HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Hub in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 6:01 PM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There really aren't any height limits in that area, there are limits in the size of any development. A few years ago, there was talk of limiting the height of Atlantic Yards tallest tower so it wouldn't surpass the WSB building as Brooklyn's tallest, but that has already been surpassed and will be again soon. Further out into the neighborhoods, zoning plays a role in just how high you can build.
Oh okay I see. Well hopefully the bulk of new projects also bring retail, which they seem to be doing so far. Brooklyn needs way more then what we have, for the amount of people that lives here (& the many more that'll be coming in).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 5:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Multiple permits filed January 25...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...r=02&restore=1

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:44 AM
aka Studdedleather

Demolition Looms at the Hub Development Site

Quote:
You can expect demolition any day now at the large site at 333 Schermerhorn Street in Downtown Brooklyn. (It’s just down the street from the lot on the corner of Schermerhorn and Nevins that sold recently for more than $10,000,000.) It’s the future site of The Hub, a 52-story, 720-unit rental development. The DOB issued permits to demolish the six-story building on site in the fall. They also issued demo permits for the other three-story building last week. As of this morning, the netting’s up but there weren’t any construction workers on site. The ETA for this development is 2014. However, it looks like the DOB disapproved a building application in December, so it may be a little while before we see any construction of the upwards sort.
Any progress is good progress! =)

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013...e/?stream=true

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:59 AM
New Yorker for life

One of the towers hellping to push the boundaries of Brooklyn's skyline upwards.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:56 PM

Interested to see how this one's facade will look.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 7:47 AM
Everywhere all at once

In case any of you were wondering (no secret that I was) those #'s of units total 8,167 new units. That's units, not residents. You're banking easily on anywhere from 9,000 to 10,000 new residents of downtown Brooklyn in the next...what, five years? Unprecedented is the only word really.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
In case any of you were wondering (no secret that I was) those #'s of units total 8,167 new units. That's units, not residents. You're banking easily on anywhere from 9,000 to 10,000 new residents of downtown Brooklyn in the next...what, five years? Unprecedented is the only word really.
Yeah, it is amazing, but it doesn't end there...

from the article
http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...lding-bonanza/

Quote:
The flood of new inventory will be concentrated predominantly in Downtown Brooklyn, where, in addition to the projects by Steiner and AvalonBay, the Stahl Organization is building a 378-unit condo-and-rental tower at 388 Bridge Street, and the Dermot Company is developing 326 rental apartments at 66 Rockwell Place.

Williamsburg, of course, also remains a prime location for new development, with at least 3,000 units slated to come online in the next several years....Longer term, also, Forest City Ratner has more than 6,400 residential units coming down the pike at Atlantic Yards over the next two decades

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
What's crazy is that this is all just a drop in the bucket of housing supply. New York City has about 3.4 million housing units, and it would probably need 30 or 40 thousand new units a year just to keep up with demand and grow 1% per year. As is, the housing stock is only growing by 0.4% per year or so.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 1:04 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130319924

A wave of development looms in downtown Bklyn
Some 14 residential properties, one 52 stories tall, are expected to be added in the area in the next two to three years. Of 4,746 planned apartments, more than 20% will be affordable.

By Matt Chaban
March 14, 2013

Quote:
The forest of apartment towers that has sprouted in downtown Brooklyn in recent years may just be the beginning of the area's upward growth according to a local business group, which predicts a second wave to the recent construction boom. The boom began with a rezoning in 2004, which paved the way for new office and commercial towers along Flatbush Avenue and the surrounding blocks. Since then, 29 buildings with nearly 5,300 units have sprung up.

"You look at the residential boom that already took place, you look at the once-in-a-generation projects coming online, like Barclays Center and Brooklyn Bridge Park, you could conjecture, 'Oh, well, that's kind of the exclamation point, and we're done,'" said Tucker Reed, president of the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership. "But no, I think really that's just the beginning, and you start to see that now with the next wave of development that's coming."

Among the new developments embracing the public-private model is BAM South, a 32-story tower being built by Dumbo developer Two Trees Management. In addition to 300 apartments, 20% of which will be set aside as affordable housing, the base of the building will contain 50,000 square feet of cultural space owned by the city.

Another 80/20 project, The Dermot Company's 47-story project on Flatbush Avenue, known as 66 Rockwell, will be the first to market since the bust, with 327 apartments coming to market in a few months.

The Hub, developed by Doug Steiner, owner of the eponymous movie studio in the nearby Brooklyn Navy Yard, will soon rise a few blocks away. That 52-story tower is slated to boast 750 units.

"We called it The Hub because there are so many great neighborhoods radiating out from our site, it's got great transportation, it's got great shopping and restaurants, and now it's going to have the best-in-class buildings," Mr. Steiner said. "Downtown Brooklyn really is becoming the heart of the Brooklyn everybody's talking about."

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 7:35 PM

Looking at the new census estimates it seems like Brooklyn is gonna need all of that and more.

On a selfish note I am hoping that with the time change and the dark ages behind us someone will find the time to do a full sweep of all the sites over there and take photos.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 2:27 AM
BANNED

Any updates?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 11:02 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

I can't believe this article isn't here already!

YIMBY Update: The Hub, 333 Schermerhorn Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON NOVEMBER 7TH 2013 AT 11:30 AM

Quote:
...demolition of the dilapidated buildings formerly on-site is now complete.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 11:37 PM
BANNED

These has to be the fugliest tower of all the fugly towers going up in Brooklyn.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 8:47 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/re...pagewanted=all

The Other Downtown

By MICHELLE HIGGINS
November 22, 2013

Quote:
.....In October, the area’s cultural offerings expanded with, among others, the Theater for a New Audience at 262 Ashland Place, a.k.a. the Polonsky Shakespeare Center. Just down the street, Two Trees Management is developing a 32-story apartment tower atop a base that will also include space shared by the Brooklyn Academy of Music, a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library and an arts group. And a few more blocks away, at the intersection of Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues, is the billion-dollar Barclays Center, home of the Brooklyn Nets and host to concerts and other entertainment.

None of this has been lost on developers determined to outdo one another with tall, glassy, amenity-laden high-rises. The Stahl Organization’s 388 Bridge recently claimed the title of tallest building in the borough. Topping out over the summer at 590 feet, with 53 stories, it pushed past the Brooklyner, a 51-story fully occupied rental at 111 Lawrence Street, which had held the lead since it opened in 2010.

In Brooklyn, where the landscape has long been low-rise buildings and brownstones, 388 Bridge holds a unique perch, with 360-degree views encompassing the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings and the Statue of Liberty. Two wind turbines atop the tower will power a bank of lights on the crown of the building. And superfast Fujitec elevators will whisk residents up to the rooftop terrace at 1,000 feet a minute. The building is scheduled to open early next year as a condo-rental hybrid with 378 apartments; 20 percent of the 234 rental units will be listed below market rate.

But 388 Bridge’s lofty reign won’t last long. AvalonBay Communities broke ground in August on a 57-story residential building nearby at 100 Willoughby Street. It is to have 826 rental units and amenities including a gym, a playroom, a rooftop lounge with Manhattan skyline views, an indoor dog spa and an outdoor dog run with separate areas for large and small dogs. Rental prices have not been set, said Martin Piazzola, a senior vice president of AvalonBay, “but if we were leasing today, I would expect rents to be in the $55- to $60-a-square-foot range.”

Anticipating the challenger, publicists for 388 Bridge are quick to point out that their turbine-topped tower will offer condos in addition to rentals, and thus will remain the tallest building you can own a piece of in Brooklyn.

Not as tall but still a skyline-changer, the Dermot Company’s 66 Rockwell, a 42-story glass tower near the Brooklyn Academy of Music, will also offer impressive views from a rooftop deck. Of its 326 apartments, 20 percent will be below market rate. Leasing is expected to begin this month, with studios starting at $2,400 a month, one-bedrooms at $3,300 and two-bedrooms at $4,930.

And there is more to come. Next door to H & M, United American Land has applied for permits to develop 120 luxury rental lofts with 15-foot ceilings at 248 Duffield Street, an 1893 Romanesque Revival structure known as the Offerman Building that has had a succession of retail tenants. Also, steel is going up for the first of two residential towers at the mixed-use City Point development, on the site of the former Albee Square Mall and bounded by the Fulton Mall, Gold and Willoughby Streets and Flatbush Avenue.

The project, by Acadia Realty Trust, Curbcut Urban Partners and Washington Square Partners, will include 680 rental apartments, 125 of them for moderate- and low-income residents. And in early 2014, Douglas Steiner, a developer and the chairman of Steiner Studios, expects to begin construction at 333 Schermerhorn Street on the Hub, a 52-story tower with about 750 rentals.

Mordechai Werde, an associate broker at Douglas Elliman who specializes in new development in Brooklyn, said Downtown Brooklyn was “definitely coming into its own,” adding, “People see it as a much more residential neighborhood.”

Mike Shilshtut in Downtown Brooklyn on the roof of 189 Schermerhorn Street, where he and his wife, Sophie Zhang, recently bought a condo.

An aerial view facing east from the top of the condo-rental 388 Bridge, showing the site of the mixed-use City Point development at the old Albee Square

At 53 stories, 388 Bridge, left, is for now the tallest building in Brooklyn. Right, 66 Rockwell is a 42-story 326-unit rental.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 2:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

did anyone tell them the hub is 3rd av/149th st? i know, i know. ha.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 5:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Permits have been approved for work here...I'm not sure if its still 53 floors though.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=05

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 8:51 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Construction Update: 333 Schermerhorn Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON MAY 15TH 2014 AT 7:00 AM

333 Schermerhorn Street — photo by Colin Miller

Quote:
Excavation is in full swing at 333 Schermerhorn Street – aka ‘The Hub’ – which will soon become one of the tallest buildings in Brooklyn. Douglas Steiner of Steiner Studios is the site’s developer, while Dattner is the architect.

Building permits were partially approved in March, though the most recent filings come with some changes for the tower, as its floor count has shrunk from 53 to 44. The previously rejected plan exam listed 754 units, and while that number has decreased to 581, the planed height has actually seen a small bump, to 577 feet.

While the overall size decrease is somewhat surprising, the building’s impact will still be significant, as its residential space will total nearly 500,000 square feet; a 35,000 square foot retail component will also span the first three levels.

Renderings of the tower have been relatively lacking, though new images appear to have been posted on-site, and the building’s rooftop has seen a major change. Instead of a pronounced and distinctive crown, the metalwork has been simplified into a basic cube, in what would appear to be an effort to value-engineer the project.

[...]

Completion of 333 Schermerhorn Street is expected in 2017.

333 Schermerhorn Street — photo by Colin Miller

NEW YORK | The Hub (333 Schermehorn) | 577 FT | 44 FLOORS

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 9:16 AM
BANNED

Maybe it's just me, but I don't notice a difference in the crown?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 8:31 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of June 2nd, 2014...
Photo Credit: Tectonic

©Tectonic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive