HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 2:32 AM

New 'Gastropub' at Woodwards.

Post and photos/pictures from: http://scoutmagazine.ca/2009/10/14/n...iron-building/

Quote:
This is interesting. The Adelphia Group (think the Dover Arms pub and both the Caprice and Celebrities nightclubs) is applying to the City to open a 150 seat liquor primary “gastropub” on the ground floor of the W43 “Flatiron” tower in the new Woodwards development (142-148 West Cordova).
Open from 10am to 2am daily, the “gastropub” (no official name yet) concept “is based on the commitment to quality food. Our food menu will be a focus for us and our food service will match the quality of our beverage service. Quality food service will be available during our entire opening hours.” Did you get that, folks? Food food quality quality, and then more food. Though they had wanted to be pouring in time for the Olympics, they’re now hoping for June. See an artist’s rendering of the proposed 50 seat patio from the promotional materials after the leap…

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 2:38 AM

I don't get it. Can you even have a pub without greasy, fatty, salty, gross, food ?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 2:47 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

They will be taking up 3 of the retail units in the W43 tower, the plans look pretty good. Hopefully a little competition will force the Cambie to proceed with it's redevelopment.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 3:01 AM
Shoebox Dweller

If this trendification of the DTES continues, I may just have to make it my destination of choice. Lesser douchbaggery than Granville Street, less strangeness than Yaletown, and less hipsterness than Main or Commercial. I like.

I think that this area is starting to turn into a really strong student hangout area. I think that you can point at SFU for a good amount of contribution for that (discussed in a thread a couple of weeks ago that we need a university downtown to create better night life).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:17 AM

It looks great! We need more of these in the city.

But I wouldn't be surprised if some residents complained about it....as well as some noise from the DTES activists that this is gentrification or corporatism is invading their neighbourhood and that everything should stay the same...bleh.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:20 AM

Unless, perhaps, if the business tenants take a pledge to hire DTES people who are showing the desire to turnaround as part of a labour/re-training program?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:25 AM

There are already places around there...it would be between The Cambie and The Bourbon. Two pretty good places to meet normal people (despite the shitty looking location and interior). Likewise, there are plenty of other nice places around Gastown that are quite good...but overpriced in general.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 6:41 AM
Dérive-r

Looks great to me. I'll definitely have to check it out sometime. This should only serve to strengthen that section of Cordova which is already something of a nightlife strip with The Cambie, The Met, The Bourbon, Club 23 West, and The Blarney Stone all within a few blocks of each other (and many others nearby).

I'm happy about having more options as Gastown has been my nightlife area of choice for the last few years, specifically for some of the reasons Spork has already mentioned. And I agree about the area being a big student hangout. This has been the case already for years but in the last year or two things have really picked up around there. This stretch of Cordova is already very mainstream and now this is even happening to parts of Hastings. I went to Funky Winker Beans (next to Save On Meats) in September for the first time in several months and I was shocked to see that they now have a regular DJ Saturday nights and even charge cover. At least the pitchers are still $11.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 12:57 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Looks great to me. I'll definitely have to check it out sometime. This should only serve to strengthen that section of Cordova which is already something of a nightlife strip with The Cambie, The Met, The Bourbon, Club 23 West, and The Blarney Stone all within a few blocks of each other (and many others nearby).

I'm happy about having more options as Gastown has been my nightlife area of choice for the last few years, specifically for some of the reasons Spork has already mentioned. And I agree about the area being a big student hangout. This has been the case already for years but in the last year or two things have really picked up around there. This stretch of Cordova is already very mainstream and now this is even happening to parts of Hastings. I went to Funky Winker Beans (next to Save On Meats) in September for the first time in several months and I was shocked to see that they now have a regular DJ Saturday nights and even charge cover. At least the pitchers are still $11.
It would be great to see one of your famous photo threads of this area's nightlife, to compliment your Granville nightlife thread.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 3:13 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Construction is moving along and they are hoping for a mid Aug opening but I would guess Sept would be more accurate. Also they have named the place "The Charles" to be honest I'm not digging the name but I won't hold it against them.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 3:37 AM

seems like its been going on for months - thought it would be open by now

I wonder if we can treat wendy to a dinner there

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 4:47 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Is "Gastro Pub" a good term? I hear it and I think of a pub that the food is going to do a number on my gastrointestinal system.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 4:52 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Is "Gastro Pub" a good term? I hear it and I think of a pub that the food is going to do a number on my gastrointestinal system.
It is short for Gastronomy Pub...

gas·tron·o·my
   /gæˈstrɒnəmi/ Show Spelled[ga-stron-uh-mee] Show IPA
–noun
the art or science of good eating.
a style of cooking or eating.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gastronomy

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
thats what i think too

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 5:34 AM

it's been something bandied about on tv food shows, especially in restaurant makeover shows, to dress up the appeal of pub food. They essentially serve higher scale pub food.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 1:02 AM

Another location I know of, which is opening Friday Dec 3, is the "The Helm Vancouver" on Howe Street, which is labeling itself as a Gastro-Pub or Supperclub. Not to sure what to think of these pubs, which traditionally by virtue do not serve hamburgers or classic pub food.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 9:05 PM
Dérive-r

I ended up having lunch here one afternoon in October. We sat on the patio so I didn't get much of a feel for the place but it looked nice enough inside (a bit "upscale"-generic a la Cactus Club, inoffensive, but not much character/soul). One novely that caught my eye is how the booths all had their own TVs at the end of the table. I wouldn't mind going back with some friends to have a few drinks and watch a Canucks game, give it another try during the evening and actually sit inside.

The food was about what I expected. Nothing groundbreaking but tasty enough and luckily not as overpriced as some of these places can be.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining