HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 4:21 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
I'd argue that ownership doesn't necessarily matter, at least as far as culture goes. Tim Hortons, Canada Goose, Molson, and Hudson's Bay are all foreign owned but they're still Canadian brands that are associated with Canada. The chain restaurants mentioned in this thread are mostly Canadian owned but are named and themed after American places. They're culturally American.
I'd basically agree with that. I wouldn't say ownership doesn't matter, but it would matter more from an economic standpoint than in terms of culture and branding.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:16 AM
ハルウララ

Presenting: Vancouver Wings, a Mexican pub food chain utilizing a maple leaf as a logo.

http://www.vancouverwings.com/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:25 AM
I am a typical

Now we know how the Americans feel about Boston Pizza.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 2:22 PM

^From Vancouver Wings with Mexican flavour to a restaurant in South Carolina called 'Saskatoon' that serves game meat in a decor with mountain scenes,
Sometimes the Boston Pizza (called Boston's The Gourmet Pizza in America) head scratcher gives way to American take on Canadian cuisine.

https://www.cjme.com/2016/03/07/sout...ter-saskatoon/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
We could be looking more specifically at presence of Canadian cultural names, brands, etc relative to foreign peers.

When it comes to 'storytelling' there is no question American cinema and television are dominant in English Canada.

However, we should be careful to note the successes of Canadian Music and Literature.

Take a quick look at Billboard on any given week or the NY Times best seller list and Canadian musicians and authors are likely to abound.
I find it interesting how American culture can be reflected in Canadian skew towards their southern neighbours norms, but not all the time.
Case in point, I don't watch NBA basketball unless I'm in The USA watching it live, but I came across the stark difference between how Americans & Canadians compose their selves when it comes to music.

The national anthems performed at NBA Allstars game in Chicago last week reminded me how Canadians & Americans are different.

American's can tend to "LA FWAY"
(meaning* https://youtu.be/JI1kq6CA_38 ) their music at every opportunity where as Canadians will tend to keep it clean, crisp and respectful when it comes to 'Oh Canada'.

Watch the video below from pregame last week of both the Canadian and the American national anthem that follows, mind you it would've been a bit hard to sing following after the Canadian sang

Video Link

Last edited by SaskScraper; Feb 28, 2020 at 3:19 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada