HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
Given that this forum is the closest thing that we've got to a time-lapse arena construction cam in Calgary, I think the Coldrsx's post was well-played.

Whatever the configuration of the arena and stadium and their concourses I just hope they have decent food and beer. The Saddledome's offerings are a joke. I was at a baseball game in SF and was amazed to see a good selection of West Coast microbrews at reasonable prices, along with a great selection of food options. Our sports facilities should support and showcase local offerings like Wildrose, Village, etc.
I thought it was well played as well. Only think that made me laugh more was Spring's post. He does a pretty good Rusty.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:38 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
According to this list, the ballpark in SF is in no way unique - rather it is utterly mediocre (in baseball terms) of their beer offerings; compare it to Seattle. I suspect that ballparks offer so much better beer than other stadiums is because there has to be something going on there to attract people; it's not like the sport is any good to watch.
I was just about to post the same link. Seattle does it right! The fact that they have Elysian and Pyramid on tap BLOWS my mind!

Last edited by Innersoul1; Oct 29, 2014 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
According to this list, the ballpark in SF is in no way unique - rather it is utterly mediocre (in baseball terms) of their beer offerings; compare it to Seattle. I suspect that ballparks offer so much better beer than other stadiums is because there has to be something going on there to attract people; it's not like the sport is any good to watch.
Well this has completely changed my view on baseball. Even some NFL teams seem to be embracing this (even if a good chunk only offer craft beer owned by the big guys, many have broken away).

I have to say, I'm rather jealous.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:01 PM

I have been to a couple of Games in SF and Seattle and can say the beer selection is quite good at both. since I do not drink the big brewery beers it was a pleasant surprise I could have something local. along with good food. But I will say SF has better food that Seattle.

Its something I miss when going to a sports facility here.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:51 PM

Great seeing this thread bumped continually with talk about baseball park beer selection

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:59 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Great seeing this thread bumped continually with talk about baseball park beer selection
Do you have any extra tidbits you could share? I'm thinking you are on the inside track.

WV would be a neat location if it were turned into a destination outside of events. Maybe the City's portion could be fixing the flyover speghetti monster? I like the idea of building over freeways if needed, but is it feasible?
Sorry that I have nothing productive to add.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
But I will say SF has better food that Seattle.
Not surprising, since SF has some of the best food in the country in general.

The food/drink service in the Dome is definitely still from the 80s era of thinking. It doesn't have anything that you could consider high quality. Anything good (i.e. the glorious nacho sauce) falls under that "I like it because its unhealthy comfort food" category. But if you'd actually want to have something of higher quality or relative health, you better sneak it in.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:04 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Wherever the new stadium complex ends up being the food and beverage services NEED to improve. Even the latest changes at the Dome have yielded some pretty poor results. Certainly, an expanded concourse will lead to some better food options along with some restaurants that have views of the ice. Edmonton's new rink will have loge seating with access to it's own food and beverage section, that will be pretty awesome. There also better be some awesome beer!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:11 PM

Last night had to sign for my concession purchases and despite having what looked like a perfectly functional fill from the bottom beer system, they hand poured from a tap. A little bit of TLC would help a lot.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:29 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Last night had to sign for my concession purchases and despite having what looked like a perfectly functional fill from the bottom beer system, they hand poured from a tap. A little bit of TLC would help a lot.
What do you mean they poured from a tap? And what do you mean by a bottom beer system? I've volunteered at one particular concession stand with our non-profit group and am curious as to what you're speaking about. All beer in our stand is on-tap (so to speak) from kegs that are a floor below us.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
What do you mean they poured from a tap? And what do you mean by a bottom beer system? I've volunteered at one particular concession stand with our non-profit group and am curious as to what you're speaking about. All beer in our stand is on-tap (so to speak) from kegs that are a floor below us.
The Saddledome installed this new pouring mechanism (a year or two ago IIRC) that is more efficient than from the traditional tap provides (they never removed the taps from the concessions though, seems like it's a back-up)

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:37 PM

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:45 PM

NM. Beaten to it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:01 PM
Moran supreme

Aah, we don't have those in our stand - we still do it the old fashioned way from a regular tap.

I don't think the bottoms up equipment is even installed in our stand and for sure, we do not have the glasses that would accommodate bottoms up equipment - this I know because I've inventoried everything in our stand.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:05 PM

It's always impressive to see the beer and food selection in American ballparks. PNC Park has a great selection and giant, cheap Yuengling cans. I ate scotch eggs and drank many Dogfishhead 60 min IPAs at a Pirates game. At the Black Keys concert this week I ate and drank at Briggs before going to the Dome. Flames are leaving money on the table.

Canada is far behind when it comes to the monopoly of beer sponsorships. Look at the Stampede, our festivals, etc. Canadian, Coors Light or Twisted Tea. Hope our new facilities are progressive when it comes to looking at food and beverage options.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:14 PM
Moran supreme

So back on topic, would 27,000 suffice for a new football stadium?

And possibly the thread title should be changed because it's seems more of a reality that the next big complex will be an arena and stadium all-in-one deal. Or just a new thread?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Well, it would, but I don't think it would be ideal. The team already averages around 30K and that is in a really bad stadium, though I don't think the ideal number is that far off. I figure 32-35,000 expandable to 45-50,000 would be the ticket. 27,000 without the ability to significantly expand for big events is definitely too small.

Quote:
And possibly the thread title should be changed because it's seems more of a reality that the next big complex will be an arena and stadium all-in-one deal. Or just a new thread?
Might as well just wait for them to announce something before a new thread. Hopefully won't be too long.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:05 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:

Personally, I think 27 000 is quite a bit too small for Calgary. It really ought to be 32k+, IMO, with the potential to be expanded to 40k+ for special events.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:46 PM

First spy shots of the proposed arena for the Flames

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:54 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
First spy shots of the proposed arena for the Flames

It's beautiful! Really captures the essence of Calgary. A++

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates