HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 5:00 PM

570 Stradbrook's foundation walls have reached grade level, this project has quite a large foot print..nice addition to the Western side of the Village..

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
570 Stradbrook's foundation walls have reached grade level, this project has quite a large foot print..nice addition to the Western side of the Village..
I feel that corner dodged a bullet.

Original plan:

What's being built:

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 12:09 AM

IIRC at first they either only had the one lot, or were planning two smaller buildings hence why the first one was smaller. Then they decided to combine the two (or 3) lots.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I feel that corner dodged a bullet.

Original plan:

What's being built:
If I had any word on the actual design, I would lean toward this as well.

---

Your right Buzz, they combined multiple lots into one structure..

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 3:58 PM

Over on r/reddit some are think AA is close to closing? Also didnt know until seeing that thread that Black Rabbit closed already?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 5:31 PM

American Apparel (AA) is bankrupt globally. All Canadian and UK stores are closing. It is not just limited to the Village.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Over on r/reddit some are think AA is close to closing? Also didnt know until seeing that thread that Black Rabbit closed already?
Back in early October, Black Rabbit closed until the 21st. The 21st came and went, the place remained closed, and eventually the signs came down from the windows. I'd heard they were having problems for a while so it's not a huge surprise. It is a shame, though. Their quality had dropped off recently but they were, for a while, one of my favorite restaurants.

As for overall OV retail vacancies, I want to take up that discussion in this thread. Esquire wondered whether OV was becoming a victim of a healthier Exchange district. That could be true--Tiny Feast has filled most of the void left by Desart, for example. And clothing chains looking to open on the city (as opposed to in a mall or the suburbs) seem far more interested in the Exchange than OV. Were AA to open in Winnipeg today, I'd bet on them opening in the Exchange over Osborne. Kit and Ace, a chain that insists on opening downtown locations, is a prime example of what the Exchange can and will draw.

That said, I'm not sure we couldn't have strong Exchange district and OV retail, even in a similar market. For example, the AA building, with its multiple vacant floors, is exactly the kind of building where you would find a Zara or Topshop in another city. The trouble is that Osborne Village doesn't have the sustained retail density to draw more retailers. We've all wrung our hands enough over how Osborne Village is basically a block long. Its dumpy hinterland south of Stradbrook is not going to draw any retail chains. And like I've mentioned before, the setback rules on Osborne make building anything new borderline impossible.

Osborne has been increasing its population density and wealth recently, which should be granting it the means to support more retail options even as other people choose to visit the exchange instead. But, ironically, without several more spaces like Desart and AA over the length of Osborne, it doesn't have the space to become a good retail draw. Also ironically, the wealthier demographic of the neighborhood is unlikely to support the return of anything like Collective Cabaret/die Maschine.

Last edited by biguc; Nov 22, 2016 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 5:19 AM

since the building black rabbit was in seems to be hard to make a go at, I would love if someone took the time to kick the tires at redeveloping it along with the surface lot to the south into a 4-5 floor multi-use structure. would be a great shot in the arm for the village!

Last edited by Jeff; Nov 22, 2016 at 7:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:29 AM
surely you agree with me

^such a great patio though. Someone should be able to make a go of that space.

Great post Biguc. Lots to think about there. I'm going to look into it more. Could be an interesting column.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:30 AM
surely you agree with me

Corydon is also struggling.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:43 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
American Apparel (AA) is bankrupt globally. All Canadian and UK stores are closing. It is not just limited to the Village.
UK stores are closing but there hasnt been an announcement about the Canadian stores. They likely will close but it depends on how the auction plays out. A Canadian buyer has offered to purchase inventory and the name but not the store leases. But someone could still come out and buy the retail. Unlikely but possible.

Hopefully someone finds that space attractive.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:46 AM

seems like only an earls-sized patio would sell this place. both of these traditional dense neighbourhoods are experiencing great residential densification (corydon/Osborne) but the retail is stagnating.. hmmm.. maybe a few landlords are being selfish/fishy. look at Sherbrook and the exchange for the new shifting tastes. something should give.

Last edited by Jeff; Nov 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Hopefully someone finds that space attractive.
I would love to see the building split into two units on the ground floor if at all possible. the village doesn't need huge spaces. its another good business incubator neighbourhood.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
both of these traditional dense neighbourhoods are experiencing great residential densification (corydon/Osborne) but the retail is stagnating.. hmmm.. maybe a few landlords are being selfish/fishy. look at Sherbrook and the exchange for the new shifting tastes. something should give.
As has been mentioned, I'm sure that recent growth in other popular urban neighbourhoods (WB, Exchange) has probably resulted in the pie being sliced into ever thinner pieces. But I'm sure that online shopping has taken a toll too... American Apparel hit the bigtime in the 00s, right before online shopping became a huge deal. I'm sure if they were starting out today there would be less reliance on bricks and mortar, so there's that too.

If there's any consolation, I'd say it's that at least in the case of Corydon, it was never really a retail destination beyond a few small boutiques (florist, swimsuit shop, etc.), it was always more about the restaurants, lounges and cafes. Osborne has typically had more retail so the difficulties are more obvious there.

I wonder if it's simply a case of the increased density being insufficient to trigger significant changes at the storefront retail level? It's not like there have really been any highrises built in those areas lately... all of the 4 storey buildings can only take a neighbourhood so far.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 1:29 PM

while i hope the best for osborne, the exchange still needs the incentives, and i hope it thrives more than OV it is really tunrning into something. Osborne is turning into a "through-fare" traffic disaster only. the intimacy is gone. walk along it and it is a wasteland... Osborne is a DUMP!

Last edited by Jeff; Nov 22, 2016 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 2:31 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Corydon is also struggling.
Corydon restaurants doubled down on Sushi when its popularity spiked. It was only a matter of time before that trend petered out.

I think both Corydon and Osborne are in a bit of a transition. They might be a victim of their past success in that the rents are currently too high. Things will normalize and new ventures will open.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Corydon restaurants doubled down on Sushi when its popularity spiked. It was only a matter of time before that trend petered out.

I think both Corydon and Osborne are in a bit of a transition. They might be a victim of their past success in that the rents are currently too high. Things will normalize and new ventures will open.
I wonder how successful Corydon and Osborne could really have been said to be? Even at its peak (whenever that was), Corydon was still at the end of the day a strip comprised mainly of mom and pop restaurants. It was never exactly Fifth Avenue. Was this simply a case of landlords getting dollar signs in their eyes at the first signs of an area's success?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 3:05 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder how successful Corydon and Osborne could really have been said to be? Even at its peak (whenever that was), Corydon was still at the end of the day a strip comprised mainly of mom and pop restaurants. It was never exactly Fifth Avenue. Was this simply a case of landlords getting dollar signs in their eyes at the first signs of an area's success?
My memories of Corydon as a 16-25 year old seem to be of it being a much more "place to be" type vibe for eating and drinking. Of course, I am WAY out of the game now. But I spent a lot of fuzzy evenings there back in the day.

Osborne has always been a bit of a mix to me of retail, food and booze. I think American Apparel opening up was cool in terms of having a big chain there - but obviously wasn't really an accurate reflection of what kinds of retailers that stretch can expect to support long term.

Both streets need to refocus on local, small time businesses. Go back to the basics. Both areas have huge local populations just waiting to be drawn back in. OV especially has had a never ending amount of higher density infill over the past decade.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 5:15 PM

Good write-up there biguc.

So is the space Black Rabbit occupied too big to make a bar/restaurant work? (Similar to the problem the old Dylans/StJames Tap House location has?) Shame because the patio is great.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 7:10 PM

Thanks, cutchemist. As I understand it, Basil's had some problems towards the end of its run that weren't entirely the fault of the people running it. And the Black Rabbit owners also bought Bistro 7 1/4 and ran it into the same troubles Black Rabbit suffered: declining quality and inability to pay their staff.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the space. It is big, but it's not so big that it can't work. If anything, I'd say one of Black Rabbit's mistakes was closing the dining room in the evening and leaving only the lounge open. Why not maximize earning potential off the whole space? The Yellow Dog, for example, doesn't close its annex at night, unless it's really quiet.

So, while I like the building, its patio, and think that it's more than viable, I also wouldn't be choked if something like what Jeff suggested happened--someone redevelops the building at the parking lot to its south. That would be a shot in the arm to the street.

I also tend to agree with Drew, AA was an anomaly. While OV BIZ might gets its shit together and try to force the kinds of improvements the street would need to draw more big retailers--and I would love it if they did--they can also rely on smaller businesses serving the large local community, which has traditionally been their bread and butter.

Esquire also brought up West Broadway, which I don't think is going to matter to Osborne Village in the medium term but is connected to its current growing pains. The West Broadway crowd is dominated by people who frequented the Village 5 years ago but have since been displaced as cheap rentals have turned into condominiums. For the record, I like the Village better with them gone, but between their departure and the influx of bland yuppies that replaced them, the Village has become dreadfully square. After Dark and Upstairs are dull affairs. Corydon got lost in this wilderness years ago, but for all that it's struggling, it's showing signs of life these days. Roost is one of the better spots in the city, for example.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan