HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:23 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
PTH Hub East/West Connector Fit Out Work
via WTCProgress on Facebook

Finally. Maybe the PATH hub will open when 1 and 4 WTC are finished. This is going to be similar to the old WTC in which the complex will open even through it isn't completely finished and progress starts to occur more for the other buildings in the following years. Although the delays are pitiful, the fact that this area will be in construction for the next 10 years will bring attention.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:19 PM

temporary platform over oculus?

Does anybody know what that structure is that is extending into the oculus? Is it just some sort of platform?

and why on earth did they remove the tower crane?!

If anybody can get some pics of the recent work done on the oculus and a ground level photo, much appreciation.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewex View Post
Does anybody know what that structure is that is extending into the oculus? Is it just some sort of platform?

and why on earth did they remove the tower crane?!

If anybody can get some pics of the recent work done on the oculus and a ground level photo, much appreciation.
There is a picture of the hub as of April 17, 2012...

Enjoy

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:05 PM

yes, I can use the webcam too

I meant ground level photos of that platform and of the new construction for those of us that don't live in NYC.

And what is the platform? It's not permanent, but why do they even need it?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:50 PM

It's a crane pad. Whether or not they will be putting a crane on it remains to be seen.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Finally. Maybe the PATH hub will open when 1 and 4 WTC are finished.
The PATH hall will open in 2014 when the oculus and the Fulton Street Transit Center are completed. Everything ties in with the schedule, which is why the Performing Arts Center has trouble getting development going. The temporary entrance is now blocking development, and unless they build another temporary entrance it may not start until after the hub is complete.

They removed the crane and placed it on a movable track so that it wouldn't tamper with development of the oculus roof, and its surrounding supports. The crane pad looks too precariously perched to place a crane on, but hey, it's the WTC. It may be for a crane, or to deliver parts closer to the movable crane.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:42 PM

movable crane

Wouldn't a tower crane have been less of an obstruction that the big unwieldly base of a sliding crane which looks like it obstructs a considerable amount of the oculus? The tower crane has the smallest foot print and can hover above the project. I'm just trying to come up with a "logical" or "economical" reason they would have switched.

The temp path entrance could be moved once the greenwich street entrances are all finished right?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
They removed the crane and placed it on a movable track so that it wouldn't tamper with development of the oculus roof, and its surrounding supports. The crane pad looks too precariously perched to place a crane on, but hey, it's the WTC. It may be for a crane, or to deliver parts closer to the movable crane.
Yeah that was my thought as well. It looks pretty sketchy, but they are the experts not me. I could maybe see one of the smaller crawler cranes using it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewex View Post
Wouldn't a tower crane have been less of an obstruction that the big unwieldly base of a sliding crane which looks like it obstructs a considerable amount of the oculus? The tower crane has the smallest foot print and can hover above the project. I'm just trying to come up with a "logical" or "economical" reason they would have switched.

The temp path entrance could be moved once the greenwich street entrances are all finished right?
While a tower crane is stationary and provides a smaller base than the sliding one, the lifting capacity is greatly reduced due to to the length of the boom. This crane started in the basement of the PATH hall, and with the ovular supports going in, now, there wouldn't have been enough swing distance.

Low lifting capacity=no heavy pieces of steel, such as the perimeter columns that are being installed now.

The movable one can move back and forth as it pleases, reducing the boom length, and since the portion where it is sitting happens to be an open area and the floor of the PATH hall, the swing distance isn't a factor, and it doesn't obstruct anything. It clears the two elevator wells they just placed at the easternmost portion of the site with no problem.

The entrances along Greenwich are for MTA's Cortlandt Street station, and connect only to the Oculus through the eastern box truss(which is accessible through an unbuilt mezannine level of the oculus), and parts of the WTC mall, I believe. Neither are near completed, so the temporary PATH entrance has to stay.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:53 PM

WTCProgress on Twitter

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
WTCProgress on Twitter

I have a question, on the lower left part of that photo just under the arch of Greenwich Street there are three beams of steel, i was wondering what are they for? I really have no clue...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 7:45 AM

Silver Lining ? Let's see where this goes .

Report: Port Authority Deal Could Resume Work On 9/11 Museum

By NY1 News
04/20/2012 02:49 PM
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...on-9-11-museum

Quote:
The Port Authority has reportedly struck a deal to resume construction on the September 11th Museum.
Quote:
It's not known when construction will resume, although a completion date has been set for either June or July of next year.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCman7301 View Post
There is a picture of the hub as of April 17, 2012...

Enjoy
This ramp/platform is to offload trucks and is temporary. By backing a truck onto the ramp, it gains a better reach for the east traveler crane sitting centered in oculus on the weighted lifts that hopscotch west and stays out of the way for the eastern buildout.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialView View Post
Report: Port Authority Deal Could Resume Work On 9/11 Museum

By NY1 News
04/20/2012 02:49 PM
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...on-9-11-museum

That's some great news! - it was only a matter of time, but the sooner the better.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
That's some great news! - it was only a matter of time, but the sooner the better.
Finally! Just about time! I think its great news to hear. Looking forward to it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Finally! Just about time! I think its great news to hear. Looking forward to it.
Some of you old baby-boomers like me might remember this: to quote John Robinson from "Lost in Space"---"Alright we've wasted enough time- let's get back to work!"

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:05 PM

Lots of new steel up, as well looks like they might be pouring the rest of the concrete today on the south/west corner

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:32 PM

Quote:
I have a question, on the lower left part of that photo just under the arch of Greenwich Street there are three beams of steel, i was wondering what are they for? I really have no clue...
For the ribs.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:16 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Does anyone know when West St is going to be realigned between the WFC and WTC and the Hudson River Greenway will be redone? Will it be done with the renovation of the Winter Gardens, with the completion of the WTC Memorial, or in another phase?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Those beams embedded in the floor are to carry the load of the columns/ribs over the bus ramp which is directly below. What I am wondering is why they did not need to do that on the North side. Probably has to do with column location and spacing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture