HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
new plaza Colonnade @ Merivale
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__81WR5F

The purpose of this application is to seek approval for the development of a 2,787 m2 one-storey retail building with a surface parking lot for 178 parking spaces

http://www.colonnadedevelopment.com/...d=149&hl=en_US

http://www.colonnadedevelopment.com/...il_jan2012.pdf

Anchored by 'terra20'
http://www.terra20.com/
My opinion on that: Place on hold. Ensure that stores are fronting Merivale (to allow for further redevelopment to push towards mainstreet arterial) and parking lots front Colonnade (being an industrial collector, there is no benefit of stores facing it). Eliminate the direct access from Merivale north of Colonnade - cars would be forced onto Colonnade to access the site.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 2:21 AM
National Capital Region

Anyone else see any irony in an eco-products store setting up shop in a single-use single-storey asphalt-intensive development on Ottawa's most car-oriented road with sub-par transit service and poor cycling access?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 2:51 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
new plaza Colonnade @ Merivale
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__81WR5F

The purpose of this application is to seek approval for the development of a 2,787 m2 one-storey retail building with a surface parking lot for 178 parking spaces

http://www.colonnadedevelopment.com/...d=149&hl=en_US

http://www.colonnadedevelopment.com/...il_jan2012.pdf

Anchored by 'terra20'
http://www.terra20.com/
Finally! A power centre was just what that area was lacking!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 9:48 PM

After rethinking an ideal area structural plan, I would REJECT the proposed development. There are plenty of open boxes farther up Merivale to develop or redevelop. That land should be rezoned as institutional.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 12:16 AM
Awesome!

I hope they keep enough space for a potential cross-town rapid transit corridor there.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
I hope they keep enough space for a potential cross-town rapid transit corridor there.
Wrong side of Colonnade Road, but I agree. That land should be completely rezoned anyway - there is plenty of open land and open boxes farther north on Merivale as stores go out of business. How about the half-empty Merivale Mall (which IMO should be torn down)?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:59 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Wrong side of Colonnade Road, but I agree. That land should be completely rezoned anyway - there is plenty of open land and open boxes farther north on Merivale as stores go out of business. How about the half-empty Merivale Mall (which IMO should be torn down)?
When did Merivale Mall become half-empty? The quality of the tenants inside the mall has gone down but it's far from the state of, say, Barrhaven Mall was at when it was torn down. It's not like you can just tear down parts of it and leave the YMCA and Tailgators continuing operations during that time.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 10:02 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
South side of Colonnade looks to be very tight for a BRT corridor so that's why I was thinking of the north side
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:14 PM

Do they have any of the tenants already lined up? I noticed that some of the buildings say they will be used for "anchor" tenants. Perhaps a large Nike or Rebook outlet?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 12:05 AM

I'm guessing that really tall hotel/condo tower from a few years back proposed for this are is kaput? I recall people mles away didn't like the height. Thankfully, they'll just be hetting glorious 1-storey retail outlets and 2,000 parking spots, rather than traffic-causing tall buildings.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 12:20 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I'm guessing that really tall hotel/condo tower from a few years back proposed for this are is kaput? I recall people mles away didn't like the height. Thankfully, they'll just be hetting glorious 1-storey retail outlets and 2,000 parking spots, rather than traffic-causing tall buildings.
And worst thing, the traffic will be worst. Imagine the jam during the Christmas rush and other busy periods and during Sens games at the same time. Even with the extension of Campeau, it will be chaotic until the Transitway gets built.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 12:22 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
that site is at 417/Terry Fox.. approved at 15 floors IIRC
here's the thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140059

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:59 PM

I would conditionally approve that project, based on further stormwater assessment. Realistically, that kind of centre will not be transit-intensive, and should not necessary be situated adjacent to the transit station. Rather than have another Terry Fox mess, I would focus the intensification at other sites. (Also, if the Transitway is extended westward onto a more intense site, that should become the main transit hub for Kanata)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:38 PM
National Capital Region

original West Terrace plan

kanata west concept plan (demonstration plan)

source: http://www.dramatispersonae.org/Demo...ngineering.htm

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Feb 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 11:14 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
I would conditionally approve that project, based on further stormwater assessment. Realistically, that kind of centre will not be transit-intensive, and should not necessary be situated adjacent to the transit station.
Well as shown in Waterloowarrior's post, this WILL be located next to a transit station, so there might was well be an effort to make it as integrated as possible with that station.

Here's a quick edit of the proposal to show my thoughts:

Last edited by TransitZilla; Feb 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Well as shown in Waterloowarrior's post, this WILL be located next to a transit station, so there might was well be an effort to make it as integrated as possible with that station.

Here's a quick edit of the proposal to show my thoughts:

I like your proposal better, especially the stormwater pond moved to near the interchange in the wasted land. I do like the illuminated pedestrian bridge idea with a direct connection to Scotiabank Place (although with strict parking restrictions on event days). The transit corridor should be on the east side with direct pedestrian overpasses as well, but no local bus loops (the site would not be a focal point for the area).

Since neither Campeau or Huntmar I would classify as mainstreet arterials (both are suburban minor arterials), street frontage is not necessary IMO.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:27 AM

Sweet gentle Moses on a Moses-stick, even by the appallingly bad standards, such as they are, of Ottawa, that's awful.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Sweet gentle Moses on a Moses-stick, even by the appallingly bad standards, such as they are, of Ottawa, that's awful.
I think we would all be worried here if you said you liked it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I am sure its just a matter of time before people start speaking out aginst this project.
As they should - the last thing this city needs is more urban sprawl into prime agriculture land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs