HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Loop by Claridge I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:50 PM

I appreciate the added density and the curved balconies on these, but the rest is left to be desired.. A total mix-match of design and materials (black, beige, different windows, tiniest balconies in history)...

In that last shot you can't even distinguish where one tower ends and the other begins.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:08 PM

It's interesting how invisible these buildings are. I didn't even realize that it was a two tower development until a few weeks ago, and I drive through downtown every day. They are lost in the 27 story uniformity of our blob of a CBD skyline.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:36 PM

I'm getting real tired of the black brick. Nice to see some red accents at the top though. Had not noticed those before.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:56 PM

Glad to see more housing going up in this area! It's really coming together and hopefully bring more life to Elgin. Don't care what it looks like, getting those surface parking lot replaced with housing is all that matters!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 10:39 PM

Last edited by 11a2b3; Jul 26, 2021 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 12:29 PM

Ottawa DOES NOT deserve nice things... what a waste

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:45 AM

Those red bits are disgusting.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 2:53 AM

Who's the architect?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 5:14 AM

Beyond mediocre!

Who allowed Claridge to purchase the entire downtown core?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 1:47 AM

These are so mediocre that I didn't even realize they were under construction until they topped out. They are so incredibly bland and fit so neatly into The Great Clump of Centretown that I seriously didn't even notice them.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:06 AM

It’s almost like they tried to make them ugly on purpose. I can understand wanting to cut costs above all else if you are a bush league developer like Claridge, but surely there are better ways of doing it than this. I’m convinced that Claridge actually believes their buildings look nice. I watched in horror as these went up and hoped every day that the end product might be palatable, but clearly not.

Either way, if anyone is actually serious about voicing displeasure to higher parties, as vain as it may be, I’d totally support that. Between Onyx (287 Lisgar) and now Loop, which are both within view from my living room, I truly do not feel like I live in a G7 capital, but rather some weird neo-Soviet town. Add on Claridge’s botching of Icon, which should’ve been an architectural marvel by Ottawa’s standards, and the inevitable commie blocks to come in Moon and Royale, I seriously think Claridge should face more resistance than they do now.

Rant over.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannwagon View Post
It’s almost like they tried to make them ugly on purpose. I can understand wanting to cut costs above all else if you are a bush league developer like Claridge, but surely there are better ways of doing it than this. I’m convinced that Claridge actually believes their buildings look nice. I watched in horror as these went up and hoped every day that the end product might be palatable, but clearly not.

Either way, if anyone is actually serious about voicing displeasure to higher parties, as vain as it may be, I’d totally support that. Between Onyx (287 Lisgar) and now Loop, which are both within view from my living room, I truly do not feel like I live in a G7 capital, but rather some weird neo-Soviet town. Add on Claridge’s botching of Icon, which should’ve been an architectural marvel by Ottawa’s standards, and the inevitable commie blocks to come in Moon and Royale, I seriously think Claridge should face more resistance than they do now.

Rant over.
Your note re "Claridge actually believes their buildings look nice", reminded me of another stellar developer who thinks highly of themselves but are doing 1980's blah; Lepine. What they have done to Kanata, Vanier parkway, and now Barrhaven is a travesty.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 4:35 PM

Honestly, I gave them credit for the glazed black brick. Don't see enough glazed brick these days.

However the red acne is really giving me PTSD.

I'm excited to see how the new tenants use those diving boards. Is there some sort of folding patio furniture you could install like a drawbridge so two people can sit at a table?

Edit:

1. HOW could you expect three red panels would equal an accent, on a 27 storey building? I'm still getting hot flashes from this.
2. I also give them credit for the perforated sheet metal balcony railings, especially that they cover the slab edges and are appropriately curved for those fascinating 'look at me' balconies. If only these were on ICON. Although on closer inspection, the fasteners and gaskets for the panels are ALL over the place and is frightful from up close. Does anyone have a detailed photo?

Edit 2: Adding Harley's image from post #357 here. What's up with the corner fasteners being cut in half, exposing the gaskets? The devil is in the details. But they're certainly forgiving panels, just look at the vertical curve on the install, yet it still looks ok.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 4:56 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
Who's the architect?
70 Gloucester Street & 89-91 Nepean Street were both designed by the late Dan Hanganu. After his death his team of architects joined EVOQ Architects, who completed these buildings.

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-20-0020.PDF

http://evoqarchitecture.com/en/membe...-architecture/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 10:39 PM
BANNED

F-U-GL-Y you ain’t got no alibi YOU FUGLY!!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 1:49 PM
Busy Beaver

The red lining inside the mechanical penthouse is such a puzzling detail. Who even gets to see that in normal circumstances? Maybe Claridge finally ran out of teal and red was the next available surplus colour

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 9:36 PM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:37 AM

Meh.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:16 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Nothing great, but I do like them more than some things I’ve seen people rain praises on here. Taste is very subjective.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:38 PM

Not as bad as I expected. If Moon's west facades look similar, it won't be too bad. Though having one beige and one black helps, which isn't the case with Moon, both being black.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa