HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 10:42 PM

Advice for moving to MTL?

Greetings MTL forumers!

I was hoping to get a bit of advice:

I am moving to Montreal for a Masters program at McGill in the fall this year. McGill is a great school for my program and my times in Montreal previously have been incredible, it is such an interesting and vibrant place. I can't wait to explore the city in greater detail for the next few years. I am particularly excited to build some more experience with French (taking classes at McGill) and being immersed in a different culture for a while.

My problem: I don't know where to live and much about the various areas of the city. There is many, many areas that seem really interesting, but it is hard to gauge without walking around and experiencing it for myself. As I am some 4,000km away, this is a difficult task

Some of my interests:
  • I am a professional in my late 20s. (i.e. I am not a poor student, but living in cheaper, younger/student areas are perfectly fine)
  • I like to walk / cycle as much as possible (preferably reasonably close to McGill). Metro access is good too.
  • Enjoy cafes/pubs & music nearby. Patios and street life are great to be near to.

My very limited set of requirements means that there are many areas to rent in that could fit what I am looking. There is so many apartment/roommate ads all over the city that I don't know how to filter them down to something more reasonable to deal with.

Any advice from locals? Any details about certain areas that I should check out? General tips on moving there will be appreciated!

Merci!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal