HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 5:19 PM

Wink Vancouver did it before, and we can do it again

This a thread very likely to sink fast, but nevertheless, I would like to post a link about the Vancouver International festival, which ran from 1958 to 1968.

The festival, after three first years of what an older musician from Sweden, a recent immigrant at that time, referred to as being "as highbrow as you could get," diminished in quality and scope due to funding and other considerations, such as a move away from great classical works, away to more "pop" music, and shorter, lesser festivals, finally to finish rather a shadow of the first years, most notably 1959.

However, my point is that if (with sufficient funding $$$, and there are people to ask...) Vancouver had the capacity - and it had - to put together such high-end, performances ....... it can do it again.

I would encourage anyone interested to read about the festival, concentrating on years 58,59, 60, and see if it sparks any positive ideas in anybody. Thank you for your time and consideration.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...onal-festival/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment