot stop looking at.

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 27, 2017 at 3:52 AM. Reason: fix link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos