HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 1:26 AM

the new york times: If Meals Won Medals

If Meals Won Medals

By SAM SIFTON
Published: February 2, 2010

VANCOUVER, British Columbia

AS breakfasts go, it’s not much to look at, just a small plastic container of maple-glazed smoked salmon bits. There is a sourdough roll to go with it, and a cup of hot coffee with cream.

Eating them together here on a dock in False Creek, though, with low clouds scudding over a hedge of green-glass buildings across the water, past Stanley Park in the distance, is to experience something of the solemn, awestruck joy that the philosopher Edmund Burke called the sublime. Above the skyline, to the north and west, mountains rise into a darkening sky as bathtub ferryboats chug past beneath them on still saltwater the color of slate. Gulls come close, beg for scraps. They won’t get any.

Vancouver is a terrific place to eat. It is diverse and exciting in its culinary offerings. But a simple breakfast taken on the pier outside the Granville Island Public Market is an important stop for any wayfaring food pilgrim. The fish — ruddy and cold-smoked, a taste of British Columbia for centuries, best purchased at Longliner Seafoods in the main shed — is a sweet-sour-salty baseline from which we can measure the region’s best meals.

I was on the dock in late January, an advance man for the more than two million people organizers say will descend on Vancouver and its environs for the 2010 Winter Games, which run from Feb. 12 to 28. While in the city and its suburbs, I fed as if in danger of imminent execution. And I was able to confirm earlier reconnaissance: Vancouver is among the best eating towns in the history of the Winter Games.

Not least of the reasons for this is that Vancouver, with more than two million residents, is among the largest metropolitan areas to host the Winter Games. There are a lot of people cooking here.

And they are a mixed lot. Poised geographically and psychologically between Asia and Europe, running on reserves of Hong Kong cash and American corporate interests, on surpluses of immigration and dreams, Vancouver is what the novelist William Gibson, who lives here, calls “radically multicultural.” That is excellent for food.

So are good ingredients. And Vancouver, which sticks like a mittened hand out into the cold waters of the Strait of Georgia, has these in reserve: marvelous agricultural products from the rich land of the Fraser River valley to its east, and the bounty of the western sea.

The potlatch tradition of the Pacific Northwest, said Ed Pitoniak, a former hotel executive here who is one of the region’s most eloquent tutors, “owes a lot to the fact that this land- and seascape has always been rich in protein: shellfish, swimming fish, game, fowl.” The best food in Vancouver, he continued, comes out of that bounty. It comes from cooks, he said, who “want their foods to taste of this sea and those hills.”

The most ravenous visitors to this marvelous, temperate city will begin their culinary touring almost from the moment they land at Vancouver International Airport on Sea Island in suburban Richmond, where a vast Asian enclave is growing.

The city’s central Chinatown has fallen on hard times; it is pockmarked with empty storefronts and dodgy hotels, grim restaurants serving wan broth. But out in Richmond the dim sum palaces are thriving, along with the strip-mall noodle huts and Chinese supermarkets, the tea parlors and barbecue dives. It would take weeks to negotiate them all.

The best place to start is where many finish: at Chen’s Shanghai. Chen’s is a charmless-looking little soup-dumpling shop in the middle of a mini-mall. But it serves terrific cold seaweed, thin, soft strips of kelp dressed in soy and black vinegar, with smashed garlic, and addictive cold steamed shrimp, spicy and sweet in their bright pink flesh.

It is for the restaurant’s steamed soup buns that most have come (and why the room is packed from well before the lunch hour until long after it ends). These are beautiful wrapped dumplings with delicate skin and a soft pork interior surrounded by a powerfully delicious broth. They can erase all memories of missed connections, lost luggage, the cramp of an airplane seat.

Slightly higher on the Mr. Clean-o-meter is Shanghai River, a magnificent Shanghainese restaurant on the ground floor of an office building. The dining room is filled from midmorning until well after dark: prosperous Asian retirees giving way to families and dates. Soup dumplings bring many of them here as well: crab-topped beauties holding luxuriant broth. But the restaurant’s black vinegar spare ribs with pine nuts are reason to swoon: addictive jet-black nuggets of fried sweet and sour porkiness that can float a fellow into the city on a cloud of happiness.

full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/di...note.html?8dpc

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 1:28 AM

the "top 10" from the article - has being reported on Global news etc...

Quote:
The Restaurants

CHEN’S SHANGHAI RESTAURANT 8095 Park Road (No. 3 Road), Richmond; (604) 304-8288.

GUU WITH GARLIC 1698 Robson Street (Bidwell Street), Vancouver; (604) 685-8678.

MAENAM 1938 West Fourth Avenue (Cypress Street), Vancouver; (604) 730-5579.

MARKET BY JEAN-GEORGES at the Shangri-La Hotel, 1128 West Georgia Street (Thurlow Street), Vancouver; (604) 689 1120.

THE POURHOUSE 162 Water Street (Cambie Street), Vancouver; (604) 568-7022.

REFUEL NEIGHBOURHOOD RESTAURANT & BAR 1944 West Fourth Avenue (Cypress Street), Vancouver; (604) 288-7905.

SHANGHAI RIVER 110-7831 Westminster Highway (No. 3 Road), Richmond; (604) 233-8885.

SUN SUI WAH SEAFOOD RESTAURANT 3888 Main Street (23rd Avenue), Vancouver; (604) 872-8822.

TOJO’S 1133 West Broadway (Willow Street), Vancouver; (604) 872-8050.

VIJ’S 1480 West 11th Avenue (Granville Street), Vancouver; (604) 736-6664.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the "top 10" from the article - has being reported on Global news etc...
I had the pleasure of working in the Shangri-La's Market Restaurants kitchen and it was terrific. The food and care the chefs take in that kitchen is high class. Nothig but fresh and local products. Such a big thing here in Vancouver to use ur wonderful local products. I cant emphasis it more!

Oh and Maenam. Best Thai restaurant ever and the Exec Chef Angus An is a great guy. He just got back not too long ago from Thailand for the 2nd time for his restaurants new menu inspirations. He puts his heart and soul into it. The Spicy Beef Salad and Tom Yum soup w/ Prawns is too die for.

I could talk about food all day.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 5:11 AM

I had the eggs benedict at Shangri-la, they were superb.

The resulting horrifying stomach ache was another story. But I'd do it again.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:07 AM

Double checking on line reviews of the places as listed shows that locals have mixed reviews.

Of course locals are paying for their meals out of their own pockets and aren't paid to write puff pieces.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:10 AM

Food critics aren't compensated by the restaurants, and are often quite critical.

That said, I certainly have my own taste and put more stock in what people I know think

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 6:05 AM

the article also mentions cheap food places like japa dog he seemed pretty impressed with what we have here - we are pretty lucky

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 11:07 PM

New York street food is not for the faint of heart.

Sure, it is plentiful, with great variety, but, yuck. Vancouver has the best street food I have tasted in any city I have been to.

Like, the first time I went to New York I was so excited to have a hot dog and a pretzel. I couldn't believe they could be so bad, so I had like 4 or 5 of them in one day from different stands.

They were that bad, and a little part of me died inside.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 1:05 AM
Registered Loser

are there only cart japadogs, or do they have a permanent location? i understand they were building a location on robson i think, is that one done yet? won't it be open for the games?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 4:02 AM

yes they are building one on robson next to beard papas...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 2:32 AM

Yes. The new "restaurant" style Japadog is going inside of what i call "Japablock" with 2 other new Japanese restaurants

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining