HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 11:29 PM
Lenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
and look how popular it is.

You can render in all the people you want in the brochures, but would you personally honestly want to spend time underneath the Gardnier? I know I sure wont be spending a minute at those "parks".
That phase was literally just built. Give it time. Few people in the neighbourhood even know it exists at this point. That will change very rapidly as the city prepares for the Pan Am games and the area around Corktown and the Disterilly starts to take on its finished form.

You'd be surprised what people like to do in the city. Look at the success of the urban beach down at the foot of Sherbourne. Look at how popular NYC's elevated parkway is.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 12:32 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Exactly. Toronto's CBD is the most beautiful CBD skyline Canada, now it is being overtaken by lifeless, lackluster architecture and those two horrific twin towers. I'm hoping that the design of some of these get altered to something a bit less terrible.
You really need to stop saying how bad they are, when NO ONE (except the developer/architect) even knows what they will look like yet... what you are seeing is pure speculation...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 2:27 AM
gettin' rich!

I can't understand how someone can hate a skyscraper they've never seen. If these 250 meter towers looked exactly like Shangrila Vancouver, Chadlillacc would love them. If they looked like Tour des Canadiens, Rico would love it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:01 AM
ARTchitecture

When did I ever say I loved Shangri-La?

It's much better than the Toronto version, but that's not hard. Infact I'd probably favour FCP, Ritz Carlton Vancouver, and the main tower of Burrard gateway over the Living Shangri-La any day.

It's just that those twins are plain garbage and I couldn't possibly dislike them more, and 120 Harbour is just in the wrong location... though I am fond of the final design of 120 Harbour, so there you go

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:03 AM

Quote:
It's just that those twins are plain garbage and I couldn't possibly dislike them more

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
You really need to stop saying how bad they are, when NO ONE (except the developer/architect) even knows what they will look like yet... what you are seeing is pure speculation...
Than why are people putting them in renders? furthermore, why are people rendering them to be as ugly as could possibly be? Why not be atleast somewhat optimistic?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:38 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Than why are people putting them in renders? furthermore, why are people rendering them to be as ugly as could possibly be? Why not be atleast somewhat optimistic?
Why are you so intent on digging yourself deeper into that little hole you've dug? Do you really need to have it explained to you? Just how old are you again? 9? People put them in renders because they want to have an idea as to what the general massing will be like in comparison with neighboring buildings.

Why not at least be somewhat optimistic you say? Okay, just who appointed you as Canada's resident architectural expert?
While I don't think the fantasy renders are all that impressive, I think we've all seen far worse designs, except for you it seems.
Then again, this is coming from someone who thinks the Burrard gateway is superior to Shangri-la.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:55 AM
ARTchitecture

hahaha, so you are claiming superiority to my supposed 9 year old intellect yet shitting on all of my opinions.

What did the pot call the kettle again?

Annnnyways, random question for anyone who may know the answer: Was the Bank of Nova Scotia Building (1951) the last art deco skyscraper ever built in Canada, or possibly the world? The only reason I ask is because 1951 seems pretty late for a major art deco tower to be built.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:58 AM
ARTchitecture

what's more, why would I care about this alleged hole I'm digging myself? I'm talking with people who could not care less about my opinions, so why would I be even remotely be concerned with yours?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:58 AM
gettin' rich!

Unhappy

Quote:
When did I ever say I loved Shangri-La?

It's much better than the Toronto version, but that's not hard. Infact I'd probably favour FCP, Ritz Carlton Vancouver, and the main tower of Burrard gateway over the Living Shangri-La any day.

It's just that those twins are plain garbage and I couldn't possibly dislike them more, and 120 Harbour is just in the wrong location... though I am fond of the final design of 120 Harbour, so there you go
Guy you're too funny, you need to go to yuk yuk's comedy night and tell them the joke about you being member of a skyscraper website yet you don't want to see any new skyscrapers built because they're terrible.

The crowd will ask you why as a skyscraper website fanboy would you hate a skyscraper you haven't seen the final design of.

Then you tell the crowd that they're terrible because you have special powers and can see into the future when you stick your head in a hole and breath in hard.

Then they'll laugh at you.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 5:12 AM
ARTchitecture

Or maybe you could just chill out for a second? That could work.

My statements have all been towards the atrocities you rendered a few days back. The twins you rendered are hideous and would be a blight on the skyline. The end. Maybe I will change my mind when the actual designs are released, but I thought you may have had some insight into what they will ultimately look like and hence rendered them accordingly. You can all stop with the bullshit now, it was just an honest mistake.

What is with the insane hostility anyways? You guys finally found someone who won't back down and won't take your shit so you just gang up on me? Very cool, internet bullying is all the rage right now. Sorry to turn your own crap on you, but instead of looking like really smart mature guys, you look like fucking morons. Making fun of a guy because he made a mistake, then continuing to insult his character (which you know nothing about) and thinking you're so cool because of it.

Let's get real, it's an architecture forum. I made a very simple mistake, sorry I'm not yet at your calibre of genious (I mean that seriously, because I'm pretty new to the world of architecture).

Quote:
Guy you're too funny, you need to go to yuk yuk's comedy night and tell them the joke about you're a member of a skyscraper website yet you don't want to see any new skyscrapers built because they're terrible.

I love tall buildings, I hate ugly buildings.
I love seeing any kind of new major development in Canada. I hate ugly buildings.

Sue me.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 5:21 AM
gettin' rich!

What part of massing rendering do you not understand.

Have you ever heard of a concept car?

Have you ever heard of a prototype?

These renderings that you are seeing are being rendered within the building envelope and are in no way/ or no way near how the buildings will look.

We don't even know who the designer of the building is. What we're asking is what makes you so special you know what the design of the building will be before the developer has even hired an architect.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 5:25 AM
ARTchitecture

I don't think I'm "so special".

Did you read my entire post? I said I made a mistake because I thought you may have had some insight into what the final product may be. Hence the mistake I made which apparently justified an attack by several people.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 5:30 AM
gettin' rich!

Ok seen. Look on the bright side, at least you know what a massing rendering is if anyone asks.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 5:35 AM
ARTchitecture

Yayyyy

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 5:37 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
hahaha, so you are claiming superiority to my supposed 9 year old intellect yet shitting on all of my opinions.
Well its no surprise that you completely missed the point and avoided mentioning your initial argument.

Quote:
what's more, why would I care about this alleged hole I'm digging myself? I'm talking with people who could not care less about my opinions, so why would I be even remotely be concerned with yours?
Oh not to worry, I couldn't care less if you did or didn't. But obviously you haven't noticed, nobody here is in agreement with you.

Quote:
Hence the mistake I made which apparently justified an attack by several people.
Nope that's not it, its your ignorant comments that justified these responses.

And FYI it wasn't Cal who produced the fantasy render.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 6:15 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Optimistic, to say the least.
Nice depictions, but I thought he was being sarcastic posting those. The only city I've seen anything resembling street life next to a highway is Tokyo. We can improve areas next to and under highways, but it's very tough to get people to hang out there.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 6:16 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I posted the pictures above, it's happening right now..

Um... and the people are where?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 6:19 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Montreal is not, nor has it ever been a city of tall buildings.
Does a Torontonian have to point out to a Montrealer that in 1962 Montreal had taller buildings than Chicago?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 7:08 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Cool renderings but the above quoted statement is absurd. Sorry Cal. Toronto will never ever look more like an Asian city than a North American one. It is not possible.
Agree. Toronto is the quintessential north American city: big, modern, brash, layered, classic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada