HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:35 PM

Terrasan development 9s. proposed

Terrasan development 9s. proposed. Dundas@English

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:45 AM
Londoner

Some pics of the Terrasan development 9s. proposed!!!

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:40 AM
Londoner

Update!!!!

Tue, May 12, 2009

Firefighters are battling a blaze at London’s storied Embassy Hotel, two months after the legendary water hole closed for good to make way for a 150-unit condo project.

Half a dozen fire trucks were gathered near the Dundas Street landmark tonight, the crowd kept back. Flames shot from the roof at the back of the building shortly after 8:30 p.m.

Heavy smoke billowed through the neighbourhoods north of Dundas Street, reducing visibility to zero in some areas and choking residents.

Firefighters battled the blaze with two aerial trucks, one in the rear and another out front as flames curled skyward from the building’s centre area.

Police moved hundreds of onlookers away after firefighters raised fear of an explosion.

Sirens could be heard off and on as new crews arrived to help.

In the crowd was 42-year-old Pat, who didn’t want to give her last name as she recalled sitting in the Embassy, drinking with friends as an underage teenager.

“I’ve drank there, my kids did – we’re talking two, three generations,” she said. “This is too bad because it was definitely a landmark. Lots of kids got in trouble in there. I know. I was one of them going in under age.”

Rob Bazinet, 32, who worked at the Embassy for 10 years until it closed and leaving as its last general manager, said it was a “sad” ending for the building.

“It’s sad it ended this way,” said Bazinet, adding old wooden furniture stored in some of the rooms could be fueling the fire.

“It was a community music spot for 50 years. Then you get out-of-town owners who come in and don’t fix anything and let it run down.”

Sarah Merritt, manager of the Old East Village Business Improvement Area, was also saddened, but confident the planned re-development will still go ahead and hopeful the property will be cleaned up after the fire.

“I don’t know what to say,” said Merritt. “They were planning to demolish the first two buildings this summer. “I’m sure the developer and the city will work something out. But it was a real landmark. There’s a lot of history in there.”

Built in the early 1900s, the hotel was to be demolished and a 150-unit condominium project built in its place.

It wasn’t immediately clear how tonight’s fire began.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Landmark? Looks like a pile of shit.

Quote:
“I’ve drank there, my kids did – we’re talking two, three generations,” she said. “This is too bad because it was definitely a landmark. Lots of kids got in trouble in there. I know. I was one of them going in under age.”
Mother of the year.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 10:27 PM

Haha yea. I love how they portray it so idyllicly.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 1:09 AM

Its official she's comming down

Embassy Hotel sign comes down

Sat, May 16, 2009

By KELLY PEDRO
LONDON FREE PRESS

The landmark sign of the Embassy Hotel came down just before 6 p.m. Saturday as a crowd of about two dozen people looked on.

A crew doused the remnants of Tuesday night’s fire as the demolition into the former hotel/bar continued.

Greg Moir, who worked as a waiter at the historic building for almost 10 years in the late 1970s, couldn’t describe how he felt as he watched heavy machinery dig into the building and shake off the bricks.

“I’ve got memories in there,” he said. “I never expected a fire to rush its demolition, but it was coming down anyways.”

A company had bought the building and others on the block to make way for a 150-unit condo project.

The legendary hotel was built in the early 1900s and closed about two months ago.

One man got a piece of the building’s history when a crew member handed him a brick.

“We knew it was coming down and it’s just sad to see a fire destroy it the way it did,” said the man.

“I’ll remember it till the day I die.”

Joanna Niedziela came to the Dundas Street building for one last look.

“I didn’t even know this was happening today,” she said of the demolition.

“I went here and to The Wick so it’s kind of sad going through this again.”

The hotel was destroyed in a spectacular fire that broke out about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 4:16 PM

Total site is fenced off including the sidewalk. There is some equiptment out back of the site but no one on sit for a few days now

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 2:49 PM

hey guys dundas is closed pretty much from hewit to english does anybody got any new on whats happenin?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 2:50 AM
The Vomit Bag.

More of Anne-Marie's "Best and Brightest" (aka, highest salaries and sick-days, and moreover, mediocre results)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 4:11 PM

site prep well under way all buildings on the site are destroyed they are now diging/ clearing the rubble.Pics are by me but for some reason they dont work when i post them so heres the url's.http://www.flickr.com/photos/42366848@N07/3980587996/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4236684...n/photostream/these are about a week old

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:14 AM
Londoner

Nice pics!!!!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 9:38 PM

Thanx

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Awesome! Thanks for the pictures. What is going on across the street at Medallion? Also, let us know when a sales office goes up!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 2:03 AM

Demo of the building is well under way. I'll keep my eye out for the sales center

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 8:21 PM

they have stopped work for the winter and will resume in the spring

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 9:30 PM

excavator woking on site today looks like were back in action

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 12:37 AM
bro

Unhappy

Took a few pictures of the old Embassy site today, didn't really look like much has been happening. The Medallion 21 & 24-storey site seems to be progressing fairly well, but the Terrasan 9-storey seems to have stalled.

I honestly think that these buildings will really help to turn this area around. In fact, I wouldn't mind living in one of them myself (assuming a grocery store gets built in the area). Old East Village has a lot of character.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 6:53 PM
bro

Went by this site recently and it seems like most of the debris has been cleared. Hopefully that's a good sign that the development is still on track.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 7:56 PM

Angry

Looks like the development is abandoned I saw a for sale sign on the fence. It's too bad would have been great for the area.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 8:44 PM
bro

Unhappy

You're right, that is a bummer. Hopefully the 2 other major Old East developments don't suffer any setbacks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates