HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 12:20 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I don't think he's kidding (maybe I'm missing your dry humour too). Atlanta Flames right? Andy's explanation sounds plausible. Or maybe that's Andy's dry humour.
No, he's correct about the name's origin.

My point was that team names don't necessarily have to describe something that exists in your city. I figured the sarcasm when I said "Calgary isn't always on fire" was obvious, but some of you take things way too literally here.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 3:31 AM
Capitalist

If and when the Jets come back to Winnipeg it just may have a significnat impact on Graham Ave .

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 4:35 AM

What ever name and logo that is chosen I would like it to be a hot seller all over. Remember the San Jose Sharks in 1991? They made big money selling merchandise all over North America. I think the best looking local team logo was the Winnipeg Thunder. The name was lame(just as lame as jets),, but the polar bear was wicked. I bought a t-shirt for traveling to Asia and lots of people loved looking at the white bear. Especially if our zoo had a polar bear again. Notice that the Thunder used the same colours as the Sharks.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 4:49 AM
Armchair urbanist

My Dad took me to a game when I was a wee lad. I don't remember much, other than it was exciting and the Thunder won in OT (IIRC )

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 5:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

winnipeg wha?

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 8:59 AM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
What ever name and logo that is chosen I would like it to be a hot seller all over. Remember the San Jose Sharks in 1991? They made big money selling merchandise all over North America. I think the best looking local team logo was the Winnipeg Thunder. The name was lame(just as lame as jets),, but the polar bear was wicked. I bought a t-shirt for traveling to Asia and lots of people loved looking at the white bear. Especially if our zoo had a polar bear again. Notice that the Thunder used the same colours as the Sharks.

Pretty badass logo. I want the team to come back!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 8:59 AM
GQMF

Quote:

Pretty badass logo. I want the team to come back!

Edit: or the cyclones!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 3:58 PM

I remember the antics of Thunder mascot KABOOM moreso than the actual basketball, and now enjoy seeing the same guy as the Raptor (and oftentimes, is still better than the basketball...)

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yopaul View Post
I remember the antics of Thunder mascot KABOOM moreso than the actual basketball, and now enjoy seeing the same guy as the Raptor (and oftentimes, is still better than the basketball...)
Yeah, the Raptor is the real deal:

Video Link

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 5:07 PM

Do you remember Benny? The most forgettable mascot in pro sports of all time. I couldn't remember,, so I google it. Looks like a poppa smurf with a mohawk and a Rudolf's red nose. Makes me want to puke and kick his head in.

Last edited by eman; May 24, 2010 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Do you remember Benny? The most forgettable mascot in pro sports of all time. I couldn't remember,, so I google it. Looks like a poppa smurf with a mohawk and a Rudolf's red nose. Makes me want to puke and kick his head in.
Ummmm, really? Puke? AND kick his head in?

You don't feel seriously weird in sayin' that?

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Ummmm, really? Puke? AND kick his head in?

You don't feel seriously weird in sayin' that?

No I don't,, its hockey, violence is part of the game. And mascots are serious business,,, if fans think your mascot is embarrassing it costs money.

But really the jets mascot looks rather ugly and amateur. Pro teams need to make money on everything to break even,,, a lame mascot will cost money. I remember being at jet games as a kid and feeling embarrassed for how lame benny was (both versions). Even Buzz and Boomer are a little more gifted in the looks and cute department and truly entertaining.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 7:16 PM

The MASCOT costs the team money?

Ummm. Sure. Okay.

Heh heh I think mebbee you are taking this Benny the mascot thing a little too seriously.

I'm willing to bet you'd welcome him with open arms were the Jets to return to town and Benny were to accompany them.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 7:36 PM

Hard core fans will buy everything,,, I am not a hardcore fan,, if it looks like crap I won't buy and wear it. Hardcore fans should be enough for a team to break even,, profits come from casual fans. So,, YES a lame mascot,, logo and game day entertainment cost money in LOST sales. The jets logo is lame,, I never bought any jets merchandise, but I did buy Winnipeg Thunder shirt and a Sharks stuff. I would even venture to say,, poor merchandising played a roll in loosing the jets in the first place,, among other things. I hope they never use the name jets,, the logo or mascots. I think Chipman has done an excellent job with the Moose and I bet he would agree the jets logo, name and mascot are a liability.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Hard core fans will buy everything,,, I am not a hardcore fan,, if it looks like crap I won't buy and wear it. Hardcore fans should be enough for a team to break even,, profits come from casual fans. So,, YES a lame mascot,, logo and game day entertainment cost money in LOST sales. The jets logo is lame,, I never bought any jets merchandise, but I did buy Winnipeg Thunder shirt and a Sharks stuff. I would even venture to say,, poor merchandising played a roll in loosing the jets in the first place,, among other things. I hope they never use the name jets,, the logo or mascots. I think Chipman has done an excellent job with the Moose and I bet he would agree the jets logo, name and mascot are a liability.
The Jets logo is awesome...it's timeless. And I love Benny! I don't really know how much cooler the Jets mascot could have been...not even sure why that's a big deal...it's a freaking mascot. By the way...Mick E. Moose is the lamest shit ever!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 9:20 PM

There was a time when Jets merchandising was amoungst the highest rated. It still sells well. But like most things beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Anyhoo, I seriously doubt "a lame mascot or logo" cost the team much money. It certainly played no part in the team leaving Winnipeg.

I've no answer for the game day entertainment comment. Other than the team play what is meant by that comment?

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 11:58 PM

Benny looks like he should be adopted by Boston Pizza. No disrespect. Buzz and Boomer are infinitely cooler.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 3:39 AM

my shops teacher in gr8 was benny the mascot!

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 3:55 AM
surely you agree with me

they need to market the jets like the riders or packers market themselves....the little underdog team that everyone can support....

they need to find a counter culture niche that plays off winnipeg's obscurity....put the queen back in the arena....play up the small town thing...they will never out toronto toronto, so go the complete opposite...be the grunge music of the NHL.

call them the winnipeg hicks or something and have a great non traditional logo that makes fun of winnipeg so people in the states who dont even care about hockey notice it.

celebrate that we will be one of the smallest pro sports markets in north america...embrace it...dont fight it.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 4:37 AM

The Winnipeg Pegasi

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan