HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 12, 2003, 10:53 PM
Portsmouth Correspondent.

Hey guys this place has gone silent!
Where is everyone??

Old Posted Sep 16, 2003, 7:00 AM

some mall renovation

Old Posted Sep 16, 2003, 3:21 PM

where is it?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2003, 3:48 PM

where is it?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2003, 6:07 PM

Mong Kok KCR, Grand Century =D

Old Posted Sep 16, 2003, 11:42 PM
Guru

hmm.. i remember they used to have a robot conductor there and a fountain.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2003, 3:36 AM
Hong Kong

New World `plans 60-storey hotel'
Raymond Wang

New World Development plans to build a five-star, 60-storey hotel next to its New World Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui, sources said.

Analysts estimate the 500-room hotel and shopping mall will cost between HK$1.8 billion and HK$2 billion to build, representing HK$1,800 to HK$2,000 per square foot. Total gross floor area would be about one million square feet.

A report in Hong Kong Economic Journal yesterday did not say when construction was likely to start or be completed.

New World Development is a major player in the territory's hospitality industry and already operates three five-star hotels in prime tourist districts - the 542-room New World Renaissance Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, the 860-room Renaissance Harbour View Hotel in Wan Chai and the 570-room Grand Hyatt, also in Wan Chai. The new hotel's location would provide quick access to the Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation's (KCRC) East Rail Tsim Sha Tsui extension, which is due to be completed next year.

New World Development shares fell 0.78 per cent to close at HK$6.35 yesterday.

Meanwhile, analysts say they expect an increasing number of hotels to change hands in the second half of this year as mainland tourists are boosting demand for moderately priced rooms and adding value to hotel properties.

Industry sources say one of the first to be sold could be Far East Consortium's Dorsett Garden Hotel in Jordan, which has been the subject of negotiations.

A potential buyer is said to have made an offer of HK$130 million for the 100-room three-star hotel, representing HK$1.3 million per room, which is 30 per cent higher than market expectations.

Separately, it is understood toys tycoon Francis Choi is in talks with Regal chairman Lo Yuk-sui about buying the 800-room Regal Riverside Hotel in Sha Tin after Choi bought the Regal Oriental, near the former Kai Tak airport, for HK$350 million last month.

Last week, locally listed Magnificent Estates bought a hotel site in North Point from Lai Sun Garment (International) chairman Lim Por-yen for HK$230 million.

17 September 2003 / 01:41 AM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2003, 10:11 AM

Location: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People's Republic of China & London, UK
Great updates from everybody!! Thank you all for keeping me informed!!
I'm now studying in the UK and so wasn't able to browse this site so often.

Hey please take the night photo of Harbourside at night for everybody here!! Cheers!!

(PS. if IFC2 lights up please tell me)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2003, 12:13 PM

Now Hong Kong's getting a Disneyland. What's next? A space launch pad?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2003, 1:54 PM
Yumiko is the BEST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCom
Now Hong Kong's getting a Disneyland. What's next? A space launch pad?
Hong Kong will get NOTHING next!

The NIMBY here getting very mighty. They have stopped the Causeway Bay harbourfront development plan which essentially kill the new exhibition center.

Now they're trying to stop the Central reclamation Phase 3, which is intent to provide a crucial new bypass to solve the very serious gridlock.

The next step is the Kai Tak redevelopment, and the new liner terminal is likely to be cancelled.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2003, 2:13 PM

Well I don't think Hong Kong will get nothing just because of the cancelations of these reclamations. Most new developments are now concentrated in Kowloon (i.e. Union Square), N.T (i.e. Hau Hoi Wan Bridge) and Lantau (i.e. pearl delta bridge). Hong Kong Island is basically developed, unless they knock old buildings down.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2003, 9:09 PM
Time in the Quantum Foam

i think the central reclamation will happen, and Kai Tak has too much potential to develop as major (relocation) for cruise terminals for it not to happen

Old Posted Sep 17, 2003, 11:21 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov
Great updates from everybody!! Thank you all for keeping me informed!!
I'm now studying in the UK and so wasn't able to browse this site so often.

Hey please take the night photo of Harbourside at night for everybody here!! Cheers!!

(PS. if IFC2 lights up please tell me)
Where in the UK Rach? Are you in London??

Old Posted Sep 18, 2003, 4:54 AM

its amazing how much money that guy uses to sue the gov't to stop the central reclamation(10million) ... why doesn't he go plant some trees in much needed areas instead ...
its ironic ... because when aig, pp3, 4season are finished ... the gridlock is only going to get worst ... and the result is more pollution and more crowded and worst for pedestrians ...
parts of wanchai reclamation i can do without ... but the central one is very much needed ...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2003, 5:33 AM

Wanchai Mini-soho gets a mini-cultural-facelift ...
i am guessing this will coincide
with pacific place 3 and the admiralty station extension

Land ahoy! Ship Street for $15m facelift
Dennis Ng

The government is ready to spend up to HK$15 million transforming Ship Street in Wan Chai into a tourist attraction.
After considering 47 entries for the project's architectural design, Wan Chai District Council has selected Jadl Design as consultant for the street's renovation.
The project is expected to be completed in about nine months.
``People interested in knowing more about Hong Kong history can come and walk the road [after the revitalisation project],'' Jadl Design director Joanlin Au said.
Wave-patterned paving will beckon visitors through the entrance to Ship Street and take them to an art gallery of nautical history.
A display on the development of the shipping industry in Hong Kong and a commemorative plaque will complement the exhibition.
To enhance the nautical atmosphere, the street will also feature recycled marine equipment such as ship propellers.
A small theatre will take the place of the current Ship Street playground where the designers plan to place a 19th-century clipper as a key feature, with the ship's deck acting as a stage and viewing platform.
Clippers, fast sailing ships, were regular visitors to Hong Kong in the 19th century.
After the theatre, visitors will enter a zone where the floor will depict marine charts.
At the end of the street there will be a set of steps featuring the names of military ships that have called into Hong Kong in the past.
Ship Street was one of the earliest public streets in Hong Kong after it was ceded to the British and has a century of colourful stories to tell.
The street was named after a European shipyard and foundry that was located in the area.
Au said one of the biggest challenges was finding accurate information on the nature of the street, particularly photographs and pictures.
To reduce construction costs, Au said street furniture, such as the propellers, would be obtained from shipyards in Hong Kong and China where old ships were being dismantled.
The project consultant is preparing tender documents and the ground-breaking is scheduled to take place in November.
``In the past, the district councils had no chance to lead community projects, but this time we do,'' Wan Chai District Council member Ada Wong said.
Wan Chai District Council chairman Peggy Lam said she hoped the renovated Ship Street would lift the area's economy by attracting people to spend money in nearby shops.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2003, 7:56 AM
Time in the Quantum Foam

central reclamation will happen--

Old Posted Sep 18, 2003, 11:30 AM
Unidentified

Comparing to the old crazy mega plan,i think the current plan of the central reclamation is acceptable.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2003, 2:17 PM
JonasWestVan

Well that guy said he support the reclamation for the road but not more extra development that have to use reclaimed land

Old Posted Sep 19, 2003, 10:22 AM
Asia's world city

those reclamations are important to Hong Kong!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2003, 10:28 AM
Unidentified

most of the reclamation land will be use to build the underground highway and big park,and i think the park can bring people to get closer to the harbour,i believe hk people will enjoy it....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations