HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 10:50 PM
Paradise Island

Minneapolis - darkness and light

This thread starts with the first snowfall in the middle of November. While winter in Minnesota is definitely not the most pleasant season it plays an important role in making the city what it is. It is a time for introspection, people spend a lot of time inside of their brains. The adversity of winter is a big part of what gives the city it's soul. I tried in a small way to capture the feel of it. This is my favorite photothread of all the ones I have done, I hope you all like it too. Much of our local music seems to go with the mood of winter so this one gets a soundtrack.

Video Link

Lake Calhoun:

Lake of the Isles:

Last edited by Chef; Jan 19, 2016 at 9:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:37 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I love it. I like the photos you took with all of the snow, in the bright sunlight, with everyone squinting.

FAVORITE. I could see myself having liquors delivered by H U M 'S. It's almost enough, now that we have cheap flights to Minneapolis, to fly up there for a snowbound 3 day bender.

Last edited by Centropolis; Jan 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 1:00 AM

I have never been to Minneapolis and have a notion of it all being clean-cut & tailored with fresh shiny buildings. This has been a lesson for me. Great thread.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:54 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Impressive.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:48 AM

Sweet set.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 5:24 AM

I like the grit, and this city has plenty of it...but I sometimes feel that your threads portray the city as a lot more depressing and run down than it is. I will give you this though, winter can be a depressing time, so I get the mood in this one. Good pics anyway, you always manage to find some interesting people, and you did get some sunny cheery pics in there too That December blizzard was a mess! I could hardly get around my neighborhood for a week...I am glad those piles have gone down a bit now.

PS. I think those vacant buildings in the one pic, with the old Kenny's market and Oriental market sign are part of the ice house redevelopment, right? Those are the two that are supposed to get torn down any day now I think(maybe they already have been)? I am not a fan of the surface parking with that development...but it should be good for the neighborhood overall. For those of you that are wondering what I am talking about, the "ice house" behind those buildings is to be turned into an indoor climbing venue, and some of the other buildings on the site re-worked for new retail/restaurant space.

Last edited by MNMike; Jan 5, 2011 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 6:00 AM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
I like the grit, and this city has plenty of it...but I sometimes feel that your threads portray the city as a lot more depressing and run down than it is.
That may be true, but it is what I am drawn to. I grew up in the rust belt, decay reminds me of home, and childhood; it is comforting in a way.

Also November and December were one of the lowest point of my life so I went out of my way to take depressing photos.

Last edited by Chef; Jan 6, 2011 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 6:05 AM

I could kinda feel that mood in the first pics there...Hope you are feeling better!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 7:11 AM
Paradise Island

Things have been looking up lately.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 8:11 AM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
PS. I think those vacant buildings in the one pic, with the old Kenny's market and Oriental market sign are part of the ice house redevelopment, right? Those are the two that are supposed to get torn down any day now I think(maybe they already have been)? I am not a fan of the surface parking with that development...but it should be good for the neighborhood overall. For those of you that are wondering what I am talking about, the "ice house" behind those buildings is to be turned into an indoor climbing venue, and some of the other buildings on the site re-worked for new retail/restaurant space.
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. The main tenant was supposed to be a new incarnation of Azia restaurant; Tom Pham the owner of Azia is basically out of money, his restaurant "empire" is teetering on the edge of collapse, he is being sued by his own family, and nobody wants to do business with him because he is a pain in the ass to deal with. In short they don't have a main tenant so it probably won't happen. Both storefronts now have for rent signs in the windows.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 9:37 PM

Absolutely first class thread. Love the bench in the snow and the church. The people shots go with the music really well, too.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 9:56 PM

No, I wouldn't say the "main tenant" is Azia, not at all. The indoor climbing venue is the largest part of the project. Also, Blue door pub from St. Paul has signed a letter of intent. You are right, I wouldn't count on Azia at all. Tom Pham is a mess, like you said...but he really isn't that important to this project, from what I have read. Really, that Azia building is a secondary part of the project, the main part is the rehab of the ice house, and the repositioning/demolition of the old retail buildings, and creating new storefronts further back.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:22 AM
Eurosceptic

Looks like Minneapolites really embrace the arctic climate! Nice gritty photos!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:29 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
That may be true, but it is what I am drawn to. I grew up in the rust belt, decay reminds me of home, and childhood; it is comforting in a way.

Also November and December were one of the lowest point of my life so I went out of my way to take depressing photos.
I never think depressing when I see your photos of Minny, I think they usually portray a healthy ratio of grit and life. Keep bringing it. Of course, I'm obsessed with grit, and need a small, read small dose of it. (not true life in 1980s crack fire Bronx...well or St. Louis). I've seen smoothed down urbanity, though, and I don't like that either.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:59 AM

Great pics, and the music!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:14 PM
zzzzzzzz

fantastic set. I love the way you caught people in the sunlight with the background in shadow.

I never knew Low was from Minneapolis. I heard they were Mormon so I assumed they were from SLC. How simple minded of me

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 2:13 AM
Environmental Sabotage

That was a very entertaining thread! You really possess some amazing skills!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 11:54 PM
Paradise Island

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekkle View Post
fantastic set. I love the way you caught people in the sunlight with the background in shadow.
I was trying to take photos that look like Caravaggio paintings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekkle View Post
I never knew Low was from Minneapolis. I heard they were Mormon so I assumed they were from SLC. How simple minded of me
They are from Duluth but we borrow them when it suits our purposes.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 1:21 AM

That's a great music and I always wanted to go to Minneapolis.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos