HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 11:45 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 12:05 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Trying not to sound too much like the ranting women but shouldn’t we fix regular non-fancy transit before we even contemplate more BRT routes. Shortage of buses, poor scheduling, under serviced routes, declining ridership, safety on buses etc. are all issues that need to be addressed.
I've said that since joining this forum back in 1947. However, it's clearly not as much fun to repair your current toys as it is to buy new ones, especially ones you can't actually afford (just like the big cities do).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 12:13 AM

In yesterday's (Wed. Nov. 22 2017) issue of the Free Press, a Robert Dyck wrote a Letter saying that private corps. take part revenue from sales of Transit pre-paid fares such as tickets and passes.

He says that fares could be reduced if Safeway, Shoppers, 7-Eleven were to be discontinued from selling these items and instead more CoW venues like pools, rec. centres, and I guess add to that, WPL library branches.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:34 AM

Video Link

MTA New York "bus safety" improvements.

They are adding tech. to announce at intersections for pedestrians to watch for turning buses. "Caution bus is turning..." ... More noise pollution.

Sensors around the bus to monitor for pedestrians, cyclist "and other obstacles" too close to the bus.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I've said that since joining this forum back in 1947. However, it's clearly not as much fun to repair your current toys as it is to buy new ones, especially ones you can't actually afford (just like the big cities do).
Yeah but Winnipeg is so big city with BRT, or what we call rapid transit just like the "big boy" and "big girl" cities of Canada. Too many who call themselves urbanists and too many wannabe green politicians bought into the bullshit when what was really lacking was a properly functioning transit system.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:02 AM

^ BRT is not competing against operating dollars for transit... It's competing against other capital projects. There is simply no way that cancelling the next phase of BRT will suddenly translate into a windfall for regular transit service.

And yes, the only reason there is merit to BRT is so that we can all pretend we live in Toronto

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:12 PM

I'm a firm believer that we should be planning for the Cities future.

Right now there is an issue with Transit funding. Okay, I 100% agree the City needs to figure that out. It doesn't mean we have to cancel all planning for the future.. Then when the time comes everyone will complain how the City hasn't planned. That's how we get into situations like the Sterling Lyon thing. And now we have City engineers dropping like flies.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm a firm believer that we should be planning for the Cities future.

Right now there is an issue with Transit funding. Okay, I 100% agree the City needs to figure that out. It doesn't mean we have to cancel all planning for the future.. Then when the time comes everyone will complain how the City hasn't planned. That's how we get into situations like the Sterling Lyon thing. And now we have City engineers dropping like flies.
It's all about funding and priorities, do you really think the southwest transit busway and now second phase parker leg extension were the best use of those public dollars in the overall scheme of things?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It's all about funding and priorities, do you really think the southwest transit busway and now second phase parker leg extension were the best use of those public dollars in the overall scheme of things?
If you can see past the needs of today, then yes.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:27 PM

I think they are one piece of a larger system that will ultimately improve transit service to Winnipeg. Do I sounds like a politician? lol But yes I think it's money well spent, regardless of the Parker dog leg thing.

That's my opinion. I would prefer transit projects over roadway projects like CPT or WCP extensions. Would I love for the City to spend $300M on downtown improvements, absolutely. We should be finding money for all that stuff though. Road expansion projects being last on the list.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:35 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Road expansion projects being last on the list.
Our present roadway system is a laughing stock. Winnipeg needs new expressways and a lot of them. Better to spend money there than on a transit system with decreasing usage.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Our present roadway system is a laughing stock. Winnipeg needs new expressways and a lot of them. Better to spend money there than on a transit system with decreasing usage.
Hold your horses there buddy, everybody knows expressways are for places like LA. Why should we spend billions just so you can feel like you're living in a "BIG CITY"

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
That's backwards. We should decrease spending on transit because of decreasing ridership??

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:16 PM

"But Main st is still all cracked and broken"
"Sorry mom the mob has spoken"

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:19 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hold your horses there buddy, everybody knows expressways are for places like LA.
Well then, since we're rebuilding Empress where it curves around onto Portage, let's at least bank the curve. A *steep* bank with a minimum rather than maximum speed.

It'll even shave some time off the 20 bus route. We might want to warn any standing passengers though.

I want a rule were for every roundabout we build, we steeply bank a curve somewhere else.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:25 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Roads have real economic impact. Rapid(ish) Transit is a marginal benefit, affecting how people move around at the margins, with only a slight impact on productivity. Still, I can sort of see the SW busway, which makes some sense by getting bus traffic off main roads on a route that does have some demand. The rest of the busway plans sound like they’d yield diminishing returns, though.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Well then, since we're rebuilding Empress where it curves around onto Portage, let's at least bank the curve. A *steep* bank with a minimum rather than maximum speed.

It'll even shave some time off the 20 bus route. We might want to warn any standing passengers though.

I want a rule were for every roundabout we build, we steeply bank a curve somewhere else.
About time we started speeding up the traffic in this town!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:34 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Hey! That bus isn't signalling his lane change!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 6:30 PM

I can see why Winnipeg is a suburban City and the downtown is empty at night.

Mass transit is the devil...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 6:52 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
That's backwards. We should decrease spending on transit because of decreasing ridership??
Oh, keep spending more on transit as ridership and service decreases.

Does that make sense yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan